Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: New club competition to rival Champions League?

  1. #1
    Famous Raykco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    1,644

    New club competition to rival Champions League?

    I have just read that the Qatari royal family is backing a proposed new club competition, to be held in the Gulf States, that could rival the European Champions League. It would bring even more wealth to the already mega rich (greedy), clubs. Maybe this could spell the end of the European Greed Cup (CL).

    Here's hoping.
    LONDON CITY

    Olympic Stadium...East London

    Season 47...........Manager Level 33

  2. #2
    Super Moderator PricopGeorgeCătălin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    12,888
    On moneys yes, on names no
    Learn how to play with us on www.topeleven.info and find out the best informations
    Orlova FC - onForum - LIKE Orlova FC - onYoutube - SUBSCRIBE Orlova FC - onFacebook

  3. #3
    Famous Raykco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    1,644
    I wish we could return to the old style European competitions. They were morally better.

    European Cup: Only for individual league champions, and current holders. Played in straight knock-out format.

    Europa Cup: For teams finishing either 2nd - 5th, or 2nd - 4th and including League Cup Winner.

    Cup-Winners Cup: For teams winning domestic cup (or losing finalist if winner is in Euro Cup).

    I know this will never happen because the big clubs would never allow it and they run football, along with TV, not UEFA or domestic FA's.
    LONDON CITY

    Olympic Stadium...East London

    Season 47...........Manager Level 33

  4. #4
    Super Moderator PricopGeorgeCătălin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    12,888
    I like more Europa Cup before
    Learn how to play with us on www.topeleven.info and find out the best informations
    Orlova FC - onForum - LIKE Orlova FC - onYoutube - SUBSCRIBE Orlova FC - onFacebook

  5. #5
    VIP July Fourth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    15,386
    Quote Originally Posted by Raykco View Post
    I have just read that the Qatari royal family is backing a proposed new club competition, to be held in the Gulf States, that could rival the European Champions League. It would bring even more wealth to the already mega rich (greedy), clubs. Maybe this could spell the end of the European Greed Cup (CL).

    Here's hoping.
    I hope so too... Then it might give Arsenal a better chance of winning the Champions League.
    *Retired From Top Eleven*

  6. #6
    Super Moderator PricopGeorgeCătălin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    12,888
    Quote Originally Posted by July Fourth View Post
    I hope so too... Then it might give Arsenal a better chance of winning the Champions League.
    Arsenal is to small for CL
    Learn how to play with us on www.topeleven.info and find out the best informations
    Orlova FC - onForum - LIKE Orlova FC - onYoutube - SUBSCRIBE Orlova FC - onFacebook

  7. #7
    VIP July Fourth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    15,386
    Quote Originally Posted by PricopGeorgeCătălin View Post
    Arsenal is to small for CL
    Thats wrong... Why have they played in the group stage for the last 16 years? they wouldn't be too small for the CL on that basis. Just can't win it thats all.
    *Retired From Top Eleven*

  8. #8
    Super Moderator PricopGeorgeCătălin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    12,888
    Quote Originally Posted by July Fourth View Post
    Thats wrong... Why have they played in the group stage for the last 16 years? they wouldn't be too small for the CL on that basis. Just can't win it thats all.
    Is a difference between playing in grups and win league

    There are few teams like that but you can't compare them with Manchester United or others.

    Celtic is always in grups but thats all.
    Learn how to play with us on www.topeleven.info and find out the best informations
    Orlova FC - onForum - LIKE Orlova FC - onYoutube - SUBSCRIBE Orlova FC - onFacebook

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    24
    This new league/cup would take years to catch up with the champions league, not many teams will vouch for this league, it will get no advertisement at all because no one likes playing in the middle of the desert of middle eastern countries, it will be a fail unless you offer the clubs like 200m just to enter

  10. #10
    Famous Raykco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    1,644
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharm View Post
    This new league/cup would take years to catch up with the champions league, not many teams will vouch for this league, it will get no advertisement at all because no one likes playing in the middle of the desert of middle eastern countries, it will be a fail unless you offer the clubs like 200m just to enter
    And that is what would happen. The Gulf States are rolling in money, and that's why the clubs would be interested. TV coverage would be no problem either. Big time football is more about making money now, than it is about sport.
    LONDON CITY

    Olympic Stadium...East London

    Season 47...........Manager Level 33