Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Like Tree296Likes

Thread: Buffs FC (Scottish Team) - server 112

Thanks David. I started just a few days into S1 and I think I rushed through the Training and Medical facilities for tokens. Thats why I just wait until mid-season to upgrade stadium - new stadium gets built for next season and I don't have to think about buildings in the second half - and I just accept that there is a small loss in income. But....take care of the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves so probably wiser to get those Seats in.

Feeder Club End of Season Round-up

3* side Celtic Rangers see out the season with another win: 4-1 v AC Milan. Captain Alan Higgins was again the stand out performer with 3 goals, MoM and another 9 rating. It was up to him to lead the way to goal with the regular strike force sidelined.

Alan Higgins

Higgins was later confirmed as Club Player of the Year, Fans' Player of the Year, the League's 2nd highest Goalscorer (behind team mate Ebrahimpour), the League's Assist King, the League's MVP and all round damned good guy.

In his first full season in charge, Midas McGonnigal can look back with pride on a season which delivered a League Title, the thrill of a Cup Semi and topping the group stage of the CL.

"I'm extremely proud of my team. I stuck to the core playing staff but was forced to acquire 2 new strikers due to injuries - its ironic that they are now carrying 14 days of injuries into the new season." Midas continued "There is a slight regret that our league campaign was 'tainted' (25-0-1) but as the lads pointed out, we were only 2 goals away from a perfect league campaign so its not beyond us. Perhaps one day. We might even try for 200 league goals next time."

Season in pictures

Shangalang FC were held to a draw in the final league match which saw them finish second by 2pts. However, as they are the forgotten team in the Buffs Franchise we'll gloss over that. Shangalang will only be used next season to test Counter-attacking formations and as friendly-fodder so we'll never hear of them again....unless they win the Treble!

Season 2 is dead, bring on Season 3.

Cup Opening Round

First game of the season and its a home tie in the Cup. Often these ties represent a banana skin for expectant managers and this was no different - except that Buffs were probably the skin that the higher quality visitors hoped to avoid.

Nevertheless it seemed like a calm and controlled start. Buffs threatened early through Dalglish and then Baxter and forcing a corner early on. However, the referee seemed to need time to settle - he lectured a visiting player for a tackle on Baxter and the player avoided a card but no-one noticed any free-kick. That seemed to spur on Slim Jim as he brought the ball from deep and cut inside and as Dalglish cut across the keeper looking for the near-post ball and an almost certain goal, Baxter curled it to the far past - Goal!.

A nice controlled evenlymatched passing game was unfolding, Buffs probing the flanks and Jengking FC prodding at the middle. A further chance came from Buffs as Dalglish took a pass from Souness and rounded the keeper but a last ditch sliding block turned the ball over the bar. The corner was cleared and fell kindly to the visitors and they broke at pace running for the heart of Buffs defence. Buffs' debutant *not yet named* make a fine tackle but slipped as he was about to clear the danger. It was hit first time and powered towards the top corner. Goram stretched every sinew and with the faintest of touches diverted it over. Half time came. *EDitor's note - and at fulltime Goram rated a 5!

Dalglish had seemed a bit jaded in the first half and strangely tired. Mols got ready to replace him - just as Dalglish picked up a loose ball and rifled it back across the keeper into the bottom corner. 2-0 for Buffs FC yet it was to be the last act for King Kenny as he was replaced, as planned. The vistors then pressed hard and they clearly weren't intent on losing another as Baxter hurdled a vicious sliding tackle but as he raced clear he pulled up clutching his groin and couldn't continue. McFadden was stripped for action while Baxter was treated. Amazingly it was a free-kick, no one had noticed the referee blowing but play restarted with a dead ball situation. Gemmell unleashed a piledriver that the keeper had covered....HAD until Johnstone flicked a heel and it was 3-0. 9 minutes later Johnstone was on hand again when Bremner burst into a gap in the defence and a quick lay-off served it up on a plate for Jinky. For the first time the business like faces of the Buffs faces showed traces of satisfaction - and the visitors wiped it off with an amazing solo run and finish to get off the mark in this tie. At last the ref signalled McFadden on and the tie drifted to the final whistle with neither team prepared to take any further risks.

A nice start to a long season.

Need to spam my own thread until theres a new one I can spam.

Celtic Rangers are almost held at home in the Cup, eventually winning 3-2. McGonnigal had to buy another striker due to injuries to the usual strike pairing and surprise suprise the usual reserve striker got injured today meaning that 3 strikers are out for 15 days between them and the new boy will be a lone striker. Thanks for that.

Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffs Mad View Post
    ...injuries to the usual strike pairing and surprise suprise the usual reserve striker got injured today meaning that 3 strikers are out for 15 days between them and the new boy will be a lone striker.
    I love this. I swear this game knows how to mess with you injury wise. I wish your team best of luck sir!
    Buffs Mad likes this.
    Manager of Foresters FC and Guide FC. Both teams on server '161'.

Wondering if I took the time to type out that fancy formation? Nah, check out my python script!

Wasn't able to watch the games so bit of a catch-up.

