Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TropikThunder

Thread: Roster Maintenace: Keep Old Players?

Rookie

Roster Maintenace: Keep Old Players?

I was wondering what people are thinking about keeping older players that have been very productive, when a new season starts. Obviously, training slows down as a player gets older, especially once they are older than 24-25. And when you get promoted, it is even more important to train fast since you lose a star (and 20%). Part of this is emotional I know, especially if you are one of those managers who re-names their players (like me!). So, with the new training system, what are your thoughts on this guy:

So he's old (30, soon to be 31), and he's not that high level (76%, soon to be 56%). He has multiple positions, which helps, but he has never been a fast trainer which doesn't help. He only went up from 70% to 76% this season, and you can see I gave up training his SA once I realized how slow he was.

His attack skills are pretty good (average 93%) and his defense skills don't really matter (average 56%). He has decent Heading due to his AMC position but I don't use an AMC so that doesn't matter. And his physical skills are OK (average 78%), especially the white ones (average 94.7%). So why am I even considering keeping him since he will lose a star tonight?

He's a goal scoring machine! 29 goals and 13 assists in 37 matches this season in all competitions, with 8 MoM's. 66 goals in 97 matches across three seasons, including 16 goals in 21 Champions League games (talk about clutch!).

But his contract is up at the end of this season (in a few hours). How would you decide? Do you re-sign him and see how he performs the first few games? Or do you let him gracefully retire (or go play in China or MLS for big bucks :P)? I only signed him from the transfer market auction at 28 years old since he was cheap and played three positions. I had no idea he would be this good. But a 31 year old slow trainer who will drop to 56% can't be worth keeping, can he?

I have similar player but 97 which turned 77. He has been in my top 3 scorers 2 years in a row.

I would keep him against lower star league sides as u need a rotation, playing two games a day. Check his stats after 10 games and decide. I bet he will still keep scoring if u play him against lower than 70% defense next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greek Forum Moderator nikolgiorgos's Avatar
    That's why some managers playing a ton of friendlies.
    To improve and keep in a competitive q players like those.
    There is a relative thread in general section
    Καλώς ήρθατε στο Ελληνικό φόρουμ
    http://forum.topeleven.com/%CE%93%CE...%B4%CE%B1.html

I had a Czech LB a year back. Martin Lomsky. He was my main LB for 2 seasons. When he was around %60, when my LB was played bad once, I brought him in and he got 8.5 rating in 40 mins with 2 assists. I subbed him in when my LB underperformed. And he actually did good some matches even higher rated opponents (but rarely, mostly he did ok). And another guy, French Arnaud Dutoid. Finisher striker he was ok too but not as Martin. I'd keep them to sub-in or play aganist lower opponents. They can really make difference
    Last edited by Dr.Acula; 06-27-2018 at 01:09 PM.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Acula View Post
    I had a Czech LB a year back. Martin Lomsky. He was my main LB for 2 seasons. When he was around %60, when my LB was played bad once, I brought him in and he got 8.5 rating in 40 mins with 2 assists. I subbed him in when my LB underperformed. And he actually did good some matches even higher rated opponents (but rarely, mostly he did ok). And another guy, French Arnaud Dutoid. Finisher striker he was ok too but not as Martin. I'd keep them to sub-in or play aganist lower opponents. They can really make difference
    Thanks, I think I will do that. His attacking skills are still pretty good (avg 93) and I don't need him to play defense anyway.
    maloukees likes this.

Apprentice
    Guys, I have a 22 yo player that need a little maintenance. Don't now If train him now or at the beginning of the New season with less 20% stats but 23 yo. What do you suggest?

Enviado de meu Lenovo A6020l36 usando Tapatalk

Famous
    If you want to train better now, He train faster now 1 year younger