Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lots of possession but hard to win

Lots of possession but hard to win

Hi,

I started with my team in a 4-4-2 which was the best formation at that time and is still now. Although I'm at the top of the table (in level 1) there is something I can't figure out. Every match I have a lot of possession (sometimes above 70%) but the amount of chances I create are mostly equal to the amount of chances of the opposition. Which often result in a tie.

For example last game: I played at home and won with 2-1. (The opposition played 3-4-3)
    At the 8 minute the opposition lost a striker due to injury and he was not replaced. (So in fact he played almost whole match 3-4-2)

Final stats:
    - 71% possession for my team
    - 19 chances for my team vs 16 chances for the opposition.
    - 4 on goal for my team vs 6 on goal for the opposition.
    End result 2-1.

What you need to know is that my team has an average of 15,9 while the opposition has one of 12,9.
    This kind of matches happen all the time. I've the better squad (all my players have good morale and are in good condition, and everybody plays at his natural position) but somehow the opposition gets a lot of chances with minimum possession. And I can't figure out why, I should win those matches with 5-0 if you compare the teams.

My tactics are: Normal mentality, passing: mixed, pressure: own half, passing style: short, coverage: zone.

I wanted to try another formation but my whole team is built on the 4-4-2. So if I change it now I need to sell and buy a lot of players.

You're not the one who have noticed this.. i felt it on my skin.

Super Moderator PricopGeorgeCătălin's Avatar
    Is something normal, but other reasons can be "win bonus" & team mentality, play "attacking" :P
    Orlova FC - onForum - LIKE Orlova FC - onYoutube - SUBSCRIBE Orlova FC - onFacebook

Quote Originally Posted by PricopGeorgeCătălin View Post
    Is something normal, but other reasons can be "win bonus" & team mentality, play "attacking" :P
    Already did, but nothing happened.

Quote Originally Posted by joentjen View Post
    Hi,

I started with my team in a 4-4-2 which was the best formation at that time and is still now. Although I'm at the top of the table (in level 1) there is something I can't figure out. Every match I have a lot of possession (sometimes above 70%) but the amount of chances I create are mostly equal to the amount of chances of the opposition. Which often result in a tie.

For example last game: I played at home and won with 2-1. (The opposition played 3-4-3)
    At the 8 minute the opposition lost a striker due to injury and he was not replaced. (So in fact he played almost whole match 3-4-2)

Final stats:
    - 71% possession for my team
    - 19 chances for my team vs 16 chances for the opposition.
    - 4 on goal for my team vs 6 on goal for the opposition.
    End result 2-1.

What you need to know is that my team has an average of 15,9 while the opposition has one of 12,9.
    This kind of matches happen all the time. I've the better squad (all my players have good morale and are in good condition, and everybody plays at his natural position) but somehow the opposition gets a lot of chances with minimum possession. And I can't figure out why, I should win those matches with 5-0 if you compare the teams.

My tactics are: Normal mentality, passing: mixed, pressure: own half, passing style: short, coverage: zone.

I wanted to try another formation but my whole team is built on the 4-4-2. So if I change it now I need to sell and buy a lot of players.
    The game engine balancing out the quality levels, 3-4-3 is not a bad formation against 4-4-2 unless you motivate your MR/ML.
    You could also try a more attacking mode with down arrows on you DC's and up arrows on the DR/DL& MR/ML with MR/ML would then act as AM players when you gain possession, the down arrows should stop your DC's wandering to far up field, leaving you exposed to counter attacks.

If you have a AMC try 4-4-1-1, I realise you say you built a 4-4-2 side but you may have one hanging around.
    The major problem with generic formation like 4-4-2/4-3-3/4-5-1 Etc, in general they cancel each other out as the lines are flat, now would be a good time to start planning a more flexible (AM&DM players) squad for the next couple of seasons.
    Last edited by Accyrover; 01-06-2013 at 03:47 PM.
    Level 1,2,3,4,5,6 League winners

Level 1,2,3,5 CL Winners

Level 4 CL runner up.

Level 2,3,4 Cup winners

P267 W244 D2 L11 GF1024 GA91

Apprentice
    do you change your tactics often? how about players? there are some player combos that will get you scoring no matter what, and some that will net little chances. you need to find the right combination of players on the pitch to maximise the shot output, and it might take some risks and experimenting
    Last edited by Rapyer; 01-07-2013 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapyer View Post
    do you change your tactics often? how about players? there are some player combos that will get you scoring no matter what, and some that will net little chances. you need to find the right combination of players on the pitch to maximise the shot output, and it might take some risks and experimenting
    Can you tell me more about these combination of players?

Apprentice
    rotate your combination of players,until you find the ones that "click"

Rookie
    its basically, rotating until u find which players seem to work better with each other.

e.g I have 6 defenders, but a particular defence lineup from 4 particular players bring about better form from all 4 than if I picked any other players combination. It was a pain in the ass when I bought a new 18yr old with good training speed and tried to slot him in and "break" the quartet tandem. the defenders' forms all dropped and I squeezed a 1-0 win over a team in league that I had beaten 4-0 in previous match (my goalkeeper got his first MOM saving 5 goals lol, and GK form was 8). took 5 matches before the other 3 were back to form 7-8-7-8 and "got used" to the newbie.

I have 2 AML/ML, and 2 AMR/MR, the main team pair AML/AMR likes and assists each other more often.

last season, I had 2 strikers that performed when put up front together, and the form took a dip when I play lone striker up front like 4-5-1, they like playing in formations like 3-5-2, 4-2-2-2 etc.

for players that can play in more then 1 position, they have their favourite spots, like my AMR/MR playing better at AMR position.

all these little quirks aren't one-off things that happens in 1 or 2 matches, but there's a somewhat consistent pattern in some of these players. play them for about half a season and these little things start to emerge.

Rookie
    I don't think there's a formation that 'clicks'. I have rotated the squad but none clicks. Haha.

I noticed that too... could dominate possession (playing with AMR and AML btw) but still do not score much.
    Also gave full bonuses but still draw and lose. So.... no explanation...
    Last edited by al12; 01-07-2013 at 12:46 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast