Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Bidding wars

Apprentice

Bidding wars

Hello all

Just off of the new transfer market, and it got me thinking after losing a 10 round bidding war and as many tokens, what is the record for the rounds of an auction? I know some have 18 or so, so its not mine for sure! And the bigger question, does the TM need to be a bit better in the bidding process to help those that dont buy tokens to have a realistic chance? I mean after 5 rounds keep reducing the time instead of x rounds at 20 seconds Let me know your thoughts!

Picture of my auction: Bidding wars-photo.png
    Last edited by David Malone; 06-03-2014 at 03:08 PM.
    Competition Season 1 Season 2 Season 3 Season 4 Season 5
    League 1st 2nd 3rd 1st 3rd
    Champions League N/A Semi Finals 1st Round of 16 Final
    T11 Cup N/A Qualifiers Playoffs Semi Finals Last 16

No idea David. I buy some tokens (not many) but don't get involved in bidding wars. The maximum I have went is 5 rounds. If it goes that far I've placed 4 early bids to give the impression (I think) that I'm keen. 5th round I don't bid until...... - if opponent is leader and doesn't bid I fire 1 in at the last minute - if he does too or bids before then I walkaway. Only did it 4 times and won 3.

Putting limits on things usually favours those with the most - could end up with folks just spamming bids. But maybe someone will come up with an idea.

But back on topic, from postings on here, over 40 is not that rare.
    Last edited by Buffs Mad; 06-03-2014 at 03:47 PM. Reason: added 'until......'

Famous
    I've seen rounds going up as high as mid 70's! Some people just don't like losing.

Apprentice
    Sometimes you just want a player, and I do try to keep a cap on bids, 35T really helps that But you are right, restraint is key And yep, I know the idea has flaws, as does any idea, but it's just a thought on events from my perception
    John Naish likes this.
    Competition Season 1 Season 2 Season 3 Season 4 Season 5
    League 1st 2nd 3rd 1st 3rd
    Champions League N/A Semi Finals 1st Round of 16 Final
    T11 Cup N/A Qualifiers Playoffs Semi Finals Last 16

Famous
    Longest I've seen with my own eyes is in the 50-60 round range.

I did come across a thread on this forum while lurking awhile back of someone posting a picture of a bidding war they witnessed that last 98 rounds. Ironically, it was a pair of level 2 managers going at it.

Dreamer
    I've sat back and watched a few good ones. I use a few strategies:
    -Never go past 6 rounds (since a lot drop out at 5)
    -Never go past round 3 if there's more than 1 other bidder still in. One of them's bound to be an idiot.
    -I check out the stats for my opponents, you can generally spot token farmers/buyers from the quality of the squad, plus factor in nationality (I'm not going to go into national stereotypes here - though me being listed as from New Zealand must confuse some ) and available funds
    -There's generally 2 types of bidder in the knockout rounds*. The last-second sneak play merchant, and the scare-em-off by bidding as soon as the round starts to show he really means business type. Against the former I try to bid early in the round for the 1st 2 or 3 rounds, and then hold for a last-second bid in the hope that the other guy assumes he's won on the previous round. Against the latter I let him place 1st bid and follow along mid-late round, hoping he'll give up before round 6.

* though at the start of last season I came up against a guy who re-bid any time someone else placed one. He'd blown through 10 tokens by round 3. I broke my own rules (it'd been a good day's token farming) and stayed in to round 8, purely to make him burn 2 tokens to my 1 each round.

If you lose in an auction, you should get back half the tokens you wagered (rounded down).

Just bid during off-peak periods during the day, it'll help when you have limited tokens. During that period most would just bid and leave it there.
    Go Leo L24 Farmer ---

Very Athletic L20 (Semi-Retired) --- Real Messy L16 (Retired) --- Athletic Kuching L17 --- Los Galaxy L14 28T

Dreamer
    Longest winning bidding war - 37 ... longest bidding war with negative (lost) result - 33 (fed up and said .. hey geezer, you pay that crap money by yourself ) .... Longest bidding war while selling my player (66 - was eating dinner and watching and praying as two Turkish guys were doing magical fight )
    John Naish likes this.

Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirrowka View Post
    Longest winning bidding war - 37 ... longest bidding war with negative (lost) result - 33 (fed up and said .. hey geezer, you pay that crap money by yourself ) .... Longest bidding war while selling my player (66 - was eating dinner and watching and praying as two Turkish guys were doing magical fight )
    66? Sounds like every manager's dream in this game at least! Especially if it's a player who you wouldn't normally get very much for!
    FC Bristbury
    Season 5, Level 5
    League Winners Levels: 1, 2, 3 & 4
    Champions League Winners Levels 2 & 3
    Double X 2 (League and Champions League), Levels: 2 & 3

Murray to win Wimbledon!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast