Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Formation and Order guide

Apprentice

Formation and Order guide

**Always play your best players and change your formation according to what players you have rather then trying to fit your players into a specfic formation.**

First off, I want to say, I don't actually play any other formation apart from 4132 because I don't have the players to play them. But I have read enough to have a good guess how the match engine works so I'll put a few tips down on how to counter a formation.

Defence
    How many to play in defence largely depend on how many attackers you are facing.

Generally, you would want your defenders to outnumber your attackers by one to counter his attack. So if they play one strikers upfront, play 2 dc, two strikers upfront 3 dc, 3 strikers upfront play with 2 dc with a dmc blue arrow.

Edit: Come to conclusion that 4 at the back is usually the best defence just like real life. The main reason is because 3 at the back is way too easy to exploit if the other manager knows what he is doing. Also, I have found 4 at the back tend to be able to handle three strikers using zonal marking and gives you a spare man to win somewhere else on the pitch.

Against 1 striker you can play 4 at the back or lopsided 3 at the back with one full back and 2 dc as you need a minimum of 3 defenders. The empty side, you can make up anywhere along the side to make it a legal formation. e.g. if you play DL, DC, DC then you will need to play one of DR/DMR/MR/AMR.

Attack
    Similarly, in attack you generally do not want to be outnumber by their defenders. If they play 3W defence (DL, DC, DR), you should play 2 strikers to abuse his one dc. If they play the usual 4 at the back, then usually it is good to play 2 strikers rather than one against his 2 DC or you can play 3 strikers against this 2 DC. However, I tend not to like a three strikers formation because against teams better than yours, you probably need more at the back then at the front whilst you don't need 3 strikers to beat a team weaker than you anyway.

Against a 3DC formation, it is usually better to play 1 striker upfront supported by AML/AMR. The reason is that you have his 3 DC triple marking your one guy and give you enough players to elsewhere on the pitch where you can make a difference. In this case, on the wings to attack him.

Midfield
    So given how many players you need in defence and attack is kinda easy to work out, the midfield is where you might need to tweak a lot of positions.

Again, it is preferable to outnumber their MC by at least one. If they play 1 MC, you should play 2. If they play 2 MC, you should play 3 MC or 2 MC plus 1 DMC and against 3 MC, you should at minimum have 3 also and maybe to be safer play a DMC to clean up if you have the spare man to do so.

Wingers
    To have a legal formation, you need a least one play on each side. If you play four at the back, your DL and DR would mean you do not need to play any other wingers. Usually, that is what I do and where I get the extra men to win in other areas of the pitch. So against a 43N2W1v, I would play 4132 where I win my 2 DC against his 1 striker, win the centre midfield battle with 3MC plus DMC against his 3MC and go even with my strikers vs his 2 DC. For me to win those positions, I have to sacrifice my wings and his fullbacks have no one to mark but also provide a negligible offence since they are so far back.

If you play with 3N DCs, then you need to make up the wings with either DML/R or ML/R. I would suggest not playing 5 at the back as it is too defensive and can be countered with force counterattack order. If they play with full backs, then you can play AML/R for your only wingers since you do not need to defend.

So that is basically it on how to make counter formations. The only other things are to place your attacking players where he has no defenders e.g. if he plays DMC, don't play AMC. If he plays with DML/DMR and you have extra attackers to play, play AMC instead of AML/AMR etc.

If I give a few examples:

3W123W1 - counter is 4132. 2 dc against his 1 striker. Go even with his midfield but win his defence because you have 2 strikers to his one DC.

4213 - counter is 4132. In this instance because he plays three upfront, you can play 4 at the back with DMC blue arrow to mark his middle striker so that you are not out numbered in defence. It is far more preferable then tying to play 5 at the back to mark his 2W3 attack or 3 DC where your defence go even with his strikers. You then win the midfield battle because you have 3 MC vs his 2 MC. The only thing to be aware of is that red arrow is needed on your fullbacks as they have not much to mark on the wings and should not be wasted hanging back. Or even better is to not play one of the fullbacks and play a proper winger further up the pitch so you have a lobside formation.

3N2W3N2 - counter is 3N151 you beat his attack with one more player and you win the midfield battle with an extra DMC. What you lack tho is enough attackers. As said above, usually with 3N, you try to beat it with 1 striker and attack him down the wings with AML and AMR. But in this case, since he has also DML and DMR, it would be better to play ML/MR instead and beat it using force counter attack.

Final disclaimer: All of this is my guess of how things work like everybody else since no one knows how the match engine works. Therefore, nothing I have written is set it stone. DYOR. If you think something don't make sense or it doesn't seem to apply to our experience, please write below to discuss it! Ta.
    Last edited by TimYoung; 09-30-2013 at 09:02 PM.
    soomrox and Bayram Uysal like this.

Apprentice
    Force Counter Attack

Generally best used against teams that park the bus and don't play with a lot of attackers.

It is the best way to score against a defensive team set up as you cannot break through his def the normal way and they do not have enough offensive players to be too much of a problem in giving them a goal scoring chance when you give them possession.

Forced counter attack is for you to give the other team the ball and when you win the ball back, you get to attack him during the transition when his team and defence is outta position.

This means that you should only use defensive or normal mentality as you are risking giving him the ball and to steal it back off him to start your attack. There is no point playing attack formation since you do not need the extra attack to go through his outta position defence but the main point is to win the ball back.

I have won plenty of games 8-0, 9-0 playing counter attack with defensive mentality.

The prerequisite tho is that you do need a good defence to play it and why I build my squad from the back or if your defence is not good enough, you are just giving the other team the ball for them to score more goals against you.

The last thing is that when playing counter attack, always use mix passing rather than through the mid or any other type. This is because their team is outta position when you win the ball back and you do not need to go through specific channels to score.
    soomrox likes this.
    Chelsea FC
    SEASON 3 -- LEVEL 3: DOUBLE
    SEASON 2 -- LEVEL 2: **TREBLE!!!**
    SEASON 1 -- LEVEL 1: League Champion

4132 guide

Apprentice
    Whole Pitch Pressing

You use whole pitch pressing when your offensive players outnumber their defensive players.

You should only use own half pressing most of the time. Whole pitch pressing is useful tho when they are light at the back. For example, when playing against 3w defence (DL DC DR) and you have two strikers on their single DC, it is worth your strikers pressing him for a chance to nick the ball off him for a goal scoring chance.

But do remember that you need to have offensive players that have okay marking and tackling ratings to pull it off.

Also, I tend to find that players tend to tire easily with whole pitch pressing and I tend only to use it until I score the first goal then switch it back to own half.
    Chelsea FC
    SEASON 3 -- LEVEL 3: DOUBLE
    SEASON 2 -- LEVEL 2: **TREBLE!!!**
    SEASON 1 -- LEVEL 1: League Champion

4132 guide

Banned
    So you're Level 4 and you think you already discovered how the game work, am i right?
    Can you tell me your team quality please? And also, did you find any proof that confirm what you are saying?
    Last edited by CarlTaut; 09-26-2013 at 11:56 AM.
    Fazil likes this.

Proof this:

Formation and Order guide-tac.jpg

After using his guide. Not blaming him tho...its the Code of this game that is completely wrecked....

I don't trust anything anymore in this game...it seems everything is completely random.
    CarlTaut likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mischa Cali View Post
    Proof this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tac.jpg 
Views:	919 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	12932

After using his guide. Not blaming him tho...its the Code of this game that is completely wrecked....

I don't trust anything anymore in this game...it seems everything is completely random.
    apart from this game there are far too many other ****ty results. in 13 seasons i saw worst things than this result.... but a guy, after 2 and a half season come here writing guides....

Quote Originally Posted by CarlTaut View Post
    apart from this game there are far too many other ****ty results. in 13 seasons i saw worst things than this result.... but a guy, after 2 and a half season come here writing guides....
    I get what you mean. Tho i must say he has only good intentions and as he says it seems working for him.
    It obviously doesn't for me...

Btw how do you handle results like that? i get mad as hell...

Edit: what really makes me mad is not having a clue how to improve...

Banned
    I get what you mean. Tho i must say he has only good intentions and as he says it seems working for him.
    It obviously doesn't for me...

Btw how do you handle results like that? i get mad as hell...

Edit: what really makes me mad is not having a clue how to improve...
    yeah, i do not doubt he has good intentions... but when i saw him saying more than one time he never lose or draw against weaker teams i begin to think he likes to act cocky.

i cannot help you about how to improve.... i didnt discovered myself.... all i can say is that q is the most important thing. When you begin a match and your best11 q is better you have more chances to win. if you are losing sub 1 or 2 players. looks like the game calculate again your winning probability

Quote Originally Posted by CarlTaut View Post
    yeah, i do not doubt he has good intentions... but when i saw him saying more than one time he never lose or draw against weaker teams i begin to think he likes to act cocky.

i cannot help you about how to improve.... i didnt discovered myself.... all i can say is that q is the most important thing. When you begin a match and your best11 q is better you have more chances to win. if you are losing sub 1 or 2 players. looks like the game calculate again your winning probability
    ok cool. so basically i dont have to give a rats ass about formation as long as its not illegal. Always put highest q on the pitch then. Ok i'll try that now. If really q is the matchmakin factor i should win my league by far ( i got 21.x* 2nd best in my league got something around 16*).

Now dont take this serious:

The really bad matches kinda feel like there is a nordeus guy sitting on a screen and manipulating the games, having a blast at having better teams lose games they should surely win just to make the players mad that give more attention to the game ( i watch every game if i can). Now if i would work there...i know i'd enjoy that.

I've also heard from players that bought red boosters to heal their players just to get them injured in the next game for even longer...
    Now this sounds like something if mentioned above. I had similar experiences. Bought a new beast player to have him injured for 8 days after his first game. Goalkeeper got injured 3 times in a row after recovering. (and yes i made sure they had their condition up at 100% each time)

Banned
    ok cool. so basically i dont have to give a rats ass about formation as long as its not illegal. Always put highest q on the pitch then. Ok i'll try that now. If really q is the matchmakin factor i should win my league by far ( i got 21.x* 2nd best in my league got something around 16*).
    Yes, just put your best players on the field in regular not illegal formation. And be sure to avoid some players that keep getting low ratings. Check win bonuses too. that's all
    i saw many managers winning trophies playing always the same formation. a guy with 5-1(mc)2w 2 finished fourth in my last league. he had an average q team (the league was made of 13 managers same quality and a bot), his formation was unbalanced, still arrived 4th....
    as long as you have a better team you have more chances to win.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast