Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AucklandFC

Thread: Why does my team player better defense when I use an attacking mentality???

Famous

Why does my team player better defense when I use an attacking mentality???

My team for whatever reason concedes less goals when I use an attacking mentality; can anyone explain why?

Oddly, my defenders have lately made a habit of scoring on the counter-attack when I'm using attacking, whole pitch pressing w/o counters. Today's cup match it was 2 of my 3 goals scored by defenders on the counter; one had red arrow, the other had no arrow. Last cup match, by blue arrow DC, scored on the counter, when I was using attacking, down the flanks, whole pitch, w/o counters. Is their any explanation for this? Or just a bizarre random occurance?
    Level 40 Manager

Apprentice
    maybe the formation you use suites attack better than defensive but you didn't say your formation so not much anyone can tell you.

Famous
    Quote Originally Posted by muskrat View Post
    maybe the formation you use suites attack better than defensive but you didn't say your formation so not much anyone can tell you.
    I play a lot of different formations, since I like to try and counter what my opponent is doing. Of late, my team has played better defense when I use offense formations, instead of defensive ones, or even normal ones.

I used 4-5-1 V with hard defending, long passing and force counters in the CL (round of 16 - 1st leg) and surrendered 2 goals. Used the same setup in 1st half of a cup match (2nd round - 2nd leg), gave up first half goal; tied it in 2nd half with ND (1-1 final). Went normal in 1st half of league match (4-4-2c formation), gave up 1st half goal, tied in 2nd half with ND (1-1) . All other matches have been attacking. My team has given up a total of 18 goals in 30 matches.

Last season in the cup, I used attacking w/ whole pitch pressing in all matches, even against higher level and higher quality opponents. Faced 7* team in QTRS (1-1, 4-2), faced hybrid 7/8* team in Semi's (2-2, 2-1) and 8* team in final (0-1). Logically, shouldn't more goals be conceded when playing higher quality (in some cases far higher quality) teams if using an attacking mentality? Plus, shouldn't more goals be leaked when using an attacking mentality?

Best answer I've gotten so far (not on this forum - but was from a forum member) is with offense setups, the ball is on the opponent's half and with defensive ones its on my half more.
    Last edited by pcmacdaniel; 08-11-2015 at 02:58 AM.
    Level 40 Manager

I use 4 5 1 v alot and I was using defensive mentality won all my cup, cl and league matches then lost my top of the table clash 1-0 even though all my players are world class and all of his were scouts.....seriously dont understand how the game engine works but anyway it was a big wake up call notice he had 3 times as many shots than me but I had more possession obviously cause I was defensive and I was playing a possession base game. So I changed to Attacking, Own Half, Down both flanks, Zonal, Mixed Passing, counter attack on. I noticed you gotta have really good wingers (AML,AMR,DL,DR) otherwise you get punished as I put red arrows on them and the Striker. Put blue arrows on DMC and the 2 DCs leave the MCs unless opponents have really good MCs. I haven't leaked a goal since that lost however I've noticed I've been giving away a lot more cards which makes sense with 5 red arrows and attacking mentality its effective though at least for me.
    pcmacdaniel likes this.