Thread: asymetrical formations

asymetrical formations

What to do when playing against asymetrical formations? Should I go asymetrical too trying to counter the formation?
    For instance against this:

------st--st---------
    -aml-----------------
    ----mc--mc--mc-------
    -----------------dml---
    -----dc--dc--dc------

I could use 4-5v-1 normally. Or I could have
    --------st---------
    -------------------amr---
    -ml---mc--------mc------
    ----------dml----------
    -----dc--dc--dc--dr---
    Or maybe:
    --------st---------
    -aml-------------amr---
    ----mc--mc------------
    --------------dmr------
    --dl--dc--dc--dr---

The above are not really Asymmetrical as such (they are what I call lob sided) and in the case you have above a DMC placed centrally would pick up that AM player.
    A standard generic formation as the V would be fine.
    Asymmetrical formations need balance to work those do not. IMO Focusing attack on the opposite side to your stronger defensive side is, well! ......... short of players, and that's being kind.
    Last edited by Accyrover; 01-11-2013 at 02:35 PM.
    Level 1,2,3,4,5,6 League winners

Level 1,2,3,5 CL Winners

Level 4 CL runner up.

Level 2,3,4 Cup winners

P267 W244 D2 L11 GF1024 GA91

I
    Quote Originally Posted by Accyrover View Post
    The above are not really Asymmetrical as such (they are what I call lob sided) and in the case you have above a DMC placed centrally would pick up that AM player.
    A standard generic formation as the V would be fine.
    Asymmetrical formations need balance to work those do not. IMO Focusing attack on the opposite side to your stronger defensive side is, well! ......... short of players, and that's being kind.
    I agree. this is not really very assymetrical. i used to play a normal MR with an AML which worked well. However very assymmetrical formations seem to be at a disadvantage although IMO more so on the defensive side than offense. If the other side is assymmetrical in attack I might move the better DC to that side etc. If a defense is assymmetric it might be a good idea to attack that weakness. I am still trying to gather info. Anyone with any data?

Quote Originally Posted by johnson bleckman View Post
    I
    If the other side is assymmetrical in attack I might move the better DC to that side etc. If a defense is assymmetric it might be a good idea to attack that weakness.
    I did just that and used a standard 4-5v-1 with blue arrows on my dc and dmc and red on my dl, defensive with counters, on both flanks with mixed passing. It was CL final. That kinda worked for 25 minutes until he scored. I say kinda because he was still having the better chances and my counters felt blunt. It was scored by the st facing my best dc, from a pass from his aml. So I don't think using my dmc was very effective.
    So I changed to hard attack but this exposed me too much and I got more goals. I tried attaking right flank, red arrows on am, even changed to 3-5v-2 but failed to score. I think I made a mistake with that mixed passing, short might have been better since his dc were better than my st. But the main cause I think was his better players: 6 excellent, 4 very good and 1 average versus my 2 excellent, 6 very good and 3 good.
    Last edited by puidesomn; 01-12-2013 at 08:42 AM.