Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Americanisation of Football

Americanisation of Football

This is a pet hate of mine & I´ve noticed it getting more & more common on here & also on Top eleven Facebook groups.
    Ok " Roster "nobody has that they have a Squad A Squad of players
    " Draft" It´s not the Draft list & you don´t "draft" a player …it´s a Transfer list & you sign a player
    "Overtime" Overtime is never played ..it´s Extra time (AET)………
    There´s others but I´ve lost interest now…but really do we have to americanize things ?

Ok rant over….
    dave1311 likes this.

forgot the worst. Soccer.
    Bunzo likes this.

I will not even say that word

Famous
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunzo View Post
    This is a pet hate of mine & I´ve noticed it getting more & more common on here & also on Top eleven Facebook groups.
    Ok " Roster "nobody has that they have a Squad A Squad of players
    " Draft" It´s not the Draft list & you don´t "draft" a player …it´s a Transfer list & you sign a player
    "Overtime" Overtime is never played ..it´s Extra time (AET)………
    There´s others but I´ve lost interest now…but really do we have to americanize things ?

Ok rant over….
    Neither "Roster" nor "Squad" belong to my mother tongue. I may use either of them just to make myself understood and both have exactly the same meaning to me. Funny to see someone from Norway fighting for english language as I do not see it (american or english) in great danger at this stage of World's history.
    Club: FC Lomagne

Level: 33

Current Season (44): League (ON STRIKE), CL (N/A), Cup (In - Quarter-Finals)

Previous Season: League (11th), CL (Final), Cup (Last 16)

Quote Originally Posted by gizzmo View Post
    Neither "Roster" nor "Squad" belong to my mother tongue. I may use either of them just to make myself understood and both have exactly the same meaning to me. Funny to see someone from Norway fighting for english language as I do not see it (american or english) in great danger at this stage of World's history.

You assume because I live in Norway Im Norwegian ?

I will assume you´re French so you will have a basic grasp of the english language

Famous
    All y'all very particular bout some synonyms.

When Nord starts swapping Anglo terms into the alternative language, then I'll be onboard the Défense de Langue bandwagon

Bunzo and Jeeves like this.
    "Please stay polite"
    -The Justicer, "Never accept defeat"

Pueblo FC

Unofficial Updates Thread

Famous
    Quote Originally Posted by gizzmo View Post
    "Roster" nor "Squad" ... both have exactly the same meaning to me.
    A roster is a list or non-physical representation of players currently assigned to a team. While a roster can describe all members of a team, a squad represents the physical members; one can "check the roster" to verify if Messi was transferred, but the roster describes the squad, not vice versa. A squad can have a full roster, a roster can "show" or describe, but not "be" a squad. Squad may also indicate a smaller subsection of a larger group, "Les blues really have a strong Cup squad this season," indicating they may field a weaker squad during friendly play.

I will say that a "draft" describes a particular method of player transfer, and it's not what we have in any case in T11.

Famous
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunzo View Post
    You assume because I live in Norway Im Norwegian ?

I will assume you´re French so you will have a basic grasp of the english language
    Both of your assumptions are perfectly correct. "Basic" being more than a nice definition.
    Bunzo likes this.
    Club: FC Lomagne

Level: 33

Current Season (44): League (ON STRIKE), CL (N/A), Cup (In - Quarter-Finals)

Previous Season: League (11th), CL (Final), Cup (Last 16)

I´m not concerned with the meaning of the word Im more on about it not being a footballing term.
    I´ve never heard the word roster used in any footballing term in the UK. Unless you know different?

edit: " Sir Alex checked the roster"… no Im just not going to buy that one
    Last edited by Bunzo; 11-16-2016 at 04:07 PM.
    LeManiaque likes this.

Yes let's philosophise a bit more about football

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur5fGSBsfq8

Bunzo and LeManiaque like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast