Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By ByloBand
  • 2 Post By Staggy Stagg
  • 1 Post By Cat Harrison

Thread: Resignation?

Rookie

Resignation?

While I have not finalized any decision regarding this matter, I am heavily leaning toward retiring upon the conclusion of this current league season. I am very proud of the achievements and accomplishments we've made in these short years at AC United FC, but my desire and my heart just do not seem to be in it any longer.

In part, this has something to do with my being relegated to more of a passive observer with each subsequent season. My first season I was heavily involved and attended every match. As the seasons go on though, my match times are getting less and less convenient, to the point where I cannot even remember the last match I was able to attend. It is getting harder and harder to remain interested when the matches take place on their own.

I also seem to be losing steam for the competition. I've come damn close two seasons in a row to pulling off a treble - two seasons ago I won league, cup, and 2nd in CL and last season I got 2nd in league, and won the cup and CL. - and there is really no way to really feel great about that. There are no victory laps here, the day after the competitions you get placed in a brand new league with total strangers and it all begins again. There is no time to relish the achievement, and you are also denied the ability to rub your opponents' faces in your victory the following season, because you get paired with complete strangers. In short, I'm finding it extraordinarily difficult to stay motivated.

Building my team has been enjoyable, but with the never ending wave of promotions, it all seems like too much building of sandcastles next to a rising tide. You can spend a significant amount of time signing youth players, training up your guys, and signing a few key transfers, and in 28 days you'll likely have to replace about 50% of your roster. I do not believe real football is like this. I'm not overly familiar with the tiered system in Europe, but I cannot imagine there are more than 4 tiers of teams. I mean by this that even should a top flight squad get relegated to the depths of the lower divisions, there is only a couple of tiers to climb before the pinnacle is reached. Building my current squad at level 4 seems completely pointless when I fathom that there is no top tier to strive for, and no end in sight.

The lack of meaningful controls, data, over-reliance on reds/blues/greens, etc are mildly annoying but I've learned to live with them, but when stacked up with all my other internal philosophical hurdles, it is becoming simply too much to bear. Logging in every day to check my squad, get my token, earn a few reds/greens, checking for injuries, etc is becoming more and more a chore, and not a joy. This is why I feel I may need to walk away at the conclusion of the season.

Is there any way I can hand over the reins to somebody who wishes to continue the fine legacy and tradition of AC United FC, or do I simply stop logging in?
    Last edited by ByloBand; 09-05-2015 at 03:33 AM.

Addicted
    If I were you, I would stay.

This is not a game, treat it as your life. Sometimes you have to face to something you don't think that makes sense or makes you feel frustrated, can you resign from your life?

Keep doing and let us do something to make us happy.

Quote Originally Posted by ByloBand View Post
    While I have not finalized any decision regarding this matter, I am heavily leaning toward retiring upon the conclusion of this current league season. I am very proud of the achievements and accomplishments we've made in these short years at AC United FC, but my desire and my heart just do not seem to be in it any longer.

In part, this has something to do with my being relegated to more of a passive observer with each subsequent season. My first season I was heavily involved and attended every match. As the seasons go on though, my match times are getting less and less convenient, to the point where I cannot even remember the last match I was able to attend. It is getting harder and harder to remain interested when the matches take place on their own.

I also seem to be losing steam for the competition. I've come damn close two seasons in a row to pulling off a treble - two seasons ago I won league, cup, and 2nd in CL and last season I got 2nd in league, and won the cup and CL. - and there is really no way to really feel great about that. There are no victory laps here, the day after the competitions you get placed in a brand new league with total strangers and it all begins again. There is no time to relish the achievement, and you are also denied the ability to rub your opponents' faces in your victory the following season, because you get paired with complete strangers. In short, I'm finding it extraordinarily difficult to stay motivated.

Building my team has been enjoyable, but with the never ending wave of promotions, it all seems like too much building of sandcastles next to a rising tide. You can spend a significant amount of time signing youth players, training up your guys, and signing a few key transfers, and in 28 days you'll likely have to replace about 50% of your roster. I do not believe real football is like this. I'm not overly familiar with the tiered system in Europe, but I cannot imagine there are more than 4 tiers of teams. I mean by this that even should a top flight squad get relegated to the depths of the lower divisions, there is only a couple of tiers to climb before the pinnacle is reached. Building my current squad at level 4 seems completely pointless when I fathom that there is no top tier to strive for, and no end in sight.

The lack of meaningful controls, data, over-reliance on reds/blues/greens, etc are mildly annoying but I've learned to live with them, but when stacked up with all my other internal philosophical hurdles, it is becoming simply too much to bear. Logging in every day to check my squad, get my token, earn a few reds/greens, checking for injuries, etc is becoming more and more a chore, and not a joy. This is why I feel I may need to walk away at the conclusion of the season.

Is there any way I can hand over the reins to somebody who wishes to continue the fine legacy and tradition of AC United FC, or do I simply stop logging in?

You can let the forum know what server you are on and what level you are at and when you are leaving if you want to earmark for a dedicated player that will do your club justice. Otherwise, I understand your frustration, but quitters don't win trebles. And nearly any intelligent token buyer can hit cup and CL finals lvl 2-4, (I couldn't my first time around :/) the real test is creating a narrative about your clubs history. I get jacked planning and choosing my squad and transfer moves and if the game doesn't keep you engaged, then maybe it's time to move on. I think you had too much success too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ByloBand View Post

Depends on the organization. In Germany there are 12 levels but, below level 3, you have a large pyramid

-
    -
    -
    - - - - -
    - - - - - - - - -- -
    etc

In England, it can go down to level 22 (Sussex Division 9), but the system is like

-
    -
    -
    -
    - -
    - - -
    - - - -
    - - - - -
    - - - - - -
    etc.

Anyway there's no record of a team which climbed more than 4 level or 5 levels. Some teams take decades to climb 1 level, because in real life the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Preston North End has been trying to get back to the top tier since 1961 without success.

And of course, only 4 teams in the whole country go to the Champions League. There are only 6 "champions leagues" in the whole world. One for each continent, Europe: Asia, Africa, North America, South America and Oceania.
    Last edited by Celtic; 09-05-2015 at 08:08 AM.

I agree it is demoralising somewhat to come so close to a treble or as happened to me last season I won my 3rd CL and my first Cup after 22 seasons, but finished 7th in the League, so no opportunity to defend the CL the next season. Then 4 days after my Cup win I'm knocked out 1st round. So a season of only League games and friendliest to play after arguably my best season previously.
    It would be a shame for you to walk away, you can make changes, re-schedule home games, do the usual farming of boosters and tokens etc. Even tank a season or two. The game is what you make of it, not life or death. There are faults and irritants but you get past those. I'm sure you can see it is only a game.
    Good luck pal.

FC Loella. Server 121. Level 22
    14 League Titles
    3 Champions Leagues
    1 Cup
    ROMANBY VILLAGE FC (founded December 24th 2013)
    Level 121
    49 League
    8 Champions League
    3 Super League
    12 Cup

1 Super Cup

Top Eleven Forum Moderator

Rookie
    I cannot explain it, I just seem to have lost my desire. My analogy of building a sandcastle in front of an incoming tide sums up how I feel: I spend a lot of time and effort building a nice castle, to have in inevitably washed away, forcing me to do it all again. Or if you prefer, I am starting to feel like Sisyphus, forever rolling that rock up the hill only to have it roll back down for me to start again.

I am not sure what is missing, but something fundamental is wrong. I know part of how I'm feeling is I feel I am spending too much time earning reds/blues/greens, and that is time I now feel I want to spend with my kids/wife. Football is also starting up here this week and some of my attention is going to turn to my beloved Seattle Seahawks. My work situation is also pretty abusive right now, and forced overtime is really cutting into my free/family time.

In short, I think I found what I was looking for in this game, but it feels like a good time for me to move on to other things
    Cat Harrison likes this.

Addicted
    Wow, it took me nearly as long to read David Copperfield.
    Cat Harrison and kevolution like this.

English Forum Moderator Cat Harrison's Avatar
    Bylo, one thing about the sandcastles. When I decided I didn't need to have all Scout level players in my starting lineup the game became a lot easier to play. You really don't need to have a five star team, in fact slightly above average quality I think is best if you want to go for a treble honestly.

You can play light.. like Khris, take a season or two off and come back when you have time

And... I know how much the fixture times blow.. I now only attend the really important matches and usually I reschedule them for my convenience.
    La Morralla FS likes this.
    Expressed above is my own opinion. Your results may vary.
    ▬ ▬ ▬▬ ▬ ▬▬ ▬ >BvB
    < ▬ ▬▬ ▬ ▬▬ ▬ ▬
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Just tank a season then...