Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Is 4-4-2 the best formation on the game?

I use 3-4-3, and i like it, but i sometimes use....

Greek Forum Moderator nikolgiorgos's Avatar
    Today I had a CH.L. final playing against a 4-4-2 so I 'll give an example.
    First of all, I set 4 defenders, with the best quality and the better latest performances.
    Then I checked my MC and oppo MCs. I had only 1 (of 3) MC in a good form so I prefer to use only this one, set my wingers who are in a good form and add a DMC.
    DMC is a very useful tool even if the game usually doesn't give him good rates (6 is the most common) but he helps a lot in midf and defense.
    I also checked oppo MCs and I saw that they didn't have great rates.
    If I had another good MC and AMC maybe I would use a 4-1-2-1-2 narrow diamond so overpowered him from the center.
    Finally my only MC did better job from his MCs and I got the center
    After 1-0 we both changed formations, I used a 4-2-1-2w-1 def/counters and he set a 4-3w-3. Then I was just defending and strike him back with counters.
    When my MC got a yellow card I feared for a second one but I risked because a sub could destroy my game
    So, it's not only a counter formation but players performance and coaching too.

Is 4-4-2 the best formation on the game?-lv10-ch-l-final.jpg
    Καλώς ήρθατε στο Ελληνικό φόρουμ
    http://forum.topeleven.com/%CE%93%CE...%B4%CE%B1.html

Famous
    I also heard many managers like using 4-1-2-1-2 narrow diamond to counter 4-4-2 and understand that they aim at overpower through center. However, at the same time, I also wonder if the 4-4-2 team can overpower them in the wing positions.

My teams' formations are based on 4-4-2. When I found the opponent is strong and especially in center, I always turn the arrow of one of my MC to blue. Then I will observe the match and determine if I will change the focus passing to down both flanks. Sometimes I will start DMC instead of a MC. But my teams do not always have DMC.

I am very cautious against formations strong in the middle. But so far I did not note obvious disadvantage or advantage due to formation.

PS. For information, I just found that one of my team was recently defeated by a slightly lower average quality and 1 league position lower opponent who use 4-1-2-1-2 narrow.
    Last edited by cookizzz; 04-03-2015 at 07:27 PM.

Greek Forum Moderator nikolgiorgos's Avatar
    I also heard many managers like using 4-1-2-1-2 narrow diamond to counter 4-4-2 and understand that they aim at overpower through center. However, at the same time, I also wonder if the 4-4-2 team can overpower them in the wing positions.
    you 're right, that's why it's very important to have 2 good winger backs to confront them (without the help of your M-AM).
    A kind of man to man.

I am very cautious against formations strong in the middle. But so far I did not note obvious disadvantage or advantage due to formation.
    because it's a combination with good players (quality and form). Although I 've noticed an obvious advantage using my (good) wingers against a 3DC defense.
    cookizzz likes this.
    Καλώς ήρθατε στο Ελληνικό φόρουμ
    http://forum.topeleven.com/%CE%93%CE...%B4%CE%B1.html

Addicted
    i think 4-4-2 is a very good formation as 4-3N-3 or 4-1-3N-2 !

And 4-5-1 V style is not a natural counter formation of 4-4-2 as i read before in this topic , i would say that i sometimes use 4-4-2 against 4-5-1 V and it works very well cause AML and AMR are marked by DL-ML and DR-MR ...

To counter a 4-4-2 you don't need DMC , but AMC is a good option !

4-4-2 is very very good for people who don't want to think at each formation which formation can counter this one or this one , in another word it's a very good formation to play during all the season especially for people who don't see all their matchs in live !
    cookizzz likes this.

I've always played 4-4-2 as it has a great balance of attack and defence.

I think it depends on what players you have in your team. I purposefully look for players that will fit in the 4-4-2 mould as that is the way I like to play. The only exception to that is I will have 1 player who can play AMC so I can move to a 4-4-1-1 if needed, but other than that I NEVER change from 4-4-2.

I'm level 27 now and I don't think I've ever used a player in the DML/DMR or AML/AMR spots other than when rotating in friendlies. I've seen lots of other managers mess up their teams and runs by trying to come up with clever formations or use formations to counter other people, where as I've always stuck to my guns and kept it simple. It seems to have worked for me.
    cookizzz likes this.

There is no doubt for me that 442 has the best pitch coverage of all formations. Therefore it doesnt have any obvious weaknesses. The point some poster said there's so many counters for 442, kinda proves my point. The best counter will be the formation your team plays best IMO.

Having said that, the only formation that would make me change my 442 is another weaker 442. For some reason the game benefits the weaker side in these situations. So, if you're weaker, then perhaps 442 is your best counter vs 442.

442 is one formation where i find myself changing what I use from season to season. In the hands of a good manager it offers many options and is an excellent Def c-a formation too, both middle, flanks or mixed.

Previously I've used 451v, a defensive c-a 442, and more recently 3142, but without 2 good strikers this season I went back to 451v and with 'hot' wingers its been a joy.

I've tried 3412 and other options with an AMC but didn't have much consistency - my fault, as I never really have a dedicated AMC.

When my team is good I love playing 442 - when we're a bit off I get indecisive, try to be clever, and a fail is just around the corner.

Like others have said, play to your strengths.

PS. When I had a c-a~every~match alt team, which used 442, the only formation I got nervous about facing was WD.

I use a 3-1-3-3 an i am fine i didn't see any foum for my formation Just think that your owning a real madrid/barcelona to guide and set your formation with a true spirit you may win any one.And with that i am no.1 in thw league

Are you playing narrow or width? Bt seriously i dont think i will have a problem facing team like that with 3142 or 451v be it real madrid or barcalona😃.
    I dnt know bout you but whenever i play oppo with 3 striker i always notice only 1 will be effective the other 2 will have low rating or not effective. Maybe yours effective i dont know✌

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast