Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Tanking teams and association matchups

Famous
    The irony of tanking is that by tanking managers increase the probability of playing against tankers (or other monster teams). Been there and seen many previously very successful associations, get demolished by bringing their quality up to the range where the draws are filled with teams that have either tanked, bought many tokens, stacked conditions from farming, or used the loan exploit. Playing with a 7* average is a very different animal than playing with a 5* or 6* average.

The advantage of tanking isn't when that manager has an 8* team, its when that managers players quality reduces to a 6* or below quality average when they'll have massive skews to the stats and now be playing against teams w/o such skews most often. At low quality average, if u have skewed 5*/6* players and get a bad draw, due to a large number of gray stats around 20% or so, it's actually easier to upset a higher quality opponent as well.
    Last edited by pcmacdaniel; 03-10-2017 at 03:22 PM.
    Level 40 Manager

Greek Forum Moderator nikolgiorgos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gamer5289 View Post
    3 of the teams are mid to high 7* and other 3 are mid to high 6 stars.
    Our association has 1 7* team(121%) and others are 6 stars (low to mid).
    We do have a chance against them, but the point is, they have the advantage of training their players for atleast 35 days without losing a star, whereas we have had only 7!!
    ok, this is not very fair draw but what tanking has to do with that
    if they were playing normally, it would be fair ?
    Καλώς ήρθατε στο Ελληνικό φόρουμ
    http://forum.topeleven.com/%CE%93%CE...%B4%CE%B1.html

Dreamer

You got me there Nik.
    I certainly would not have a cause for complain there if all of them were playing normally.
    But, if all teams were playing normally, we would not have many teams near 130% in 1st week, which would result in better draws in the association.
    I can accept 1 maybe 2 bad matchups a season, but the way the association draws have been working against us, I feel it would be better to be a 5 star team rather than go to 6 or 7 stars and face these monster teams.

This brings me to another point.
    When I look at my association standings, I see only 2 6 star teams.
    All others are 4/5* associations.
    If we are competing for the same global standings, why dont we get a chance at these other teams?
    All in all, just feel that a lot of "fairness" measures can be accounted for, in the way the association draws are made.
    Just like how we have a league composed of 4/5/6/7 star teams, we need these matchups to be similar - few tough matchups and few easy ones too
    nikolgiorgos likes this.

let me give you an example what it isn't fair (about tanking and asso draws)
    This group, has two teams with very high q (they built their teams with asso loans).
    Those teams are keeping their q with tanking.

Tanking teams and association matchups-disciple-la-masia.jpg
    That group might play with another which doesn't have so high quality like Yaya's team but similar avg q.
    Yaya (and the other team) are loaning three 9* to the other group mates and they getting stronger too.
    This group should play with another with the same roster teams and not avg of the 6 teams.
    That's not fair.
    gamer5289 and madflo19 like this.

Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by nikolgiorgos View Post
    The problem is not the tanking, the problem is that the match-up is not fair - this avg of 6 teams.
    A group of six 6* teams playing vs two 9* teams and four 5* teams.
    Also a team with 11 8* players is not the same with a team with 22 8* (who loans to the other members).
    If I have 14 8* players and I 'm playing vs a team which has also 14 8* players, why would I care if he is tanking or not ?
    like this from tomorrow opponent
    Tanking teams and association matchups-screenshot_11.jpgTanking teams and association matchups-screenshot_12.jpg
    gamer5289 and nikolgiorgos like this.

Dreamer
    You got it spot on.
    We have been facing such opponents and thats what fuels the frustration.
    The root of it all is a few teams that work around the system and spoil the fun for others.
    All I am saying is lets level the playing field.
    Lets find a way to have teams play their best in every match and not lose on purpose.
    20% reduction as a default on every team, irrespective of promotion or not, seems fair enough.

Dreamer
    And cheaters,exploiters etc still exist.
    Tanking teams and association matchups-screenshot_9.jpgTanking teams and association matchups-screenshot_10.jpg

Famous
    I don't see tanking as too much of a problem in league, cup and champions. It's a reflection of what happens in the real world when a team gets relegated. The relegated team will usually be stronger than the teams in the division they fall into, but this doesn't automatically guarantee success.
    However where I think tanking will become an issue just as big as the loan exploit for rest packs is in associations.
    Imagine 3 managers running 2 teams each, all in the same association. Each manager uses their 2nd team ONLY to boost their associations chances of success. Build up their 2nd teams by tanking for 2 or 3 seasons and they have 7 and 8 star players to spare.
    10 seasons in platinum nets 1000 tokens plus around 30 per season. Total 1300 tokens.
    10 seasons farming rests would net 7-9000 rest packs.
    After 10 seasons of tanking, but with old 8 star players they can go straight to the scout list and buy a new squad. And have plenty of rest packs to train them up.
    Meanwhile each of their 1st teams reap the rewards of being boosted by 100 tokens a season through staying in the platinum division of associations.
    The new exploit?

So there is a group with 3 normal 6* teams and 3 8* teams-tankers (the reserves).
    But with that mix, the group could play with another stronger group, with 3 teams of 9*-10* players and 3 5* players.
    As the asso games are not very stable, easily they could loose.
    (also having the disadvantage of double coaching).

After 10 seasons of tanking, but with old 8 star players they can go straight to the scout list and buy a new squad. And have plenty of rest packs to train them up.
    ok, and they can keep a super team for two seasons ?
    With a risk of playing vs a strong team of a +1 lv in the Cup or in the CH.L. ?
    For what then ? An easy league ?
    Loosing 10 seasons for (not secure) 2 or 3 successful seasons ?
    Doesn't look a good investment for me.

Famous
    Quote Originally Posted by nikolgiorgos View Post
    let me give you an example what it isn't fair (about tanking and asso draws)
    This group, has two teams with very high q (they built their teams with asso loans).
    Those teams are keeping their q with tanking.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Disciple of la Masia.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	78938
    That group might play with another which doesn't have so high quality like Yaya's team but similar avg q.
    Yaya (and the other team) are loaning three 9* to the other group mates and they getting stronger too.
    This group should play with another with the same roster teams and not avg of the 6 teams.
    That's not fair.
    Nik, that Chinese lady applied to Noel's association while I was in that one (i'm an association jumper, not gonna lie). I was a little disappointing we didn't add her team at first, but later learned that they're probably leaving their association to try and join others they could face for the purpose of scouting! I don't have a problem with it, since it's all gamemanship, but its good for people to be aware. Knowing the opponents orders/preferred play-style has been a big assist for me in h2h matchups in the past in my experience (happened 3 times).
    Last edited by pcmacdaniel; 03-10-2017 at 06:39 PM.
    nikolgiorgos and gamer5289 like this.
    Level 40 Manager

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast