Thread: Zonal Defense

Zonal Defense

I am new to Top 11. This is my second season. But i had a question about zonal defense. my standard formation is a
    2-1-3W-1-3W.

If i am going up against an opponent with 3 ST's do i have to pull my wide defense to a narrower one even if i am zoning?
    The way i understand the zone is the defenders will mark a player within 1 box around them. so my dl and DR should pick up the outer 2 defenders, right?

Thanks,

BTW i read the beginners guide that was placed on here, thats really good stuff.

Two defenders and one DM against three opposing strikers?

I'd use man-to-man to avoid getting destroyed. Either that or you field three DC's to match them.
    Team showcase: Red Stars Munich

Quote Originally Posted by mmunger View Post
    Two defenders and one DM against three opposing strikers?

I'd use man-to-man to avoid getting destroyed. Either that or you field three DC's to match them.
    Wrong way i have a dl dc dr

Usually, in football formations, the first number is defensive.

You should actually describe your formation as: 3W-1-3W-1-2
    Team showcase: Red Stars Munich

Famous
    Quote Originally Posted by UABlazers View Post
    I am new to Top 11. This is my second season. But i had a question about zonal defense. my standard formation is a
    2-1-3W-1-3W.

If i am going up against an opponent with 3 ST's do i have to pull my wide defense to a narrower one even if i am zoning?
    The way i understand the zone is the defenders will mark a player within 1 box around them. so my dl and DR should pick up the outer 2 defenders, right?

Thanks,

BTW i read the beginners guide that was placed on here, thats really good stuff.
    Generally speaking, 3 defenders will struggle against 3 strikers, regardless of whether the defenders are 3W or 3N. The problem is if one defender gets beat, you don't have a sweeper so the striker will be one on one with keeper or if someone plays help defense, their will be an unmarked striker.

If the defenders are 3W they will still provide some help defense, but it won't be as effective against 2+ ST sets as 3N defenders.