View Poll Results: Do you rotate your squad?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 44.00%
  • No

3 12.00%
  • Sometimes

11 44.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Squad Depth

Squad Depth

An issue on TopEleven that is not very widely addressed is squad depth. Players whine about injuries, but if you have a "deep" squad, the impact of the injuries will be greatly reduced. I believe JustDoMe did a guide similar to this in the old forums, but since there's none here, I guess why not make one To start off, I'd like to give you my squad from two seasons ago and this season (I don't think I have a picture of last season's).

Two Seasons Ago:

This Season:

You should, or try to have at LEAST:
    • 2 GK
    • 5-6 defenders: DL (2)/DC (4) /DR (2); invest in multi-role defenders
    • 2 of each DML/DMC/DMR
    • 4-6 MC (depends on your style of play)
    • 2 of each ML, AML, MR, and AMR
    • 2 AMC
    • 3 ST

I would suggest you don't buy wingers who can only play one position, no matter how good and young he is. He can only be placed in one spot in your formation, and is not versatile. However, if you play with a definite formation involving the winger's position, then that would be an acceptable purchase.

I'm currently down an ML, an AMC, and a DR. However, notice how I'm currently playing my DML as an ML. This doesn't hurt me if I do it occasionally to rest my ML/AML (who is my only ML). I need to address that problem, but I have a DML and another AML who can temporarily cover for the ML should he be suspended or receive a small knock. The same issue goes for my DR, but my DMR's can, again, cover for him, or I can play with 3 DC's or an assymetric formation. For my AMC, I personally do not play many formations using AMC, and in an emergency I can push any one of my MC's up.

Also, I don't believe in the idea of "starter" and "bench player". All my players are 4 stars or higher, and I have done this without buying any tokens. I apply squad rotation, and it's very good for your players.

Everyone has a different playstyle, if you prefer to have one certain formation that you push for, then I suggest buying depth players according to your formation. If you don't rotate your squad as much, or even if you do, you can poach some pretty nice 3 star players for free on the market to sit on your bench. A lot of them are multi-role and have a special ability

Feel free to comment and give feedback!
    Last edited by The Great Johnny; 11-22-2012 at 12:39 AM.

I have a full roster of 22 players. The only position on the field that I don't have at least 2 players to fill it, is AMC. I rotate my players according to the opposition, injuries allowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Raykco View Post
    I have a full roster of 22 players. The only position on the field that I don't have at least 2 players to fill it, is AMC. I rotate my players according to the opposition, injuries allowing.
    Based on that, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you have been pretty successful so far this season

Apprentice
    Squad Depth-556708_10151163129459822_1384250662_n.jpg

This is my squad, I don't use wingbacks at all. Usually play a 4-5-1, with either 3 MCs and 2 AMCs, or 2 MCs and 3AMCs. If the opponent is weaker on the wings, I will move two AMCs to AML and AMR, and attack down the wings.

Sometimes, the other team will be about equal, or even stronger, so I'll move a midfielder back to DMC, and my two AMs will play either wide or central, again depending where the opponent's defence is weaker.

I agree with Johnny that multi position players are best, but I struggled to find another DL and DR that could also play DC, so ended up having to buy my no. 7 and no. 21. Right now my RB is playing every game, so I have to give him a green rest package now and then, but will rotate once no. 4 gets back. Also, only have a single striker available, so hoping my youth team can cough something up in about a week.

Like Johnny, I also do not buy tokens. I use the 5 tokens in 4 days deal, and sometimes manage to save tokens for next season after I'm done with my squad on day 1 of the season. Within the 5 star range, for me that's 80 to 84, and they're all 82 and 83, except for a couple who are 81. My goalkeeper, no. 2, and one of the DC/DMCs are 19 years old, also got a 21 or 22 year old in MC, so it's not impossible. My oldest buy was 30, another of the DC/DMCs.

Would like to analyse further, but the app's just closed for daily updating.
    Last edited by Aaron Ramsey Tiong; 11-22-2012 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention something

Aaron you seem to have a pretty specialized squad for your specific formations, which is very good in its own way. The only real concern for your squad would be your lack of wingers in general (besides your defenders). You have 3 open squad spots, but no DML/DMR or ML/MR, and only 1 pair of AML/AMR. If you come up against a formation that pushes through the flanks, your DL/DR would be overwhelmed, so I would suggest buying 1 old DMR or MR and 1 old DML or ML and have them sit on the bench, just in case something comes up. They can always play out of position if the need arises, just make sure they have a full morale and decent form.

Apprentice
    I wish i knew how to take pictures and post them on here i have 21 players and the only position i don't have is AMC which is fine as i play a 4-4-2 most of the time...have to admit in the league i will always play my best 11 but in the Cup as i normally play teams which are alot weaker than me thats where my fringe players come in Squad Depth-team.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Johnny View Post
    If you come up against a formation that pushes through the flanks, your DL/DR would be overwhelmed, so I would suggest buying 1 old DMR or MR and 1 old DML or ML and have them sit on the bench, just in case something comes up.
    this is why we need in game animation so we no how or team and the opposing side are playing.
    Manger: Dean burroughs.

Club: Kilkenny rugby FC-level 13.

Club Anthem: Slayer-Here comes the pain!

I tend to play my subs/reserves in the starting line-up if I am playing in a simple cup tie (early stages of the cup) or if im playing in a game I consider to be a dead rubber - like champions league group stage last game and already qualified for next round or the league final fixtures and the title has been won and theres no unbeaten record still intact.

I tend to keep 20 players in the squad, 2 goalies, 6 defenders/ 8 midfielders or 7 defenders/7 midfielders and 4 strikers. So injuries are normally covered. Any major injuries - i.e. key squad player then thats when the medic packs come into play.
    Last edited by July Fourth; 11-22-2012 at 10:15 AM.
    *Retired From Top Eleven*

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Brown View Post
    I wish i knew how to take pictures and post them on here i have 21 players and the only position i don't have is AMC which is fine as i play a 4-4-2 most of the time...have to admit in the league i will always play my best 11 but in the Cup as i normally play teams which are alot weaker than me thats where my fringe players come in Click image for larger version. 

Name:	team.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	57

Well, there's a picture attached to you post, and if that's your squad, it may not be the most versatile but it is strong.

Quote Originally Posted by July Fourth View Post
    I tend to play my subs/reserves in the starting line-up if I am playing in a simple cup tie (early stages of the cup) or if im playing in a game I consider to be a dead rubber - like champions league group stage last game and already qualified for next round or the league final fixtures and the title has been won and theres no unbeaten record still intact.

I tend to keep 20 players in the squad, 2 goalies, 6 defenders/ 8 midfielders or 7 defenders/7 midfielders and 4 strikers. So injuries are normally covered. Any major injuries - i.e. key squad player then thats when the medic packs come into play.
    I hear ya, I used to play like that too when I had 3 star players, but I realized that I needed a stronger squad, so I started selling 3 stars and keeping only 4 and 5 stars. Right now I have 3 GK, 2 of them are 78 quality (5 star for me) and are OS, but they are 29 and 31,and I have a 72 quality 21 year old, so I play my 29 and 21 year old and let my 31 year old sit on the bench until one or both of them gets injured or out of form.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast