Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Spending real money on tokens/booster packs

Spending real money on tokens/booster packs

Hi all, i joined the game a few weeks ago and already managed to spend over £35. Mainly for tokens, level 2 booster pack, premium special sponsor and a £1.99 player. Doing this has helped me lift the team I took over in round 12 from 8th to 1st (currently unbeaten in 12 with a 4 point gap to 2nd with 2 games remaining) and win the cup final. My first team rating is 106% and reserve team is 88% (wanted to make sure my team had plenty of depth).

Anyway has anyone else done the same in their first season? Also do more experienced managers spend money of these extras? Should I now stop considering I have a very strong team heading into level 2 (despite the slight rating drop)?
    Last edited by Goldeneaglesfc; 06-17-2021 at 07:55 AM.
    Der_Ryan_M likes this.
    Dave Rosewell
    Golden Eagles FC Manager - Level 2
    League titles: 1 Cups: 1

I do not fall so low putting real money I prefer the effort

I totally get what you mean there. Although some of those tokens have gone towards condition chips, especially before the cup final when I had a game only a few hours beforehand. Was never my intention to "buy" titles, just wanted to give myself a strong start. Needless to say there's a few things I wish I didn't buy, as when I first started I didn't realise just how valuable tokens were
    Dave Rosewell

There are always people who are spending more than you, no matter how much you spend.

If you really like the game there is nothing wrong with spending some money on it. However, it is also totally possible to play the game very successfully without spending a dime. Make sure you read through the forum, especially the tactics and tutorials section, to get the most out of your ressources.
    Me personally I only buy the special sponsor every season for 5€, as it is the most valuable asset available for that price.
    dave1311, Polotoed and Altiplano like this.

Very true! Many thanks for the advice. I shall defo check out the tutorials. Yeah I think I'll do the same with the special sponsor, I joined a little too late to take full advantage this season. Good to know its a seasonal thing though, offering rewards of completing certain tasks is a good way to keep interest. I'll be spending a lot less now I have a better understanding.
    Dave Rosewell

Famous
    Never spent a single cent on this game and I play always for the prices

Rookie
    Don't let anyone judge you for spending or not spending your money. Everyone is welcome to play as they like.
    But there are things that I would take into account even from my short-term perspective: Season 1 is simple anyway if you put some dedication to the game. But there seems to be not much "give a strong start" for more than one season, since no matter how strong you are now, you'll be matched with a similar opponents next season.
    When you spend, get ready to be facing stronger opponents who are also willing to pay, and may be more than you do.

My personal example:

(1) I have a main team, spent around 9$ for special sponsors on level 2 and 3 and not sure if that was a good idea.
    Season 1: Won a league (joined too late to participate in the Cup), finished at ~95-98%,
    Season 2: Bought a special sponsor, got quadruple there with 0 losses for the whole season, finished at 105%. The league was an easy walk. Tried to get rid of too heavy players in the end of the season, dropped to 100%, but still...
    Season 3: Started with 80% in a league with almost all ~80-90% teams + one guy that bought a fresh 115% team (on day 2 he had a bunch of 116% scout players + 2-3 140%+ players, all fresh with 0 games played)... Currently I'm #2 in my league with 2 losses and you can guess who is #1.
    Won the cup, but got smashed in CL by a +10% stronger opponent (and all the CL semi-finalists were +10-15%). Currently at 113% and plan to get rid of 7-9* players I got from special sponsor and the last event since they are too old and heavy for the next season.
    Overall stats: 106 wins, 6 draws, 3 losses, 501 goals scored, 62 against.

(2) alternatively, my wife's account that I'm also playing since season 1. 0$ and much less time spent. Twice less watching ads, no market hunting.
    Season 1: Joined at mid-season, still won the league. Finished at 95%, was stronger than the main team.
    Season 2: League was an easy walk, won the cup, got trolled in the CL final against a weaker opponent. Finished around 95%.
    Season 3: League was an easy walk, won the cup, got beaten in CL by a stronger team in a draw with extra time. Currently at 100%.
    Overall stats: 107 wins, 4 draws, 1 loss (damn that CL final), 550 goals scored, 45 against.
    Altiplano likes this.
    Moscow United, level 10,
    League wins: 8, Cup wins: 8, CL wins: 7,
    Wins: 397, Draws: 16, Losses: 12,
    Top scorer: 9, Quadruples: 7.

Rookie
    Yes it is really important that you know that a strong team this season means just that you get strong opponents next season. That is the system of Top Eleven. To avoid that you need a low average of your top 14 players at the end of this season (Saturday). Therefor:
    - Only keep your top 11 players, sell today all other players, buy 3 players on the market with 40%. Release all players in the academy.
    This will drop your top 14 average and you will get weaker opponents next season. Weaker opponents = you need to spend less money next season
    (of course you can buy new players after the draw of the new season on day 4, keep them until end of season and then again release them…and so on)

It sounds hardcore but in my opinion it is the best way to have success without spending a lot of money.
    Altiplano likes this.

Many thanks! You are totally right, I'm sure there are many for and against paying real life cash for things. If what your saying is correct, I might be best off selling any high rated players over 30, I have a 30 year old DMC with 100% rating, but he can easily be replaced by a 20 DC/DMC I have. Also I'm gonna loose my top attacker, he's 18 and 130%, but is a loan player. I'll hold off getting a direct replacement for him till next season. Might see about off loading some others too! I wanna keep hold of my favourite players of course.

I've played 18, won 17, drew 1, scored 76 and conceded 2 so far
    Dave Rosewell

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzzz View Post
    (of course you can buy new players after the draw of the new season on day 4, keep them until end of season and then again release them…and so on)
    Is it day 4 or day 1 that matters? I've heard that only the very start of the season (day 1) counts.
    Moscow United, level 10,
    League wins: 8, Cup wins: 8, CL wins: 7,
    Wins: 397, Draws: 16, Losses: 12,
    Top scorer: 9, Quadruples: 7.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast