Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Best way to counter 3N-2-2-3 ?

Best way to counter 3N-2-2-3 ?

Hi all,

I'm facing a stronger opponent tonight (3 pts better) who uses a very offense-heavy 3N-2-2-3 formation, like this:

--- ST. ST. ST. ---
    AML --- --- --- AMR
    --- MC. --- MC. ---
    --- --- --- --- ---
    --- DC. DC. DC. ---
    --- --- GK. --- ---

I assume with a formation like that he will be attacking the flanks?

I think a 4-5-1V formation might counter this, but I don't have an AMR.

Any advice about what formation and orders I should try? My best 5-star players are midfielders (DMC/DML, MC, ML/AML, MR, AMC) while all the rest are 3 and 4 stars.

Thanks for any help!

Dreamer
    There's too much attack there. I'd put money on a 4-4-2 beating him often.

Just thinking outload:
    -----DC--DC--DC-----
    DML-----DMC-----DMR
    -----MC------MC-----
    ---------AMC--------
    ----------ST---------

Could move the DML/DMR to whatever row you feel best too (ML/MR or AML/AMR).

I honestly have no idea. Be sure to do some research and look into his match history (competition page).
    Manager of Foresters FC and Guide FC. Both teams on server '161'.

Wondering if I took the time to type out that fancy formation? Nah, check out my python script!

Famous
    [QUOTE=Cody Allan Taylor;254998]There's too much attack there. I'd put money on a 4-4-2 beating him often.

I agree with this, 4-4-2 classic should be effective. Defensive mentality, passing down the flanks, hard tackling, mixed passing, zonal marking, counter attack on, no offsides trap. ML/MR are a must to expose his lack of a flank and considering yours are 5 stars, they should mess your opponent up. Red arrows on DL/DR and ML/MR. Blue arrows on both MC's.

If keeping the DMC and AMC on the pitch are a must. You could try a 4-1-2-1-2 Wide Diamond, i'm not sure what the proper orders are here. My guess would be normal mentality, down the flanks, hard tackling, zonal, mixed, counters on, no offside. Red arrows on DL/DR, DMC, ML/MR and AMC. You'd basically have two midfielders left unguarded on the flanks whipping balls into 2 Strikers, 3 if counting a motivated AMC (terrifying)!!!
    Last edited by pcmacdaniel; 06-04-2014 at 03:13 AM. Reason: spelling

Thanks pcmac & Cody. Good advice.

The match just ended. It turns out I don't have the best personnel for a classic 4-4-2 since my AMC and DMCs are two of my best players, so I went with a 4-1-3-1-1 like this, and ended up with a 1:1 draw.

--- --- ST. --- ---
    --- --- AMC --- ---
    ML^ --- MC. --- MR^
    --- --- DMCv--- ---
    DL. DC. --- DC. DR.
    --- --- GK. --- ---

(^ is an up arrow and v is a down arrow)

The defense held him scoreless until the 80th minute, but in spite of a good possession advantage (65-35) my offense was a little weak and could only get one goal against his three 6-star defenders. He must have been hard-tackling too, since he got a few yellow cards.

Maybe I should find a good AMR before the rematch so I can score better from the flanks? I tried moving my ML/AML up to the AML position in the second half, but it didn't help (and then that player rated a 6, low for him).

Famous
    Good luck during the second leg.

I don't think adding the AMR will make much of a difference since I believe a MR (red arrow) attacks from the AMR spot and it'll be very difficult for you to get both the MR and AMR on the pitch together. How good are your strikers? Also, although a player is trained to play multiple positions, ive read several threads on here stating they play better in certain formations in certain positions on the pitch.
    Last edited by pcmacdaniel; 06-04-2014 at 05:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pcmacdaniel View Post
    I don't think adding the AMR will make much of a difference since I believe a MR (red arrow) attacks from the AMR spot and it'll be very difficult for you to get both the MR and AMR on the pitch together. How good are your strikers?
    My AMC isn't bad (32, 5-star) but my striker could be stronger (24, 3-star). ML, MC, and MR are strong (32, 34, and 33). Maybe a new striker is in order!
    Last edited by aces88; 06-04-2014 at 05:36 AM.

Dreamer
    --- --- ST. --- ---
    --- --- AMC --- ---
    ML^ --- MC. --- MR^
    --- --- DMCv--- ---
    DL. DC. --- DC. DR.
    --- --- GK. --- ---
    My previous two seasons, I ran a 4-4D-2 by default, using only a red forward arrow on the DMC. My second formation was the 4-5V-1 using a blue defensive arrow on the DMC and red forward arrows on the DL/DR. My point is, it sounds like the formation and tactics are right with your current squad, just change the arrows

Wondering if I took the time to type out that fancy formation? Nah, check out my python script!

Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody Allan Taylor View Post
    My previous two seasons, I ran a 4-4D-2 by default, using only a red forward arrow on the DMC. My second formation was the 4-5V-1 using a blue defensive arrow on the DMC and red forward arrows on the DL/DR. My point is, it sounds like the formation and tactics are right with your current squad, just change the arrows
    4-4D-2? That's the strangest 4-4-2 I've ever heard of - from what I can gather, I assume you mean either 4-1-3W-1-1 or 4-1-3W-2?
    FC Bristbury
    Season 5, Level 5
    League Winners Levels: 1, 2, 3 & 4
    Champions League Winners Levels 2 & 3
    Double X 2 (League and Champions League), Levels: 2 & 3

Murray to win Wimbledon!

Dreamer
    Something else you can try is not running your center players in a strait line:

DL---DC--DC---DR
    ----DMC----------
    ML-------MC---MR
    -------AMC-------
    ----ST-----------

Believe it or not, there is no penalty for doing that, and can help your team "breathe".

Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by John Naish View Post
    4-4D-2? That's the strangest 4-4-2 I've ever heard of - from what I can gather, I assume you mean either 4-1-3W-1-1 or 4-1-3W-2?
    D means Diamond. DMC, ML-MR, AMC.
    John Naish likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast