Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Sports

English Forum Moderator Cat Harrison's Avatar

Sports

We probably have a bunch of football fans here, so many would think of that first!
    That's not what this thread is about, though we have a section for that too: Football Discussion

What OTHER sports do you like? To play or to spectate?

Last edited by PricopGeorgeCătălin; 09-20-2014 at 10:25 AM.

Where I grew up (St. Louis, Missouri USA) had a huge influence on the sports I like. Pretty much everybody there know hows to play soccer and baseball, and I am also a fan of Ice Hockey. I am part of the generation from there that doesn't care about American Football, there was no team when I was a kid. Baseball is HUGE there, and it's not surprising considering what a great history the St. Louis Cardinals have, only the Yankees can even have a claim to be better, but since they have like twice the payroll.. and *aren't* known for being gentlemen, I'll still say the Redbirds are the BEST.

I played basketball at school, but since what is the NBA has little relation to that old school rules laden sport I learned, I cannot relate to it.

And then there is Ice Hockey. If you've never seen it, live, I totally recommend it to any footy fan. The rules are similar, really, but it is played oh so much faster. My favorite team, the St. Louis Blues, have never won Lord Stanley's Cup but I hope they will before I die...
    Expressed above is my own opinion. Your results may vary.
    ▬ ▬ ▬▬ ▬ ▬▬ ▬ >BvB
    < ▬ ▬▬ ▬ ▬▬ ▬ ▬
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here in Belgium football is the most popular sport to play, a lot of boys (and some girls) start to play then they are 5 or 6 years old. Cycling is a very popular sport in Belgium as well, but it's more recreational cycling and watching it on tv. Since Kim Clijsters and Justine Henin did so well in tennis it has also become a popular sport. Other less popular sports are basketball, volleyball and field hockey (that last one is getting more popular due to good results of our national teams).

At the age of 5 or 6 (can't remember my exact age) I started playing football for a local team until I was 9, then I switched over to tennis. After playing tennis for 5 years I changed back and played football for 5 more years. Now I'm playing a different kind of football, it's 5 vs 5 indoor with smaller goals and slightly smaller ball.

For the rest I use my bike very often to go somewhere as I don't have a car (and no driving license).

I do like tennis! I play badly, but so does my husband so that's ok. Of course as a child I wanted to be Chris Evert... didn't work out that way, but I do tune in to the bigger events, I adore the Williams sisters.

I guess I can blame American culture. I don't know how to ride a bicycle well at all but have my motorcycle license. When I was younger I did flag/corner work for motorcycle races, I *did* once take a racing class but it scared the beejezus out of me.

I have seen pro indoor soccer, it's awesome.. When MISL existed there was a pro team in St. Louis. They played on fake turf, though, and I bet a fall hurt a lot more.
    Expressed above is my own opinion. Your results may vary.
    ▬ ▬ ▬▬ ▬ ▬▬ ▬ >BvB
    < ▬ ▬▬ ▬ ▬▬ ▬ ▬
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I wasn't that good either and I quit playing because I was a bit too much like McEnroe. I'm absolutely NO fan of the Williams sisters (especially not Serena). I was a big Clijsters fan, now I support David Goffin (young Belgian) and other Belgians.

It might be a culture shock for you if you would visit a Belgian city, a lot of people ride on bicycles because it's the fastest transportation.

The indoor football I play is a more local type of indoor football, even in Belgium there will be plenty of people who don't know it.
    Cat Harrison likes this.

Banned
    1) Cricket
    2) Table Tennis
    3) Hand Ball
    4) Kho-Kho
    5) Kabbadi
    6) Volleyball

In total all the games that I have played while growing up......
    Cat Harrison likes this.

I've never heard of Kho-Kho or Kabbadi, what type of sport is it?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Panzani View Post
    I've never heard of Kho-Kho or Kabbadi, what type of sport is it?
    Hahaha...LoL...Google them...These are Indian Sports which every Indian kid would have definitely played......

Plus I also like Gilli Danda, Sport Kite...
    Last edited by Siddharth Shanker Singh; 09-14-2014 at 05:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Siddharth Shanker Singh View Post
    Hahaha...LoL...Google them...These are Indian Sports whom every Indian kid would have definitely played......

Plus I also like Gilli Danda, Sport Kite...
    They look like sports I used to play on the playground as a little kid, not really a sport here though

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Panzani View Post
    They look like sports I used to play on the playground as a little kid, not really a sport here though
    LoL...Kabbadi and Kho Kho requires so much Stamina and Strength that no other sports require......

Especially Kabbadi requires a lot of physical strength and agility...
    Arion likes this.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast