Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Iron Lion
  • 1 Post By tomu741

Thread: How to play when you are an underdog?

Addicted

How to play when you are an underdog?

This season almost all teams in my league are at least 15% higher than me. I really struggle with opponents higher than 15%.
    Can you give suggestions how to beat or at least make draw with them?

same with me where in Cup and CL i stand no chance...but it depends on your current roster...where are the best chances you can exploit a potential weakness in your opponent

So far i am monitoring some of my T11 friends and some of the most strange formation work marvellously but they are totally "against any logic"

T11 is not what it used to be (2018 cca) and some of my tactic and formation philosophy are not working any more, since now a lot of pressing is used in defensive formations, whilst a few years back it was heavily suggested (at least to me) that those two are not compatible.

I also am trying to find the best formula but it takes a lot of changes to find what suits the team, and the question is also how this affects the players "familiarity" as we have in Football Manager

Go with what you have, make it as much as hard for them as you can
    Last edited by DjaniTafra; 03-11-2023 at 02:06 PM.

Rookie
    La única respuesta a tu pregunta es que tienes que comprar todo lo posible. No hay lógica ni tácticas en este juego.
    Siempre va a ganar quien más pague por jugar
    vinim, DjaniTafra and ambe_82 like this.

Addicted
    For example playing defensive or very defensive with counter attacks gives even worse results. Logic says to play in this wasy but results occurs in tragic way when you set like this. Even when you use 5 defenders formations.
    When opponent is 20% stronger than you, they dont have weakness compared to you. You can set like defend their strongest players with double marking them but still it does not help.
    I'm confused.
    vinim likes this.

Apprentice
    Nothing makes sense.
    I am first in my league, only 1 draw, the rest wins.
    My team is at 103%
    Yesterday in the league I played a team that is now at 110%. They beat me 1-0. No problem here, on paper he is stronger, tight match. I don’t expect to win all the time.
    But today, that same team I lost to yesterday, tied 1-1 against the second to last team who is at 84% (no mutants, just a bad team that i beat 0-7 a few days ago)
    Just ridiculous.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Lion View Post
    La única respuesta a tu pregunta es que tienes que comprar todo lo posible. No hay lógica ni tácticas en este juego.
    Siempre va a ganar quien más pague por jugar
    Perfect.

The only quote that would describe this game is - "can't make sense out of nonsense"

You can tweak with the tactics until the next "saint Gennaro" you will ultimately lose more often than not, simply put this game has totally lost its course. Few years ago you at least had a chance with hard defending or defending with counters...nowadays you do not have any leverage to use against your opponent.

Case in point is my association match, the opponent had a 170% striker, even 5-4-1 could not handle him and i had a 148% defender with other good defenders around him. He played a 4411, so i guess suffocating his striker doesn't replcate on the field since my zonal defending is again man to man when you look at the animation....

Not only do your tactical instruction not matter but there are so many "frenzy" mutant teams this is insane....Pay to win and that's that

Without it you are doomed, once in a while you will win something but that is it....there were times that you had like maybe one team with 110% max....now i have my competitions filled with 130% teams....maybe it is time to buy FM 23

Addicted
    This topic became complaint section ;/.
    I thought someone could share their luck history or some tips to survive.

However its like every 4th season i face full league of 20% stronger than me opponents. It's like cursed circle:
    1th season. You face minimum 15% (often 20% or more) stronger teams in a league and you cant survive - so you cant qualify and automatically became a tank.
    2th season. You are god. Or at least you can kick - ass a lot of teams.
    3th season. You competing but you end in the middle of table or even can qualify for last spot in champions league
    4th season. You face minimum 15% stronger teams and you automatically got destroyed.

Repeat