Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Question about Away Goals in Extra Time

Question about Away Goals in Extra Time

My apologies if this has been asked before.

When spectating a match in the Cup, I noticed it went to extra time, and then in extra time each team scored once. Then, it seems like by the away goals rule, the away team that scored in extra time moved on, and the home team was eliminated, rather than going to penalties. My question is, has this always been the case? And doesn't this give an advantage to the team that is away for the second leg, even though it's essentially luck of the draw who hosts the first leg? Thanks all!
    DRAGONS SC

THE PERMANENT END

Always been like this, at least since I started this is what I remember and as per one or another team advantage, is exactly what you said, luck of the draw.
    khris likes this.

A.C. MILAN LEGENDS-Team Showcase
    http://forum.topeleven.com/team-show...n-legends.html
    Season 45,lvl 43(24 trebles)
    GAME OVER

Addicted
    And it is same in real uefa matches, away goal in extra time count as normal goal in match, if result of both legs is same it goes to extra time and if away team score one home team need 2 to pass on next round

Quote Originally Posted by drazen vtc View Post
    And it is same in real uefa matches, away goal in extra time count as normal goal in match, if result of both legs is same it goes to extra time and if away team score one home team need 2 to pass on next round
    Right, but in UEFA teams are seeded, and pairings are redrawn every round, no? I don't follow UEFA very closely so I may not know.
    DRAGONS SC

THE PERMANENT END

Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by jcohen42 View Post
    Right, but in UEFA teams are seeded, and pairings are redrawn every round, no? I don't follow UEFA very closely so I may not know.
    yes, but system are same, if it go in extra time and away team score, home team must score 2 goals to pass in next round

yes, but system are same, if it go in extra time and away team score, home team must score 2 goals to pass in next round
    Right, but would you agree it makes more sense if there is a seeding system? Which there currently is not in Top Eleven, meaning that following UEFA regulations in terms of this rule is rather pointless.
    Lagloriosa likes this.
    DRAGONS SC

THE PERMANENT END

Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by jcohen42 View Post
    Right, but would you agree it makes more sense if there is a seeding system? Which there currently is not in Top Eleven, meaning that following UEFA regulations in terms of this rule is rather pointless.
    It is that way forever in most of national cups as well, only if it is one game round there is a bit differences in rules but for 2 game round goal away count as 2 no matter in 1st min or 114 min

It is that way forever in most of national cups as well, only if it is one game round there is a bit differences in rules but for 2 game round goal away count as 2 no matter in 1st min or 114 min
    I don't think you understand what I am trying to say, but that is okay.
    DRAGONS SC

THE PERMANENT END

The method of the competition draw has no relevance when it comes to the match situation.

The seeding manipulations UEFA do in the Champions League and Europa Cup are designed to prevent the bigger clubs meeting each other too early and have the effect of ensuring that these clubs all make it through to the Quarter-Finals and beyond and make the competition 'more exciting'.

Whether or not seeding happens, the match day rule is that if the match is level on aggregate at Full time in the 2nd Leg, then if one team is leading on away goals, they have won. If not, then extra time is played. If at the end of extra time, the scored are level, then they look at away goals again. If one team hasn't won, then a penalty shootout takes place. This has been the procedure for many, many years and predates the seeding shenanegans...

Top Eleven is a game, that needs to be simple and transparent to the player. All the draws are done at the beginning of the season and laid out for all to see, and you can look at your progression right the way through to the Final. It doesn't need the complication of seeding, which needs human judgement to place teams in priority to enable the seeding to take place.
    Last edited by talisman; 02-13-2019 at 04:09 PM.
    Any formation or tactics advice given is based purely on experience with my teams...

Quote Originally Posted by talisman View Post
    The method of the competition draw has no relevance when it comes to the match situation.

The seeding manipulations UEFA do in the Champions League and Europa Cup are designed to prevent the bigger clubs meeting each other too early and have the effect of ensuring that these clubs all make it through to the Quarter-Finals and beyond and make the competition 'more exciting'.

Whether or not seeding happens, the match day rule is that if the match is level on aggregate at Full time in the 2nd Leg, then if one team is leading on away goals, they have won. If not, then extra time is played. If at the end of extra time, the scored are level, then they look at away goals again. If one team hasn't won, then a penalty shootout takes place. This has been the procedure for many, many years and predates the seeding shenanegans...

Top Eleven is a game, that needs to be simple and transparent to the player. All the draws are done at the beginning of the season and laid out for all to see, and you can look at your progression right the way through to the Final. It doesn't need the complication of seeding, which needs human judgement to place teams in priority to enable the seeding to take place.
    I'm not saying to add seeding. I'm saying that it probably should just go to penalty kicks if it's tied after extra time, regardless. Otherwise, managers are penalized from pure luck of the draw in the game.

Regardless, it wasn't me who got eliminated so I don't care too much.
    DRAGONS SC

THE PERMANENT END

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast