Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Formation Spreadsheet

Quote Originally Posted by 'Webber Van Botter View Post
    Hi guys,

I just find this thread and the links seem dead. Can you reupload the xls, please?
    Found some version of Yabdul's spreadsheet. May not be the latest:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    LeManiaque and oguzkaganaslan like this.

Famous
    Neat tool, I've totally missed this thread.

Does this still determine your strategy most the time, motrin? Have you noticed the reliability change over seasons, like it might if mechanics are being adjusted behind the scenes by Nordeus?

Quote Originally Posted by LeManiaque View Post
    Neat tool, I've totally missed this thread.

Does this still determine your strategy most the time, motrin? Have you noticed the reliability change over seasons, like it might if mechanics are being adjusted behind the scenes by Nordeus?
    If you're referring to the sheet I made, it determines my strategy every match (I don't use the fixed counter formations that are used in the other spreadsheet...still a cool idea). I've only added the tactics over the last 4 seasons with the tactics only being usable last season. So I don't have too much history the tactic effectiveness with behind the scene changes. For some reference, last season was the first season I used the tactics exclusively (I used the 3 previous seasons for experiments). I pulled off a double taking down many stronger (20+% opponents) and only lost 3 games (2 in cup quarterfinals to knock me out and 1 throwaway end of season game). My CL final win was against a 145% beast using 4-5-1v. This season, I've already lost a game to a slightly weaker ND at home 0-2 (me: 101%, opp: 100%). Struck me as weird since the day before, I faced stronger ND away and won 0-5 (opp: 108%, me: 100%). So obviously, nothing is fool proof. Note: no managers were present for my ND loss. I was present for my 0-5 win only made the substitution to get the green pack.

With that said, a little background:
    As you can see in my sig, I found a lot of early success. That was because I was very active in terms of finding quality nordgens. They also provided a lot of free packs to power train. With the changes to reduce the resources and nordgens and my unwillingness to wake up at 3am local time to find the nordgens, I found it hard to compete at the same level. Throughout that whole time, I used the sheet to set up my formation (no tactics yet). Early on, that was all I needed. At some point (I believe when associations started), it seemed that tactics were given much more weight. Winning wasn't as easy and I'd draw against significantly weaker opponents (some people call this a troll result...i felt it was due to wrong tactics). Given my personal state with the game (on the edge of quitting due to not being willing to do what was necessary to compete without paying), I decided to try to make the sheet spit out tactics that I'd like in order to reduce the amount of time I spent strategizing my tactics. Right now, the tactics it generates are close to the tactics I would choose. Of course, I'll find an error occasionally. I'll try out the tactic anyway and sometimes it works great and sometimes it's no good. The majority of games, I get some complimentary comment about a perfectly chosen tactic. Whenever I get some comment about having to change to high pressing or counter attack or whatever, I'll make some modifications to the tactics formulas. Again, it's not perfect and management during the game is still key to react to opponent changes. Playing with the formulas is a big part in keeping me interested in the game.
    Last edited by motrin; 10-20-2016 at 02:31 AM.

Famous
    Fascinating, thanks for sharing!

I can feel the same already, to compete the "hard" way takes a lot of time and consistency. The challenge is finding the "smart" way to compete and win.

Agree about reacting to opponent and in-match ratings/ results being a vital skill for winning, at least as the game currently plays.
    Good thread.

Quote Originally Posted by motrin View Post
    Found some version of Yabdul's spreadsheet. May not be the latest:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    Thanks motrin for your share

Famous
    Quote Originally Posted by motrin View Post
    If you're referring to the sheet I made, it determines my strategy every match (I don't use the fixed counter formations that are used in the other spreadsheet...still a cool idea). I've only added the tactics over the last 4 seasons with the tactics only being usable last season. So I don't have too much history the tactic effectiveness with behind the scene changes. For some reference, last season was the first season I used the tactics exclusively (I used the 3 previous seasons for experiments). I pulled off a double taking down many stronger (20+% opponents) and only lost 3 games (2 in cup quarterfinals to knock me out and 1 throwaway end of season game). My CL final win was against a 145% beast using 4-5-1v. This season, I've already lost a game to a slightly weaker ND at home 0-2 (me: 101%, opp: 100%). Struck me as weird since the day before, I faced stronger ND away and won 0-5 (opp: 108%, me: 100%). So obviously, nothing is fool proof. Note: no managers were present for my ND loss. I was present for my 0-5 win only made the substitution to get the green pack.

With that said, a little background:
    As you can see in my sig, I found a lot of early success. That was because I was very active in terms of finding quality nordgens. They also provided a lot of free packs to power train. With the changes to reduce the resources and nordgens and my unwillingness to wake up at 3am local time to find the nordgens, I found it hard to compete at the same level. Throughout that whole time, I used the sheet to set up my formation (no tactics yet). Early on, that was all I needed. At some point (I believe when associations started), it seemed that tactics were given much more weight. Winning wasn't as easy and I'd draw against significantly weaker opponents (some people call this a troll result...i felt it was due to wrong tactics). Given my personal state with the game (on the edge of quitting due to not being willing to do what was necessary to compete without paying), I decided to try to make the sheet spit out tactics that I'd like in order to reduce the amount of time I spent strategizing my tactics. Right now, the tactics it generates are close to the tactics I would choose. Of course, I'll find an error occasionally. I'll try out the tactic anyway and sometimes it works great and sometimes it's no good. The majority of games, I get some complimentary comment about a perfectly chosen tactic. Whenever I get some comment about having to change to high pressing or counter attack or whatever, I'll make some modifications to the tactics formulas. Again, it's not perfect and management during the game is still key to react to opponent changes. Playing with the formulas is a big part in keeping me interested in the game.
    Congrats for the time spent but I am probably missing something there as I do not understand what is guiding you in the decision making. I have tried to make a duel between 4-4-2 ND and 4-5-1V or 3-5-2V respectively and the sheets told me that in both case I was weaker overall. I never ever lost with those two tactics (acknowledged as very good counters in the forum) vs 4-4-2 ND on equal quality terms. The logic seemed to be there as I was obviously told I was weaker in center and better in the flanks, but... What did I do wrong ?
    Club: FC Lomagne

Level: 33

Current Season (44): League (ON STRIKE), CL (N/A), Cup (In - Quarter-Finals)

Previous Season: League (11th), CL (Final), Cup (Last 16)

Quote Originally Posted by gizzmo View Post
    Congrats for the time spent but I am probably missing something there as I do not understand what is guiding you in the decision making. I have tried to make a duel between 4-4-2 ND and 4-5-1V or 3-5-2V respectively and the sheets told me that in both case I was weaker overall. I never ever lost with those two tactics (acknowledged as very good counters in the forum) vs 4-4-2 ND on equal quality terms. The logic seemed to be there as I was obviously told I was weaker in center and better in the flanks, but... What did I do wrong ?
    First of all remember it reflects my mentality, which is defense first. So I weight strikers as 2 players in order to ensure that I mark them with two defenders (double marked). Now for how I use it:

Formation Spreadsheet-1.jpg

I will first plug in the opponent's formation. What I see against 4-4-2 is that it is defensively vulnerable up the middle. I also see offensively, it is slightly stronger up the middle. I also notice that (based on the numbers to the right) is an 8 (def), 4 (mid), 8 (atk). It's very balanced offensively and defensively. An attack with 8 is very hard to defend as that means you'll need 8 players within the midfield and defense to be safe. Again, you don't necessarily have to put that 8 back there, but remember I am defense first.

Formation Spreadsheet-2.jpg

So with 4-5-1v, what I see that it covers defense well with 7.75. What I personally aim for is at least a 5 in that box. I also look for the absolute value of the attack number to be a smaller number than defense number. In this case, 6.75 is less than 7.75. The lower the attack number, the more likely you are to get goals. So it ok in attack. On the top again, the opponent attack has 8 players vs your defense of 7. This is why I choose high press in this case. To keep the ball in the opponent pitch since your defense doesn't have enough people to cover his attack.

Formation Spreadsheet-3.jpg

For 3-5-2v, I see that defense is much lower than my criteria of 5. So it is a very offensive formation (obviously). However, the defense is 3.5 vs attack of 2.5. So that's still good. It is extremely strong on attack since it's 2.5 (anything below 5 is very offensive imo. Additionally, it is still 0 in the mid (neutral). I look for anything greater than 0 in the mid to make sure I don't have ball possession issues. Again, the defense count is much lower than the opponent attack count. So the key is to high press. Also short passing to maintain possession.

Formation Spreadsheet-4.jpg

Personally, I used to go ND. Solid defense (7.75), neutral middle (0), great offense (4.25). Again, high press since defense count lower than opponent attack count.

Formation Spreadsheet-5.jpg

More recently, I've gone with this odd formation (which I call the middle finger). Extreme on defense (11), very strong mid (4.25), ok attack (7.75). I equal the attack count, so I can go low press.

Also, the reason I have two sets in the sheet is to be able to do side by side comparisons of different formations. I will also plan the night before for the next day. One side, I'll have my first game and I'll have my second game set on the right side. This way, next day, when I'm struggling to fit the game in during work, I don't even have to think about how I set my formations.
    Last edited by motrin; 10-20-2016 at 11:21 AM.
    LeManiaque, Duncton and gizzmo like this.

One more tip: formation and tactic isn't everything. Focus on your player strengths. For example, currently, I do not have good performing aml/amr. But I have good mr/ml. So I will focus on formations using mr/ml when I want to go flanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Try out this formation --) dml,dc,dc,dc,dmr (5)....mc,mc,amc (3)...st,st(2). I am getting lot more wins these days..Hope this works for you.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    for the spreadsheet, how to determine the arrows?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast