Thread: Training goalkeepers?

Training goalkeepers?

Hi,
    sorry if this had already been questioned (I used search), but I'm really curious about this - how should I assign my skill points for goalkeepers? I have the special ability and I don't really need my GK to be a good dribbler or finisher or even header how do you manage the GK's skill points? I mostly invest it in physical and mental, but why isn't there a possibility to have a special GK training?

I, personally assign them to Defence as this is the main focus for a keeper, positioning and handling are what stands out for me.

My keeper has 49.2Q defence 41Q attack and 44 physical & mental.

^What he said, and when you get to the limit of training one skill set over another, ask yourself whether having uber-skills has done you any good for ratings or results.
    The jury is out on that one.

I had a 27 year old midfielder who had 20Q in defence 40Q attack and 36Q in physical & mental and he was an absolute goal machine with his free kick ability. Never let me down.

Addicted
    in one of the Q&A's with the developers, they mentioned in an off-comment that the most important skills for the goalie is the Defensive ones...but that Mental skills are important too.

They didnt even mention the attacking. And why would they? Why good does it do a goalie if he knows how to score, shoot, pass and dribble? Absolutely nothing. I always train my goalies only in defensive and mental; and they are doing great.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mercury View Post
    ^What he said, and when you get to the limit of training one skill set over another, ask yourself whether having uber-skills has done you any good for ratings or results.
    The jury is out on that one.
    Yeah, I haven't seen any big difference with one-on-one stopper ability. At least it looks good in my squad overview.

I understand that this special ability is not about some powerful jedi mind tricks, but it might help sometimes...

OK, I think I'll just train my gk's to be good at everything

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hullabaloo View Post
    in one of the Q&A's with the developers, they mentioned in an off-comment that the most important skills for the goalie is the Defensive ones...but that Mental skills are important too.

They didnt even mention the attacking. And why would they? Why good does it do a goalie if he knows how to score, shoot, pass and dribble? Absolutely nothing. I always train my goalies only in defensive and mental; and they are doing great.
    My GK takes my penalties. 4 goals so far. 50 Defense, 38 Attack, 39 mental. = 42 Quality scout for me. until I got my scout ST, he was the best offensive player for me. but yes, 2 out of every 3 SP should go to defense, and you split the other.

Addicted
    haha using goalie for penalties. hilarious!
    IRL if he missed it, you'd have on goalie to save you from the counter-attack. But not in this game
    I used my goalie to take corners in the first 5 games of the season. I only trained him in defensive and mental skills. He was awesome! 7 assists haha.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hullabaloo View Post
    haha using goalie for penalties. hilarious!
    IRL if he missed it, you'd have on goalie to save you from the counter-attack. But not in this game
    I used my goalie to take corners in the first 5 games of the season. I only trained him in defensive and mental skills. He was awesome! 7 assists haha.
    Cech this out! (lol...GK joke)

What does this tell you about buying a scout GK? They rock. and look at his form. consistently getting 7s with the occasional 8 or 6 (yikes...even a 4).

And I'm kicking ass in the league and just won the CL, so I dont see lots of shots and there are tons of clean sheets, so according to many people, he should hit form of 4-5 consistently, but he is better than that.
    Last edited by cracicot; 05-04-2013 at 12:49 PM.