Yesterday Buffs FC lost the away leg in the Cup 1-0 but progressed anyway. Jimmy Johnstone got injured, Billy Bremner missed a penalty and in 88 mins Mackay was booked. Trollus T. Unexpectigo slotted home the free-kick for Jenking FC. (Just joking they were a 29Q team.)

Today saw the start of League and CL campaigns with Buffs winning 3-0 and 2-0 respectively (both home ties). Michael Mols was injured in the League match and Souness was ofc booked in the CL.

All 7 promoted teams from last Season back together in the league and all 7 are 25+Q sides - 3 of those 28+Q. Should be interesting.

Buffs travel to meet last years league Champions tomorrow then its onto the Cup where they host another friend and his 30+Q side (he's bought another player specially. )

This season I'll be playing reserves in the CL Group as that seems to spread out the higher quality teams until knockouts.

Edit: Oops, forgot to include.....

Transfer News

Over the past 2 days I've bought:

23yo 39Q DL/DC - Alex McLeish
    19yo 32Q DC/DR - Richard Gough
    20yo 33Q MC - Darren Fletcher and
    22yo 34Q ST - Denis Law

So I'm nearly skint but still need another AML and AMR.
    Last edited by Buffs Mad; 06-03-2014 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Transfer News
    Qambu Yaasi and Cat Harrison like this.

Big Game comes Early

Its only the second league game of the season but it feels like a crunch tie. Buffs welcomed current league champions and pre-season favourites BuiGia. In a cut-throat league last season Buffs lost close matches to this side both home and away with only a could've-should've feeling to show for their efforts.

As the match kicked off it was the visitors who blasted out of the blocks early with 3 chances i the opening 10 mins - one of which produced a wonder save from Andy Goram. But as the game wore on the Start-Boost wore off and Buffs settled to take possession. Although they had to remain vigilant as fast breaking BuiGia were forcing corners - still, Goram was proving a match for the crosses. Only 1 clear cut chance was created for Buffs with Bremner blasting over when clean through. A couple of corners for the Scots came and went and a free-kick opportunity was wasted as the sides went in level.

Buffs started the second half but the Lawman was dreaming as BuiGia's midfielder picked up the ball strode imperiously through for the midfield and unleashed a rocket from 30m. Goal! - the visitors were stunned. Thankfully the Buffs reacted and a fine solo effort by Baxter in 52 mins levelled - Gentleman Jim showed great composure cutting in from the left and rounding the keeper to score. Buffs now had a head of steam but both Law and his replacement Dalglish pushed chances wide and Bremner ballooned another gilt edged chance over. It was not one-way traffic - BuiGia threatened on the break and forced another finger-tip save from Goram. Buffs maintained the pressure but the breakthrough never came. The final result was a draw.

After the match Buffs Mad said "We deserved more but so easily could have had less. This is the type of game we were losing last season. I'm pleased we have learned the lesson to be brave and bold in everything we do. Now we must foucus on the Cup where we face even higher opposition." When asked if he would rotate he replied "We still don't have the strength in depth needed - some changes will be made but some will need to be patched up, rubbed down and wheeled on for another push."

Match in pictures

Quote Originally Posted by David Malone View Post
    An updated League table? Agree with mr Marco, it's fun to read a "blog" if you will from another football fan btw, why no Alan Mlcleish? LEGEND.
    And before I forget, I take it you meant Alex McLeish, so I've added him.

Buffs Held at Home in Cup

Buffs FC welcomed their Russian friends Avantgarde FC for the 1st leg of the Cup Qualifying round. Both sides were evenly matched.

The opening goal came for the Buffs in 28 mins as Baxter nodded home a McLeish corner. Bremner was then put in by Souness but blasted over. Bremner just hasn't been accurate enough recently. Buffs were to rue that miss as a neat 1-2 from the Russian attack saw the keeper rounded and a flick pass was made for an easy tap in. The visitors must've got a whiff of an opportunity - 7 mins into they second half they switched to play 3-3-2W-2. They were rewarded within 5 mins when they forced a free-kick and converted the opportunity. Buffs Mad considered his options and on the 63 min mark off came wingers Baxter and Johnstone and on went Dalglish and McFadden to reshape to 4-1-2-1-2 ND. The leveller came in 74 mins when Law held it up for the in-rushing McFadden who bulletted home the flick. Mackay wasted 2 glorious chances from a freekick and shot from close in soon after. Chances continued to come for both sides, although Buffs continued to hold territorial advantage. The Russian keeper pulled off a further 2 class saves before the end.

2-2 was not the result Buffs were looking for but, in the Cup, any result that keeps you in with a chance is decent. Win in Russia and they're through - lose and they're out - draw and they'll need to check the calculator has batteries.

League Win Away

Buffs Mad must've got lost in the bright lights of Jakarta but in his absence Buffs FC looked to have sailed through a routine win.

Nineteen year old Richard Gough appears to be settling in now with a 9 rated MoM showing. Bremner bit a leg in 74 mins with the score 4-0 for another needless booking. Michael Mols is expected to return from injury for the next league match.

Buffs Mad will rotate the squad for the Champions League match - although only 7 positions have double coverage atm.

Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast