Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Crushed by an assymetric formation!

In this case we are talking about a lone AMR wreaking havoc from the wing. The question is: is it necessary (or even a good idea) to counter an asymmetric formation with an asymmetric formation or is sufficient to switch to man-to-man and let the players sort it out? Also, in the absence of a DML, is it best to

- shift the DMC to the left DMC slot (i.e., will he really gravitate to the left flank)
    - play DL as DML
    - keep a regular/preferred/symmetric formation and hope to outscore the opponent?

P.S. I initially listed playing DMC as DML as an option, but that results in a red warning sign. Nor can an ML play DML. Only DL can play DML with a yellow warning.
    Last edited by ponzu; 02-16-2016 at 07:37 AM.
    Team Orange Roughies | Last season league winners, Cup and CL finalists | Season 11 | Level 11

TREBLE wins: 1
    League: 7
    Cup: 2
    Champions League: 2

Quote Originally Posted by ponzu View Post
    In this case we are talking about a lone AMR wreaking havoc from the wing. The question is: is it necessary (or even a good idea) to counter an asymmetric formation with an asymmetric formation or is sufficient to switch to man-to-man and let the players sort it out? Also, in the absence of a DML, is it best to

- shift the DMC to the left DMC slot (i.e., will he really gravitate to the left flank)
    - play DL as DML
    - keep a regular/preferred/symmetric formation and hope to outscore the opponent?

P.S. I initially listed playing DMC as DML as an option, but that results in a red warning sign. Nor can an ML play DML. Only DL can play DML with a yellow warning.
    Wingers are better marked with fullbacks(DL/R). The wingback (DML/R) does everything but good defending. It's usually employed when you have a 3 DC defence, to give a depth to the wings.

Try a 4-3n-1-2, pass through middle and short and man mark. With a 3 man wide defence, the wingers can be stopped by fullbacks; 1 DC can't stop 2ST and AMC. And give the posession bonus in game. Red arrow on rightback, there's no left midfielder of the opponent.
    Last edited by Arion; 02-16-2016 at 08:22 AM.
    nikolgiorgos likes this.
    AH AH — manager of Atlético Kolkata. Named in honour of my hometown club, Atlético de Kolkata, which won the inaugural edition of Indian Super League in 2014.

A good defence is the best offense.

Thanks. You and HoofDaddy should talk sometime.
    Arion likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Arion View Post
    Try a 4-3n-1-2, pass through middle and short and man mark. With a 3 man wide defence, the wingers can be stopped by fullbacks; 1 DC can't stop 2ST and AMC. And give the posession bonus in game. Red arrow on rightback, there's no left midfielder of the opponent.
    0:0

There had been a four-way tie for 2nd in the league, and all others won, so I am down to 5th -- as is my asymmetric rival. It's okay, the season is young.

The good news is his AMR was a lowly 6.6 and my DC was MOM wih 9.4. So I learned to solve the defensive challenges, I guess.

My STs are underperforming lately (they did again today) and I was reluctant to form up as you suggested. All my goals come from ML/AML and MR/AMR. I initially formed up 4-3N-2W-1 Then I decided that your formation and orders were meant to attack the opponent's weakness rather than play my strengths (of which, as HoofDaddy would say, you don't know as much as I do.) So I went with your suggestion. After the scoreless jalf the opponent completely changed his formation around, apparently he thought he was being robbed. He was enjoying a 7% possession bonus from fans, I was playing with 15% training bonus for possession as you suggested. I tried to keep up with his changes, switched bonus to attack, mentality to attacking, swapped out one underperforming (6.2) ST for an AMR, but probably too little too late.

Thanks for the help. I will count this as a win because I learned that man-to-man really works. I had only used it once before and lost badly, so I wrote it off as a bad idea.
    nikolgiorgos and Arion like this.
    Team Orange Roughies | Last season league winners, Cup and CL finalists | Season 11 | Level 11

0:0

There had been a four-way tie for 2nd in the league, and all others won, so I am down to 5th -- as is my asymmetric rival. It's okay, the season is young.

The good news is his AMR was a lowly 6.6 and my DC was MOM wih 9.4. So I learned to solve the defensive challenges, I guess.

My STs are underperforming lately (they did again today) and I was reluctant to form up as you suggested. All my goals come from ML/AML and MR/AMR. I initially formed up 4-3N-2W-1 Then I decided that your formation and orders were meant to attack the opponent's weakness rather than play my strengths (of which, as HoofDaddy would say, you don't know as much as I do. After scoreless the opponent completely changed his formation around, apparently he thought he was being robbed. He was enjoying a 7% possession bonus from fans, I was playing with 15% training bonus for possession as you suggested. I tried to keep up with his changes, switched bonus to attack, mentality to attacking, swapped out one underperforming (6.2) ST for an AMR, but probably too little too late.

Thanks for the help. I will count this as a win because I learned that man-to-man really works. I had only used it once before and lost badly, so I wrote it off as a bad idea.
    It was an expected result, since you don't have wingers. It's interesting that we have used the same formation in the past (4-5-1v) and are using the same formation at present (4-3-2-1 ). But then he could easily man mark the wide attack.
    Anyway best of luck and use the lower level monetary bonuses, since now in match bonuses have more impact.
    I'd suggest use the attacking bonus early. When you're 2 goals up don't use defensive, rather possession since it's better to lose the ball 55m away from your goal than 30m. It has worked for me well, with same formation.

I too had doubts suggesting 2 STs. But I'm a guy who'll attack the opponent's weaknesses than play to my strengths.
    Last edited by Arion; 02-16-2016 at 06:01 PM.
    AH AH — manager of Atlético Kolkata. Named in honour of my hometown club, Atlético de Kolkata, which won the inaugural edition of Indian Super League in 2014.

grats, you didn't lose
    Renamed to Bolton Wanderers Season 27.
    League Winners: 3,5,8,16,21,24,26,30,31,40
    Cup Winners: Seasons 10,25,28,35,40
    CL Winners: Seasons 19,23.37,
    Nivea winners; Season 30,41
    The Hoof is the Proof.

Thanks. I had Q on him, so I had hopes and aspirations. Then again he was playing at home and had support. He was on a roll and I stopped him. I'll take the point.

Better than the points is the learning.

Greek Forum Moderator nikolgiorgos's Avatar
    Wingers are better marked with fullbacks(DL/R). The wingback (DML/R) does everything but good defending. It's usually employed when you have a 3 DC defence, to give a depth to the wings.
    never used DML,R
    Better wing backs wit blue arrows
    Arion likes this.
    Καλώς ήρθατε στο Ελληνικό φόρουμ
    http://forum.topeleven.com/%CE%93%CE...%B4%CE%B1.html

Quote Originally Posted by nikolgiorgos View Post
    never used DML,R
    Better wing backs wit blue arrows
    Wingbacks (at least according to Ario) are DML, R. Did you mean fullbacks?

Also, the color arrows are gone (personally, I never saw them anyway, but tried to keep up. Blue meant down or back, right? Red means up or forward, if I am not mistaken.

So are you suggesting defending an AMR with DL with a down arrow?

Wingbacks (at least according to Ario) are DML, R. Did you mean fullbacks?

Also, the color arrows are gone (personally, I never saw them anyway, but tried to keep up. Blue meant down or back, right? Red means up or forward, if I am not mistaken.

So are you suggesting defending an AMR with DL with a down arrow?
    I guess Nik meant DL/R. Even though the game calls them left/right defender now, in football terminology, those players are together called fullbacks. The game refers DML/R not as left/right defensive midfielders, but left/right wingbacks. A wingback is a dropped down wing midfielder (ML/R). The game refers the AML/R as left/right attacking midfielder. They're also called such in football terminology, but more frequently wingers.
    Previously TE referred the defenders as left/centre/right back, now they just call him L/C/R defender.

Coming back to the topic, I've always used red arrows on DL/R, and they too come back to defend, and sometimes get an assist or even a goal, while the striker's busy signing autographs to kids
    Awe Imoleayo Peter likes this.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast