Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Question about tie-breaking system.

Rookie

Question about tie-breaking system.

I know you are clicking this thinking it is another away goal tiebreaker question. It is not!

In my CL semi, I won the first game at home 2-1. In the second game, my opponent won at home 2-1. So we even tied the away goal tiebreaker at 1-1!

Then we went on and played an extra period in which neither of us scored. Then we had a penalty shootout.

The extra period surprised me. I thought we would go straight into the penalty kicks because we had tied for the series.

My question is:

Was the extra period completely independent of the second game? It didn't occur to me at the time, but I am now thinking that if my opponent had outscored me in the extra time, I would have lost the whole series. I had been playing as if all I needed to do was score one more goal to win the away goal tiebreaker and that the number of goals my opponent scored was irrelevant.

Thanks for replies.

English Forum Moderator Cat Harrison's Avatar
    Whomever scored in extra time would win, and the shootout would not occur.
    andrewh likes this.
    Expressed above is my own opinion. Your results may vary.
    ▬ ▬ ▬▬ ▬ ▬▬ ▬ >BvB
    < ▬ ▬▬ ▬ ▬▬ ▬ ▬
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Harrison View Post
    Whomever scored in extra time would win, and the shootout would not occur.
    So essentially the game was over at 2-1 and the extra time was like a little mini game for the series. A 1-1 tie in the extra time would have also led to penalty kicks.

I realized this on my own, but it took until after the game. Is how this game played out (the extra time) something normal in tournaments outside of Nordeus that most fans would immediately recognize and understand? Or is it a very unclear situation where a newbie is at a severe disadvantage?

Also doesn't the little mini tie-breaker game (the extra time) in the second game give the home team of the second game an advantage? This is why I assumed we would immediately go to penalty kicks.

Apprentice
    If you had both scored in extra time, the away goal would have counted.

You have to be a bit careful with this is football, as it changes constantly and may actually be different depending on the competition.
    andrewh and Cat Harrison like this.

Article 8
    Away goals and extra time under the knockout system
    8.01 For matches played under the knockout system, if the two teams involved in a
    tie score the same number of goals over the two legs, the team which scores
    more away goals qualifies for the next stage. If this procedure does not
    produce a result, i.e. if both teams score the same number of goals at home
    and away, two 15-minute periods of extra time are played at the end of the
    second leg. If, during extra time, both teams score the same number of goals,
    away goals count double (i.e. the visiting club qualifies). If no goals are scored
    during extra time, kicks from the penalty mark (Article 17) determine which
    club qualifies for the next stage.

Rookie
    Thank you everyone and thank you Buffs.

Now I understand the rules that were applied.

Now I understand that there are not uniform rules applied throughout the sport, that everyone understands this, and that it is the individual's responsibility to understand which rules apply to their current circumstances.

The rules that Buffs quoted are from UEFA. Does T11 follow all UEFA rules for tiebreakers?

If I run into a similar situation again where I do not understand the rules, how do I learn what they are? Other than asking here? If T11 is going to enforce rules, shouldn't the rules be posted somewhere or post that UEFA tiebreakers apply?

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewh View Post
    The rules that Buffs quoted are from UEFA. Does T11 follow all UEFA rules for tiebreakers?
    I should bloody hope so! I mean, what kind of Football Game wouldn't follow UEFA Competition Rules? I, for one, would be astounded, if they DIDN'T follow UEFA Rules.

T11's Champions League uses UEFA Champions League Rules - they are posted as a pdf on UEFA site prior to each rl CL. (Group stage tiebreaker is covered in Article 7, Knockout as above in Article 8). T11 also did an article on CL Group stage tie-breaker on the website.

Here it is: http://www.topeleven.com/news/champions_league/
    Last edited by Buffs Mad; 08-21-2014 at 12:42 PM.

Rookie
    So let me please answer my own questions to see if I understand now. Would you all please let me know if I got them right? Thanks. Oh, and this might also lead to another question or two.

So essentially the game was over at 2-1 and the extra time was like a little mini game for the series.
    The answer to this is yes.

A 1-1 tie in the extra time would have also led to penalty kicks.
    The answer to this one is no. The away team would have won on the away goal rule. Away goals count double?
    So a 2-1 home team lead in the extra time would have led to penalty kicks and a 3-2 home team lead would give series victory to away team?

Also doesn't the little mini tie-breaker game (the extra time) in the second game give the home team of the second game an advantage?
    I did not realize that the away goal rule would also apply here. If away goals count double, I call that a large advantage to the away team. I understand that no one likes a game decided by penalty kick shootout, but a coin flip might be preferable to actual game in which one side is given a large advantage.

Yep the ET period means: the winner of the period wins, a no goals scored draw means penalties and a scorind draw means a win for the way team.

FWIW, in ET the home side have home advantage and the away side have away goals rule. Same as irl. T11 programmes in the home advantage but its easier to subvert it than it is irl (even if there is such a thing in either) so its questionable.

But its easier for them to take UEFA rules off the shelf
    andrewh likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast