Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: you say tomato lol

Wink you say tomato lol

As most of you know I'm American right ?? and when I say soccer most in the UK reply soccer/football lol You all know we have our own game of football ( I agree very badly named , coz we dont do much kicking right ) ? but it's huge over here !

Anyway I wonder why they do that ?? you all know what I mean, and I know what you mean . It's as though I said something really bad lol but wait !! Hang on !!!

since Sky Sports started in the uk don't you watch soccer AM ( a very funny program btw) then after that soccer saturday with Jeff Stelling and wait whats the Monday or midweek game called on Sky ?? yes Soccer special !!! lol

So I'm sorry if I offend anyone by saying soccer lol but it seems a very popular thing on UK tv too .

This may get moved too off topic I just don't want to offend anyone LOL

JUst saying !!!!

English Forum Moderator Cat Harrison's Avatar
    Soccer, Fußball, Football, Futbol... is all the beautiful game. A rose by any other name!

p.s. yea I think I will move to offtopic, but then I think maybe it should go in "Football Discussion">?! Huh.
    Expressed above is my own opinion. Your results may vary.
    ▬ ▬ ▬▬ ▬ ▬▬ ▬ >BvB
    < ▬ ▬▬ ▬ ▬▬ ▬ ▬
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Or soccer discussion right ???? lol

omg now I'm doing it lol

Who cares??? Names owe me nothing.... Love playing the game, love watching it, a very beautiful game... No matter what u call it
    Gery Tryenasya likes this.

Should Kaka' have been selected for Brazil's WC squad?
    Tell us ur opinion-

http://forum.topeleven.com/football-...-new-post.html

P.S.S The person in my avatar is NOT me! He is the God of Cricket, Sachin Tendulkar.

It's actually called Association Football
    *Retired From Top Eleven*

But coming from England July you do know what I mean by saying soccer right ???? I believe it comes from the word association ! I dont want to offend anyone but once or twice it has happened when I'm corrected !!!

and please tell me i'm right about Sky Sports I listen to soccer Sat Radio ( thats what it's called ) with Jeff stelling every Sat morning here afternoon there !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Meow Odom View Post
    But coming from England July you do know what I mean by saying soccer right ???? I believe it comes from the word association ! I dont want to offend anyone but once or twice it has happened when I'm corrected !!!

and please tell me i'm right about Sky Sports I listen to soccer Sat Radio ( thats what it's called ) with Jeff stelling every Sat morning here afternoon there !!!
    Yes, all thats correct... The TV shows here in England are Soccer AM and Soccer Saturday.

Soccer AM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Soccer Saturday - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No idea why they were called "Soccer" as opposed to Football when we are in Britain. Maybe sponsorship reasons or perhaps a better sounding name than just calling them "Football AM" and "Football Saturday".
    *Retired From Top Eleven*

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Meow Odom View Post
    As most of you know I'm American right ?? and when I say soccer most in the UK reply soccer/football lol You all know we have our own game of football ( I agree very badly named , coz we dont do much kicking right ) ? but it's huge over here !

Anyway I wonder why they do that ?? you all know what I mean, and I know what you mean . It's as though I said something really bad lol but wait !! Hang on !!!

since Sky Sports started in the uk don't you watch soccer AM ( a very funny program btw) then after that soccer saturday with Jeff Stelling and wait whats the Monday or midweek game called on Sky ?? yes Soccer special !!! lol

So I'm sorry if I offend anyone by saying soccer lol but it seems a very popular thing on UK tv too .

This may get moved too off topic I just don't want to offend anyone LOL

JUst saying !!!!
    you mean the rest of the world (side from USA) not only UK?
    my team @ http://forum.topeleven.com/team-show...ears-fc-2.html
    League : winner (S1, S2, S3, S6, S7) , runner up (S4*, S5*) * was in holiday away
    CL: Winner (S4, S7), runner up (S2, S3, S5, S6)
    Cup: Winner (S3)

Dreamer
    It's called soccer in the USA, Canada, Australia, Ireland, New Zealand (each of those countries have their own sports that get the tag "football") - in fact there are far more native English speakers in the world who call it "soccer" than use "football"

In addition, the word "soccer" was coined in England as abbreviation of "asSOCiation football", as a way of differentiating it from other codes of football (rugby, gaelic, etc), and I read an article a year or 2 back that said the term "soccer" gradually fell out of fashion in the '70s/early 80s. Seeing as that decline loosely coincided with the rise of football hooliganism in England I leave the term "football" to the yobs and cheerfully call it soccer <whistle>

Of course I'm from New Zealand, a country where rugby is more national religion than national sport, and where soccer is played by those whose Mums won't let them play a proper sport
    Cat Harrison likes this.

Rookie
    Secondly, and more to Mo Meow's point I think, if you call soccer football here in the US, you sound like a pretentious @$$. So even though I watch all types of the game, and occasionally call it both, I always feel out of place no matter where I am. I call it soccer, but my Euro snob stateside friends even correct me, "It's footbll!"

So, I got your drift.
    Cat Harrison likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast