Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: What is an assist?

if im not mistaken theres a time limit on assists. im going with some 10 second rule or something
    sure i dont play professional football, but i do play for fun, and have played in turnies here and there
    take my posts with a sack of salt
    Click here to buy your sack of salt! Buy one get a ***load!, free! Free shipping and handling on and off planet!

i am the fonz | je suis le fonz | saya adalah sang fonz
    fluent with these languages and can understand 3 more
    Click here to learn a new language, absolutely free!

The inbeatable, indefeated, unvincible duet - Goonskies - Rags to Riches!
    kudos to cat

This isn't ice hockey.. Only there is a maximum of one assist.. Especially in this game. I have never heard of any ten second rule thing :/
    LIONS FC

Level 10, Season 10

S1- L: 2nd, Cup: 3rd
    S2- L: 2nd, Cup: 3rd, CL: 3rd
    S3- L: 4th, Cup: 2nd round, CL: R16
    S4- L: 1st, Cup: Quarter finals, CL: Quarter finals
    S5- L: 2nd, Cup: Playoffs, CL: Quarter finals
    S6- L: 3rd, Cup: Quarter finals, CL: Quarter finals.
    S7- L: 1st, Cup: Winners, CL: 3rd
    S8- L: 1st, Cup: Runners up, CL: Winners
    S9- L: 1st, Cup: Runners up, CL: R16

alright, ill just make a random example
    what if the keeper throws it to the LB (that should count as a pass), LB jizzes pass everyone and scores (lets say it took 30 seconds). does the keeper get an assist?
    RL example, i didnt watch the game so enlighten me. a keeper threw it to ronaldinho. ronaldinho jiizzes pass people and shoots from outside the box (that took around 10 seconds right?). did the keeper get an assist?
    Click here to buy your sack of salt! Buy one get a ***load!, free! Free shipping and handling on and off planet!

kudos to cat

Quote Originally Posted by littledude072 View Post
    what if the keeper throws it to the LB (that should count as a pass), LB jizzes pass everyone and scores (lets say it took 30 seconds). does the keeper get an assist?
    RL example, i didnt watch the game so enlighten me. a keeper threw it to ronaldinho. ronaldinho jiizzes pass people and shoots from outside the box (that took around 10 seconds right?). did the keeper get an assist?
    In this situation, you need to consider the 2nd condition:

2. In addition, also the last but two holder of the ball could get an assist provided that his action had decisive importance for the goal

Technically he should get the assist because he set up the goal. It doesn't matter how far the ball travelled, if the keeper made the pass that directly lead to the goal then it is classed as an assist. GKs have gotten assists before for long throws where the receiving player ended up scoring.

Season 15 - Level 15

League Winners (14) - Levels 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
    26-0-0 league (4) - Levels 3, 4, 7 & 8
    Undefeated in league (11) - Levels 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14
    Cup winners (2) - Level 1 & 14
    Cup 3rd place (1) - Level 12
    Champions League Winners (10) - Levels 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
    Champions League Runners up(1) - Level 9

>My team<

Dreamer
    NO and NO

Quote Originally Posted by dv8r View Post
    Technically he should get the assist because he set up the goal. It doesn't matter how far the ball travelled, if the keeper made the pass that directly lead to the goal then it is classed as an assist. GKs have gotten assists before for long throws where the receiving player ended up scoring.

I think it does matter how the ball travels. If the GK make a long kick and somehow the ball comes to whoever in a dangerous position to the opponent, creating a clear opportunity to score, then the GK shall be awarded an assist. However, it he just make a normal short pass to one of the defender who just run from the team's own half, pass every single player of the rival and score, it would be considered as solo by him.

you contradicted yourself huliano. you replied to my post saying they should get assists, then you replied to dv8r saying they shouldnt. my example of the LB was just that, a short pass, LB takes it all over the park to score

thats why im confused. in my eyes both should be considered as assist regardless of distance/time it took to score

i ask because many matches often dont consider them as assists, especially during quick counters where the receiver runs over halfway to score
    there are also times when a keeper blocks the shot, falls to another player and scores, but it wasnt counted as an assist. that counts as a rebound right, or does it have to be off the bar?

kudos to cat

you contradicted yourself huliano. you replied to my post saying they should get assists, then you replied to dv8r saying they shouldnt. my example of the LB was just that, a short pass, LB takes it all over the park to score

thats why im confused. in my eyes both should be considered as assist regardless of distance/time it took to score

i ask because many matches often dont consider them as assists, especially during quick counters where the receiver runs over halfway to score
    there are also times when a keeper blocks the shot, falls to another player and scores, but it wasnt counted as an assist. that counts as a rebound right, or does it have to be off the bar?
    In the Premier League, if Player A shoots and the shot is saved but Player B scores from the follow up then Player A gets the assist.

In this case we are talking about a player who receives a long ball, indicating that it's somewhere near the middle of the pitch. Because how can a long ball be played to your own penalty area? So this player gets the ball and scores with it, it may be classed as a solo go but he did not create it himself. The player who played the long ball to him should get the assist.

Season 15 - Level 15

League Winners (14) - Levels 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
    26-0-0 league (4) - Levels 3, 4, 7 & 8
    Undefeated in league (11) - Levels 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14
    Cup winners (2) - Level 1 & 14
    Cup 3rd place (1) - Level 12
    Champions League Winners (10) - Levels 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
    Champions League Runners up(1) - Level 9

>My team<

I did not say they would get assists ... Do you see the capitalized phrase DECISIVE IMPORTANCE? If it's just a normal pass to your LB and he runs by himself to score, then it is not considered a decisively important pass because your LB is the one that actually does all the work of dribbling and scoring.

In another reply, I said that if it is a long kick from GK and the goal comes to any of our players in dangerous, exploitable, and advantageous position making it easier to create an opportunity to score, then the GK would be likely awarded an assist.

Anw, it is all up to the judgement of the ref on whether or not that pass is decisively important.
    Last edited by HULIANO; 11-21-2013 at 12:30 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast