Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: So what did i do wrong ?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by BJack View Post
    4-4-2?
    YEP... and you will kill him

Apprentice
    Something has gone terribly wrong with the engine this season. Not sure what the hell they are doing. Lost 0-3 to a descent team but the biggest problem was that I used a good counter formation with two more middfielders and watched it. Still only had a 7% advantage in possesion.

Apprentice
    counter don't work anymore

Banned
    I would go 3-5 2 flat with arrows on ML/MR, or 3-0-3N-2W-2, and lastly the safest, 3-5-2 V.

Outnumber him in the midfield for possession and cover your ass. so I would go with 3-5-2 V

Apprentice
    This formation actually fits my team perfectly so it wasn't so much a counter formation as it worked a few seasons back when you could beat better teams easily as long as you fielded the right counter formation. His quality with 62 with no SAs mine 64 with almost all having good SAs for their position.

Hey, just lost 4-1 in the cup (away game, was about to lose 4-0 but scored in the last minute)
    What did i do wrong? basically he controls the middle but his defense is at minimum..
    Im at higher quality wise (37Q VS his 35Q), hes not watching im watching with 1 fan

How should I play in order to score 3-0 on home game?
    Your loss can be summed up thus:
    He had 3 strikers vs your 2 defenders in the middle
    You had 2 strikers against his 3 defenders in the middle. His defense isn't "minimum", it's perfect against you.
    Still, you should have had a major possession advantage - YOU control the middle, not him, so chalk part of it up to bad luck.

Try some variation of 3-6-1. 3 DCs. 1 DMC + 2 MCs OR 3 MCs with blue arrows on the middle one - gives you 3 vs 2 in the middle for possession advantage. I'd use a DMC with blue arrows to help defend against the 3 strikers. 1 AMC + 2 flankers - Use either ML/MR with red arrows or AML/AMR to pull his outside defenders away, then focus middle. Use hard defending + counterattack, mixed length or perhaps long ball.

I find you absolutely MUST have a central defender in front of the goalie , whether a DC or a DMCv, otherwise an attack up the middle will destroy you. I love facing a 3 wide or 4 w/o a DMC defense. I'll never use either (until the game engine changes again).
    gtmsnba13 likes this.
    ~^~*~^~ My opinions are best when taken with a grain of salt. No iodine added. ~^~*~^~

what kinds of language is this???

Quote Originally Posted by Razz View Post
    Your loss can be summed up thus:
    He had 3 strikers vs your 2 defenders in the middle
    You had 2 strikers against his 3 defenders in the middle. His defense isn't "minimum", it's perfect against you.
    Still, you should have had a major possession advantage - YOU control the middle, not him, so chalk part of it up to bad luck.

Try some variation of 3-6-1. 3 DCs. 1 DMC + 2 MCs OR 3 MCs with blue arrows on the middle one - gives you 3 vs 2 in the middle for possession advantage. I'd use a DMC with blue arrows to help defend against the 3 strikers. 1 AMC + 2 flankers - Use either ML/MR with red arrows or AML/AMR to pull his outside defenders away, then focus middle. Use hard defending + counterattack, mixed length or perhaps long ball.

I find you absolutely MUST have a central defender in front of the goalie , whether a DC or a DMCv, otherwise an attack up the middle will destroy you. I love facing a 3 wide or 4 w/o a DMC defense. I'll never use either (until the game engine changes again).
    Wow, thanks for explaining! Wish me luck
    Season 5 - Level 5
    1st Season: League Winner, Cup Winner
    2nd Season: League Winner , CL Winner
    3rd Season: League Winner , CL Runner Up, Quarter Finals Cup
    4th Season: League Winner, Quarter Finals Cup

Wow, thanks for explaining! Wish me luck
    You're welcome. Your mileage may vary, but I find the reasoning behind using a formation is 10,000 times more valuable than "use x formation."

This is the best tutorial I've found for tactics (caution, some parts are obsolete or wrong, so you must use your own knowledge and experience)
    http://forum.topeleven.com/tutorials...-part-1-a.html

This is the key for setting formations, in my opinion:

-Zonal marking

A much more modern approach to marking. Players are entrusted with an specific part of the field (zone) and then marks any attacker that enters his zone. This also means than more than 1 player will mark an attacker that enter their zone. In Top Eleven, this zone is defined as 1 "square" away from the player in every direction.

Zonal marking is like "minesweeper", in the picture below you can see a 4-4-2 formation (left) and how many players are guarding a square zone (right).

The relevant points here are that, against a 3 narrow defense, the outer DCs will be drawn off to cover wingers (AML/AMR) leaving your AMC and lone ST in a 2 vs 1 against the middle DC. In a 3 wide defense, the wingbacks have essentially taken themselves out of the game if you stack the middle against them. Also, as i said earlier, there's something about the code where leaving that middle gap in a 4 wide defense is an open invitation. Presumably it would be something like: a player first covers his own square at 100%, then adjacent squares at 60% (obviously I don't know the real percentages here) Since the game lacks L & R arrows to prioritize coverage, that leaves an exploitable gap. Also note that a DMC with blue arrows is almost as good as a central DC on defense, plus contributes to midfield possession.

Which brings me back to midfield. This is the single biggest factor i've found regarding possession percentage - the number of players touching the white circle at midfield. (i.e. MCs and DMCs). if you have more players here than your opponent, you will gain a possession advantage (note that there are other factors including spectators, player quality, tactics, and other lesser factors.)

As far as I can tell, the biggest effect of team mentality is with shots - the more attacking, the more gambling shots your team takes (more long range, less likely to be on target), while a defensive mentality seems to work more to set up (fewer shots but more likely to be) on target shots. it's more complex than that, of course, but that's the most significant, visible effect that i have observed.

Bottom line: strive to learn and understand how the game works, and adapt your playign style accordingly. "Formation x counters formation y" is useless information (even if it's true - and it might not be!) if you don't know why it's effective.

People get mad and frustrated because they have unrealistic expectations, and don't take the time to actually learn and understand what the game is about. For example, is a 5 point advantage in quality a major factor? Nordeus gives us the answer, but very, very few people understand it. (Answer: it depends. it's a much more significant factor at lower levels than at higher levels.)

This is not a fútbol (football, soccer) game. It's a game of probability which attempts to simulate fútbol to a limited degree of realism. You'll be most succesful by hedging the probability in your favor - to that you have to learn and understand the intricacies of the game and a knowledgable estimate of what effects they have.
    Ljepoje, gtmsnba13, BJack and 1 others like this.
    ~^~*~^~ My opinions are best when taken with a grain of salt. No iodine added. ~^~*~^~

Quote Originally Posted by Razz View Post
    You're welcome. Your mileage may vary, but I find the reasoning behind using a formation is 10,000 times more valuable than "use x formation."

This is the best tutorial I've found for tactics (caution, some parts are obsolete or wrong, so you must use your own knowledge and experience)
    http://forum.topeleven.com/tutorials...-part-1-a.html

This is the key for setting formations, in my opinion:

The relevant points here are that, against a 3 narrow defense, the outer DCs will be drawn off to cover wingers (AML/AMR) leaving your AMC and lone ST in a 2 vs 1 against the middle DC. In a 3 wide defense, the wingbacks have essentially taken themselves out of the game if you stack the middle against them. Also, as i said earlier, there's something about the code where leaving that middle gap in a 4 wide defense is an open invitation. Presumably it would be something like: a player first covers his own square at 100%, then adjacent squares at 60% (obviously I don't know the real percentages here) Since the game lacks L & R arrows to prioritize coverage, that leaves an exploitable gap. Also note that a DMC with blue arrows is almost as good as a central DC on defense, plus contributes to midfield possession.

Which brings me back to midfield. This is the single biggest factor i've found regarding possession percentage - the number of players touching the white circle at midfield. (i.e. MCs and DMCs). if you have more players here than your opponent, you will gain a possession advantage (note that there are other factors including spectators, player quality, tactics, and other lesser factors.)

As far as I can tell, the biggest effect of team mentality is with shots - the more attacking, the more gambling shots your team takes (more long range, less likely to be on target), while a defensive mentality seems to work more to set up (fewer shots but more likely to be) on target shots. it's more complex than that, of course, but that's the most significant, visible effect that i have observed.

Bottom line: strive to learn and understand how the game works, and adapt your playign style accordingly. "Formation x counters formation y" is useless information (even if it's true - and it might not be!) if you don't know why it's effective.

People get mad and frustrated because they have unrealistic expectations, and don't take the time to actually learn and understand what the game is about. For example, is a 5 point advantage in quality a major factor? Nordeus gives us the answer, but very, very few people understand it. (Answer: it depends. it's a much more significant factor at lower levels than at higher levels.)

This is not a fútbol (football, soccer) game. It's a game of probability which attempts to simulate fútbol to a limited degree of realism. You'll be most succesful by hedging the probability in your favor - to that you have to learn and understand the intricacies of the game and a knowledgable estimate of what effects they have.
    Awesome, really!
    Thanks again
    Season 5 - Level 5
    1st Season: League Winner, Cup Winner
    2nd Season: League Winner , CL Winner
    3rd Season: League Winner , CL Runner Up, Quarter Finals Cup
    4th Season: League Winner, Quarter Finals Cup

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast