Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Altiplano
  • 1 Post By KenoticFC

Thread: Three at the back managers pls come in

Apprentice

Three at the back managers pls come in

Hi guys

I'm thinking about playing with only 3 defenders at the back. I need some of your opinions and experience.

1) 3DC or 3DW?
    2) if 3DC, how would you deal with AMR/L?
    3) if 3DW, what if there are two STs?
    4) and what would you do if you're playing against mixed focus side like 4231 with AMRLC?

Thanks guys.

Famous
    I sometimes play 3DW combined with 2 DMCs with arrows down. Leave the wide defenders without arrows to do their stuff down the flanks and put a down arrow on the DC.
    DMCs will cover if there are 2 strikers. And if oppo is playing 3 AM plus striker it's still his 4 against my 5.
    KenoticFC likes this.

I used this formation with great results some time ago, As altipano said the dmc do great job in covering the spaces.
    DL DC DR
    DMC DMC
    ML MC MR
    AMC
    ST

Every area of the pitch has someone to guard it.
    Altiplano likes this.

Rookie
    i always thought the down arrow was for aggression etc
    up for more etc

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Altiplano View Post
    I sometimes play 3DW combined with 2 DMCs with arrows down. Leave the wide defenders without arrows to do their stuff down the flanks and put a down arrow on the DC.
    DMCs will cover if there are 2 strikers. And if oppo is playing 3 AM plus striker it's still his 4 against my 5.
    That's very insightful reply Alti. I'll try that. But I never use just one MC before. Will I still control the midfield? Thanks.

Famous
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob M View Post
    Hi guys

I'm thinking about playing with only 3 defenders at the back. I need some of your opinions and experience.

1) 3DC or 3DW?
    depends on the opponent. if they're playing through the middle 3 DC, if they're coming down the flanks 3w. Make sure to have a DC/DMC as well, in case you need to play 4 in the back instead of 3. It's also a good idea to have your DL and DR, also have a DC duel role so you can rotate between 3w and 3n w/o making a substitution.

2) if 3DC, how would you deal with AMR/L?
    duel role DL/DC and DC/DR, so they mark the flanks. If you choose to stay with 3 DC, then down arrows on the right and left DC's and play man-to-man marking.

3) if 3DW, what if there are two STs?
    [QUOTE]

If he has wingers, a duel role DC/DMC, with the DMC pulled back to play as a DC. If not wingers, just play 3n. If his wingers are ML and MR, you might be able to mark them with a down arrow ML/MR of your own.

4) and what would you do if you're playing against mixed focus side like 4231 with AMRLC?
    3w-1-2n-3w-1 works well against that in my experience. 4-1-2-1-2 narrow diamond is another option. I usually going at it using long balls + counter attacks, since i'm assuming an attacking mentality and potentially a high press from the opponent, so i'm hoping we can catch his players far enough up the pitch when we win back possession, and quickly get forward on the counter with his players unable to track back defensively to help stop the counter.
    Level 40 Manager

Famous
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob M View Post
    That's very insightful reply Alti. I'll try that. But I never use just one MC before. Will I still control the midfield? Thanks.
    Ok I'm sure at some point your assistant manager has come out with the comment "the opposition are controlling the midfield, we should do something to correct this." (I don't remember the exact phrase, but it's along those lines.) When you have a look at your opponents line up you'll find he has 4 midfielders to your 3, 5 to your 4 or 6 to your 5. This points to midfield controlling possession. No prizes for that piece of intelligence. This though is reenforced by how we obtain our possession training bonus. Train 4 midfielders. Bingo. Midfielders control possession! The question is, does it matter whereabouts in midfield they are playing?
    If we go back to your original question about playing 3 defenders and then look at another thread in the forum about playing with just 2 DCs ( I think it's titled possession penalty. Sorry don't know how to add links). Then we can even further over populate midfield by playing DC,DC,DML,DMC,DMR,MC,MC,AML,AMR,S. 7 midfielders should secure possession, right?
    I'll be honest. I've never played that formation, but thinking about it I'm tempted. How we get possession bonus plus assistant managers comments, and of course, the real world of football. I'll quote Brazilians whilst playing for Spanish clubs because that's what I'm familiar with. Is Marcelo (Real Madrid) or Dani Alves (whilst at Barcelona) a full back, L/RD or a wing back L/RDM? If they're full backs it's 4 defenders, but if they're wing backs then both clubs only played or play with 2 DC.
    Yes there's the real world. And yes, there's Top Eleven.
    But I'm thinking about a change of formation.

3 dc's but with a dmc
    if playing v 3 am's inc aml amr and they stronger i play dml dmr 3 dc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk