Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By KenoticFC
  • 1 Post By gizzmo

Thread: Question. Does the game favour teams with higher goal difference to win the league

Question. Does the game favour teams with higher goal difference to win the league

Hello everybody this is my first post. Sorry that it's so long
    I'm in my seventh season and I have won the league 6 times. This season the competition was very high, especially there is one team higher rated than me. I wast still doing fine, won the first game against him and finished the first leg 9 points ahead of him with no loss and higher goal difference. Beginning of the second leg I was still winning but with minimal victories like 2-0 and so on. After some time I noticed his goal difference had improved and was better than mine. That's when I noticed the game was like "going against me" and favoring him. I had my first lost against a fairly decent team and didn't pay much attention, then I struggled winning against a medium team. After that I lost against one of the worst teams on my league in a game I was attending. It didn't make any sense to me as I was favorite and all of that. I lost against my rival and now I'm in second place with the same points but he has better goal difference like I mentioned. I noticed this thing also for almost every team in the league. Teams with better goal difference are favorites to finish in higher positions at the end of the season. It's like a perfect scale.

Has anyone else experienced or noticed this

P.S I know the goal difference rule in final standings this is not about that. It's about if the game favors team with more positive goal difference to win the league or finish higher.

Thank you!
    CM-16 likes this.

Famous
    Well, I must disagree on the goal difference factor as I experienced exactly the opposite with my second team who was leading its league on GD only for about 15 games and suddenly unexpectedly lost to the 6th team. But I do think that the game favors the highest rated team. If you lead the league against a better side (on paper) you may expect dificulties to maintain the gap between you.
    Bunzo likes this.
    Club: FC Lomagne

Level: 33

Current Season (44): League (ON STRIKE), CL (N/A), Cup (In - Quarter-Finals)

Previous Season: League (11th), CL (Final), Cup (Last 16)

Quote Originally Posted by gizzmo View Post
    Well, I must disagree on the goal difference factor as I experienced exactly the opposite with my second team who was leading its league on GD only for about 15 games and suddenly unexpectedly lost to the 6th team. But I do think that the game favors the highest rated team. If you lead the league against a better side (on paper) you may expect dificulties to maintain the gap between you.
    Thanks for the answer!
    Maybe it's me thinking too much, but I kinda predicted this would happen once I saw his goal difference, that's what makes me kinda mad for being right . Plus he's the only one rated higher than me and the 9 point difference was very comfortable (I was expecting to lose against him the second time). Losing against the 13th place inactive team made no sense, but still let's call it bad luck. Thanks again!!

Quote Originally Posted by KenoticFC View Post
    Hello everybody this is my first post. Sorry that it's so long
    I'm in my seventh season and I have won the league 6 times. This season the competition was very high, especially there is one team higher rated than me. I wast still doing fine, won the first game against him and finished the first leg 9 points ahead of him with no loss and higher goal difference. Beginning of the second leg I was still winning but with minimal victories like 2-0 and so on. After some time I noticed his goal difference had improved and was better than mine. That's when I noticed the game was like "going against me" and favoring him. I had my first lost against a fairly decent team and didn't pay much attention, then I struggled winning against a medium team. After that I lost against one of the worst teams on my league in a game I was attending. It didn't make any sense to me as I was favorite and all of that. I lost against my rival and now I'm in second place with the same points but he has better goal difference like I mentioned. I noticed this thing also for almost every team in the league. Teams with better goal difference are favorites to finish in higher positions at the end of the season. It's like a perfect scale.

Has anyone else experienced or noticed this

P.S I know the goal difference rule in final standings this is not about that. It's about if the game favors team with more positive goal difference to win the league or finish higher.

Thank you!
    I lost against my league title rival twice this season even though I win by a mile in terms of Goal Difference
    So yeah. GD doesn't matter.
    Love The Nationality Games Here!

Hakurei United

Based On : Hakurei United (Touhou Soccer Series)
    Goals : Develop youths
    Dislikes : Disrespect, Cheating, Tankers

Tight on Token boi here and I wanna have some fun

Famous
    I had 2 or 3 draws losses in league against some middle teams, I realize after a few seasons of those "flukes" that I need to stay sharp for those games. There's limits to how low condition, or morale, or how many second string players i can start, or how inattentive I can be before putting a win at risk.

Always a risk of struggling, every match, is good to learn how to stay cautious if you want wins every match. (I know, everyone still can lose when they shouldn't)
    "Please stay polite"
    -The Justicer, "Never accept defeat"

Pueblo FC

Unofficial Updates Thread

Famous
    I don't think the game engine favors teams with superior goal difference, as much as teams with superior goal difference are just stronger teams. In a small sample size, teams with less quality can and do pull off upsets against better teams and those more talented teams go through slumps, but as the more games are played those statistical outliers tend to regress back towards the mean as everything averages out.
    Last edited by pcmacdaniel; 12-09-2016 at 03:34 PM.
    Level 40 Manager

Quote Originally Posted by LeManiaque View Post
    I had 2 or 3 draws losses in league against some middle teams, I realize after a few seasons of those "flukes" that I need to stay sharp for those games. There's limits to how low condition, or morale, or how many second string players i can start, or how inattentive I can be before putting a win at risk.

Always a risk of struggling, every match, is good to learn how to stay cautious if you want wins every match. (I know, everyone still can lose when they shouldn't)
    Thanks for the answer!
    In my case condition was not a factor! I train regularly and use condition and morale packs to keep my team at their best! Since this particular season was hard I attended 95% of my matches. My first leg was perfect no losses and only one submitted goal. Once my opponent had better GD the struggle started and and he managed to surpass me. What can you do I guess, luck is always an important factor in this game.
    Last edited by KenoticFC; 12-09-2016 at 04:28 PM.

I agree with you! Stronger teams score more. My rivals team was better than mine, but not with a big difference, my average is 106% and he is 109%, still this should not affect me when playing against the other lower rated teams!

Maybe I'm mad cause I lost my title in the last 5 games when I was 9 points ahead!!!!

Thanks for the insight!!!