Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Is pressing High or tackling Hard ever worth it?

Question Is pressing High or tackling Hard ever worth it?

In one of my early seasons, I was playing a much higher rated Cup opponent. I had not yet learned to counter higher Q with better formation, orders, etc. I expected to lose, but thought that if I had one chance of beating him, I had to go at him hard. I switched Pressing style to High and Tackling style to Hard. My guys turned yellow towards the end of the first half, grabbed a bunch of yellow cards, and every goal he scored was on a free kick. I lost, but could not help thinking that I did it to myself.

In fact, I have lost every game I have ever played pressing High. Of course, this could be because I have only ever gone High against opponents who outclassed me. But I could not help feeling that on High players run out of steam quickly with nothing to show for it.

And I have never again tackled Hard.

Do you ever press High or tackle Hard?

Oh, and I have also lost the only game when I went Man-to-man. I am not as curious about playing Man-to-man, but feel free to comment on it as well.
    Last edited by ponzu; 01-14-2016 at 10:50 PM.
    Team Orange Roughies | Last season league winners, Cup and CL finalists | Season 11 | Level 11

TREBLE wins: 1
    League: 7
    Cup: 2
    Champions League: 2

Famous
    I've been playing high pressing 95% of games and probably use 'hard' tackling about 20% of the time for the last 35 seasons, works for me.
    Bunzo likes this.

Addicted
    well.... hard to say... I always use high pressing... + hard tackling... sometime hard tackling won't get any card for several matches....and when the time i switch to normal...i got red card =.=....
    so...i only use high pressing (that will tired the player more)...and hard tackling no matter what.... i also try easy...but the guys seems.... really "easy" on the ball and do nothing =.=....

They're both risk factors. Imo, you need to have a fit team with 99% good for attacking and defending. You will lose condition faster using this so if your opponent makes subs they might be fresher than your team.

Hard tackling gives you more tackles meaning less chances for opponent and more possession but you run the risk of giving away set pieces and bookings.
    I gave away a penalty because my ass man advised me to use it. Went from 1-0 up to 1-3 down

Quote Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
    my ass man advised me to use it. Went from 1-0 up to 1-3 down
    Oh, THAT guy.
    Team Orange Roughies | Last season league winners, Cup and CL finalists | Season 11 | Level 11

TREBLE wins: 1
    League: 7
    Cup: 2
    Champions League: 2

High pressure:

- Give you better defending ability.
    Turn it high when against strong teams, low when you want to save player's condition.

- Give you better attacking ability.
    High pressure inscrease the chance your players will recover then ball from the opponent and start counter attack.
    Also, you will see your attackers "steal" the ball from their defenders and create scoring oppoturnities.
    This is like Gegen-pressing strategy, you can see how it works when watching Liverpool's matches.

Hard Tackling:

+ Improve your defending ability
    - Inscrease the chance that your players will get booked, and the opp will have free kicks.

My experience

I always use Hard pressure, even with slightly weaker teams.
    If i have good goal advantage, i turn it low to save condition.
    Against much weaker team, i use low pressure, still win easily,

I never use Hard Tackling, even against much stronger team.
    I turn it hard when i'm the away team in friendly match only (to bring some injuries for the home team)
    moaz6629 and El Pistolero like this.

I used to use hard tackling in about 50% of games as I wanted to mash up as many of my opponents players as possible, especially league rivals and in CL group stage. The extra aggression can actually hurt your own players as they fly into tackles more recklessly plu sif the opponent has a good FK taker you are conceding good scoring chances. I've rarely used them both together as most attacking players have lower defensive stats and would only do so if their defenders were unbalanced in their offensive skills. I try to avoid cards now in non-essential games.
    I like pressing high when I'm sure my opponent is using short passing and late in games when I have a lead and want to keep to ball away from my own half. High pressing should be combined with man to man marking and/or with offside trap to be most effective. You are rolling your positioning and speed against the opponents tho and mixed passing/good dribblers can wreck this entirely.
    Renamed to Bolton Wanderers Season 27.
    League Winners: 3,5,8,16,21,24,26,30,31,40
    Cup Winners: Seasons 10,25,28,35,40
    CL Winners: Seasons 19,23.37,
    Nivea winners; Season 30,41
    The Hoof is the Proof.

Tactically speaking, defensive = low press + counter, attacking = high press + offside trap (due to low and high backline in respective cases) I prefer zonal marking when attacking and man marking when defending. Tackling... Always normal unless the ass man suggests something else.
    AH AH — manager of Atlético Kolkata. Named in honour of my hometown club, Atlético de Kolkata, which won the inaugural edition of Indian Super League in 2014.

A good defence is the best offense.

I have a idea about hard tackling that is pending to analyze really... and is the fact that against better Q teams usually one fail mor in the tackling so often if we have low Q. we are booked. So my theory say that as this is the moct common situation use had against weaker teams that surprise us, can be a solution and low tackling against better Q. teams can avoid more fouls than what we need to have against us against a team that, initially is better and that if we increase the fouls ratio can suposingly "overcome us more easy".

?

Does everyone agree with this?

In order for high press to work you should have more offensive players than your opponent has defensive on his side of the field OR you should have a superior team that just completely runs rampant over your opponent. In either case there's a chance of troll result.

The only time I try hard tackling is if i'm far superior to the other team or my ass man suggests it. Usually after a few mins in hard tackle mode my ass man says your generating too many fouls.

If your opponent is using counter attacks effectively switch to low press so your defense is in position to stop the CA.

I think this is how it all works, but would love to hear from some of the other pros that have been here longer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast