Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How to counter a 4-1-2-1-2 Narrow Diamond

Apprentice
    Ahahahahahah!!! I'm sorry, that wasn't the right formation...it was 3N-1-2N-2W-2

I play this formation as an attacking one, so Attack minded, mixed pass, whole pitch press, hard tackle, long passing, zonal, off side trap on.
    Let's explain:
    as you know, 4-4-2 ND is an attacking formation, centered minded because of his peculiar shape, his strenght is the middle the 2 MC's and the AMC, sometimes supported by DMC's with red arr's.

So i think fall down both flanks could be a "must", but...you need a formation that either could front his middle line and the same time could push on flanks. You don't need to cover your flanks, he has got no wings.

At last three defenders could front his attack (be sure they're top trained or near to), one DMC could front his AMC (put blue arr). Your middle line drive the center pitch by number (4 Vs 2+1), put red arr's on your two MC's and let the exteranls do their work. In this way you'll get a crack between att and def lines, don't worry long pass could help you.
    To take advantage of the MC's attack along with strikers use mixed pass

Hope this could help you, surely something can be changed as arrows on externals or you could try the defensive mind to take advantage of the counterattack...but this arrangement served me.
    Good Luck.

Thanks Bubba, will play it next time a narrow diamond appears in front of me and will let you know how I get on, must admit haven't played a 4-4-2 nd this season in league, most seem to favour 4-1-3-2 or 4-3-2-1 or 4-3-1-2 in my league and once you have beaten those formations once you know what formation to play to counter them, hence I won my league yesterday. Thanks again

Apprentice
    Well done for your winning! Try and let me know your results, you surely just know that any results depend on opponent's settings, but i usually take care about any suggestion.
    See you soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Ahahahahahah!!! I'm sorry, that wasn't the right formation...it was 3N-1-2N-2W-2
    How to counter a 4-1-2-1-2 Narrow Diamond-ev9z4o.jpg
    I play this formation as an attacking one, so Attack minded, mixed pass, whole pitch press, hard tackle, long passing, zonal, off side trap on.
    Let's explain:
    as you know, 4-4-2 ND is an attacking formation, centered minded because of his peculiar shape, his strenght is the middle the 2 MC's and the AMC, sometimes supported by DMC's with red arr's.

So i think fall down both flanks could be a "must", but...you need a formation that either could front his middle line and the same time could push on flanks. You don't need to cover your flanks, he has got no wings.

At last three defenders could front his attack (be sure they're top trained or near to), one DMC could front his AMC (put blue arr). Your middle line drive the center pitch by number (4 Vs 2+1), put red arr's on your two MC's and let the exteranls do their work. In this way you'll get a crack between att and def lines, don't worry long pass could help you.

Hope this could help you, surely something can be changed as arrows on externals or you could try the defensive mind to take advantage of the counterattack...but this arrangement served me.
    Good Luck.
    very nice and very informative.. tried this formation but surely not a correct order. will take note your opinion bubba.. nice win btw

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post

Let's explain:

Good Luck.
    Well, sounds good. But he just needs red arrows dl dr n ur flanks not protected. Smart managers would see that in the game n set arrows on their dl dr n then the whole formation might not work cause no flank protection..
    Everybody who uses wide defender can easy use them in an attacking way as well, so a narrow formation without flank protection vs any wide defense can be screwed up
    Last edited by Peter Renn; 07-24-2014 at 08:43 AM.

Played against this formation today using 4-1-4-1.. Won 3-0 away. opponent was in 2nd position. Normal mentality, own half pressing, down both flanks, normal tackling, short passing and zonal marking. Red arrows on ML/R & DMC, 2nd half, removed arrow from DMC and put arrows on DL/R.

Good luck to all TE managers!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Renn View Post
    Well, sounds good. But he just needs red arrows dl dr n ur flanks not protected. Smart managers would see that in the game n set arrows on their dl dr n then the whole formation might not work cause no flank protection..
    Everybody who uses wide defender can easy use them in an attacking way as well, so a narrow formation without flank protection vs any wide defense can be screwed up
    You're right, i said that most of the results depend on opponent's settings, probably my deployment met a defending one...
    During the game you can change and adjust them to your liking and this is just a brick to add on experience.
    Peter Renn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kylos View Post
    Played against this formation today using 4-1-4-1.. Won 3-0 away. opponent was in 2nd position. Normal mentality, own half pressing, down both flanks, normal tackling, short passing and zonal marking. Red arrows on ML/R & DMC, 2nd half, removed arrow from DMC and put arrows on DL/R.

Good luck to all TE managers!
    Which formation did you play against Kylos, 4-4-2 narrow diamond or the 3-5-2 v style

Quote Originally Posted by Kicked Off View Post
    Which formation did you play against Kylos, 4-4-2 narrow diamond or the 3-5-2 v style
    Narrow diamond...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12