Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Buffs Mad
  • 1 Post By cookizzz
  • 1 Post By muskrat
  • 2 Post By Buffs Mad
  • 1 Post By Buffs Mad

Thread: Live Match - how far in advance is the result determined?

Live Match - how far in advance is the result determined?

Today I watched a live match, and at game minute 81, I scored 3:1, and immediately after that, I got a pop up from Google Play Games that I had unlocked the next level of Top Dog achievement. So I already knew at that moment that I was going to win the game, even though my opponent still scored 3:2.

So I would like to know - at which point of the game is the result determined? From the beginning, and then only a script is run until the end? at half time? As my case shows, definitely not at the very end.

I must say, this sucked out much of the fun of watching live matches for me.

Result (and achievements) pop at 85th minute unless something significant is going to happen between then and the end. Sometimes results will be posted on 85mins, sometimes its held over.

As far as I can tell the simulation is done in 5 min chunks then played to you while the next chunk is getting ready i.e. on or around 83rd min the last 5 mins is being processed.

Famous
    I don't know if you are sure that the match result is confirmed 5 minutes (match play time, not real life time) before match ending time. I think it is probable as our last chance to substitute a player is at 84 minute.

Anyway, if I am the programmer, I will not let the result to be leak out before all people involved in the matches (i.e. managers & supporters) have normally received all match status information and have already noticed the match have already completed.

However, if there is any reason (normally, network problems) which makes one or more involved parties delayed in receiving match status information, these parties may eventually find themselves knowing the match results at a later time comparing with other people.
    Cat Harrison likes this.

Apprentice
    it's about 3-6 minutes ahead. just try to get a sub in for an injury and see how long it takes... then when you aren't watching and a player gets hurt the sub is instantanious....
    Cat Harrison likes this.

Its 5 mins give or take a bit for timing inaccuracies.

Sometimes the result is not posted, even if the score doesn't change, because something significant occurs. For example if its 1-1 at 85 mins and the simulation contains a PK at 88 mins then it waits; if nothing is simulated to happen then its published.

I can't 100% confirm, who can, but I believe that:

1. the whole match is simulated in the prematch 'lockdown' time (this makes sense since many matches might be unattended);
    2. when attended the match is simulated again either in in 5 min chunks or in whole and merely monitored for changes in 5 min chunks;
    3. changes made before the last couple of mins (or therabouts) of a current chunk are included in the simulation of the next, changes made afterwards are held over to the next again;
    4. The app receives the commentary with time-stamps in whole and then again (if changed) in 5 min chunks;

This is my belief based on traffic flow, the games observed handling of changes (including significant possession shifts), commentary changes, results publishing, stat updates and subs.

Ofc this does not mean that matches are fixed, just that you are a few minutes behind the simulation and any changes you make are affecting the next 5 mins.

No idea why they chose such a results/achievement publishing system instead of waiting but it was certainly the case up to 5 seasons ago when I last checked based on results publishing, achievement awards and multi-device viewing.

PS No idea if it will continue with live action (although I think it will) but the app merely seems to build screens from codes and wit the commentary in particular (at least up to 2 seasons ago) you can see this with the same events being portrayed with different comments. (Either the look up tables (or whatever they use) on mobile devices have limited commentary packs (repetitive) or different ordering - but more recently this has been improved.

Just imo. And there's nothing sinister behind it.
    Last edited by Buffs Mad; 07-24-2015 at 12:13 PM. Reason: added "instead of waiting"

Quote Originally Posted by Buffs Mad View Post
    *snip*
    No idea why they chose such a results/achievement publishing system instead of waiting but it was certainly the case up to 5 seasons ago when I last checked based on results publishing, achievement awards and multi-device viewing.

*snip*
    Checked a few games today and all seem to have published the score after the game had finished, so it might have been fixed as far as early results posting is concerned - not sure, unless someone notices otherwise. (Only 2 of them had significant events near the end - in 1 a goal at 87mins and another a FK & CK combo (no goal).

But achievements still pop early.