Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Goalkeeper importance

Addicted

Goalkeeper importance

Trying to read as many threads as possible regarding goalkeepers and their importance. According to older threads, I can conclude that they seem to be of least importance to the team. Is this still the case? Is it wiser to spend your cash and rest packs on fast trainers for other positions and just buy an older solid goalkeeper?

I like to believe that goalkeepers are important, but so far mine has never been awarded MoM or had particularly high rating compared to other players.

Antoher disadvantage with goalkeepers is their lack of versatility. With other positions, you're able to train them for multiple positions and do some in game managing by changing formations and switching positions. This is not possible with goalkeepers. They are what they are.

Skickat från min VOG-L29 via Tapatalk
    Download my power training tool here https://forum.topeleven.com/tutorial...alculator.html

Imo GK is one of the least important positions. It's a very scripted position, when your team is poorly prepared (wrong formation, tactics, weaker players compared to opponent) he will be bad, no matter how "good" he is regarding his skills and so on. There are very few games where GK snatches man of the match and you seem to win because of him making saves, but in my opinion every GK has the potential to be that man, also the weaker ones on paper.
    With that being said though, I noticed that it is a huge advantage having as many strong players as possible compared to just having 1 or 2 star players and the rest being below average. So investing in a good GK can also be beneficial, however it would be one of the last positions I would pay attention to. Primarily you should focus on training good offensive players and DCs.

Apprentice
    I used to think the same, having previously built strong keepers, seemingly to no real effect. Now however, he seems to be included in the key contribution positions and I would say, make him as good as you can.

I am in a very strong friendly championship league, with some very strong managers. We all have attackers with key skills close to or over 300% and all between 123%-147%. The player with the weakest GK is really really struggling. He has a better rated team than mine, a few better trained players, stronger defenders (200%+ whites getting 4.0's),yet he has managed to only get 4 PTS. I'm at 123% and have 18 pts., With a 146% keeper. His is 92% so other than looking at keeper, so I think it's been a good test of that position's in importance in the game at the minute.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Seeker85; 05-16-2020 at 12:29 PM.
    Nebu and owlique like this.

I don't agree to your conclusion that GKs are least important in a team.

It's possible to have good attackers and still concede as many goals as possible to eliminate your team. You will only feel the importance when you acquire a very good GK.

Last two season, I sign a GK from daily recommendation, he was very good until he attained the age of 22.

After a season when he was young, he had 20 clean sheet in 25 matches in league and also got reasonable clean sheet in the cup and champions league also.

I've been having issues with my present GK though but when you are lucky enough signed a very good GK, then you know how important a GK is to a team

Sent from my TECNO L9 Plus using Tapatalk

Addicted
    Thanks for everyone's feedback. Opinions seem divided when it comes to GKs. For reference, my GK has held a clean sheet 15 games straight, not counting friendlies (23 incl.) and he's 90 % q.

Would you all agree that the GK position is one of the last that you should invest in? If not, when should you invest in a (fast training) GK according to you? What positions have to be secured before you hunt for a fast training GK?

Skickat från min VOG-L29 via Tapatalk
    Download my power training tool here https://forum.topeleven.com/tutorial...alculator.html

speaking as someone who is not that experienced with the game and playing in lower levels, I feel that GK are as important as any other player on the field. I have had 6 clean sheets in a row mainly because of GKs, at least in two of the games...Of course just like the real life, a great keeper will look weak when his or Defense is weak, but in close games, you see how GK make a difference. Good luck to you.

Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Der_Ryan_M View Post
    Imo GK is one of the least important positions. It's a very scripted position, when your team is poorly prepared (wrong formation, tactics, weaker players compared to opponent) he will be bad, no matter how "good" he is regarding his skills and so on. There are very few games where GK snatches man of the match and you seem to win because of him making saves, but in my opinion every GK has the potential to be that man, also the weaker ones on paper.
    With that being said though, I noticed that it is a huge advantage having as many strong players as possible compared to just having 1 or 2 star players and the rest being below average. So investing in a good GK can also be beneficial, however it would be one of the last positions I would pay attention to. Primarily you should focus on training good offensive players and DCs.
    Lol what about this goalkeeper ? Im pretty sure that he has more goals/assists than some of yours.

Goalkeeper importance-20200517_114850.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by RaiKo View Post
    Lol what about this goalkeeper ? Im pretty sure that he has more goals/assists than some of yours.
    Yeah but what's the point in letting GKs take freekicks? Every other attacking player would have made much more out of such opportunities, completely wasted potential in my opinion.
    Grandef, minamino and Polotoed like this.

Addicted
    I think its more importante that he has clean sheets 23 out of 38 is not that good

Apprentice
    17/20 league clean sheets. 8/11 in CL. My attackers certainly take the pressure off but still class and solid 8-8-8-8-8's.

As I said before, the teams with the weakest goalkeepers are not coincidentally bottom of our 'group of death' friendly championship event. When two teams with great attackers match up, you need a good keeper.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast