Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Passing with focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Abhinavsharma View Post
    Short passes is bad for down the flanks.
    Well, I hate to be scored against through counter attacks, so I had play short pass no matter what. I occasionally change to mixed though. But I rarely use long pass.

Greek Forum Moderator nikolgiorgos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Awe Imoleayo Peter View Post
    Is there a reason you don't use short or just preference?
    usually short pass is more to tiki-taka football, meaning less chances for shots (than mix or long pass).
    but my attackers usually are better (in q and form) than oppo defenders so I prefer to create more "battles" and chances.
    All above in theory of course

Attacking counter attacks works with short pass??
    attacking with counter attack maybe has some logic (as emergency action if loosing), but short pass ? I don't think so.
    Awe Imoleayo Peter likes this.
    Καλώς ήρθατε στο Ελληνικό φόρουμ
    http://forum.topeleven.com/%CE%93%CE...%B4%CE%B1.html

Short passes is bad for down the flanks.
    ...and your reasoning for this is?
    Any formation or tactics advice given is based purely on experience with my teams...

My wide men are more efficient infront of goal than any central 3 DMC, MC, AMC and I use short passing for 98% of my games.

Correct me as I go along, Abhinavsharma but you are saying short passing down a flank doesn't work because players usually run down flanks, right? But you're trying to predict the programming of a Facebook game using your knowledge of the real life game but even then your theory is flawed.

I'll break it down.
    In real life, a manager saying play short passes (to feet) in the middle and long passes (run onto ball) doesn't set the tempo. A real life player wouldn't refuse to play someone in for a one on one because he is not allowed to pass the ball infront of the player.

For example take Manchester United under LVG. He plays possession football but doesn't restrict to short passes. In fact you'll see his players play wide, long passes from side to side to frustrate the opposition and shake teams out of parking a bus. Obviously this doesn't always work because it's BPL. Teams don't care, they'll sit there forever until you try to take them on.

Now if you were to emulate those tactics to this game. Your orders would be between defend, own half and long passing or normal, whole pitch and long passing.

If you wanted to create those passes where players dart onto the ball down the wing to take on their man it would be something like attacking, flanks, short/mixed/long pass + counter attack but remember the focus of passing is to decide how much you want to risk the ball to play more open. To cut time on building up attacks. This is risky, you can spend let's say 7 minutes of match time to build an attack without losing the ball. If you are losing 1-0 and there is only 15 minutes left, you'll most likely get 2 chances. At this point having possession doesn't do you much good if you're losing 1-0 what's another goal? 2-0 so you would change to mixed or long and depending on mentality you would build up attacks either get an opportunity or lose the ball and start over again.

Real life football is flexible but it's a game.So it is also flexible? Short passes means few long passes also?
    Bannedlike(forced)//for just posting guides and winning 1 league in 21 seasons without knowing reason..

The setting of short passing doesn't preclude the odd long pass being made by the players on the pitch, going by the match highlights. I play most matches on short passing/no counter and there are a number of occasions when an opposition attack has been thwarted and the defender has just hacked it upfield for the forward player to latch onto it and score...
    Arion likes this.
    Any formation or tactics advice given is based purely on experience with my teams...

Quote Originally Posted by talisman View Post
    The setting of short passing doesn't preclude the odd long pass being made by the players on the pitch, going by the match highlights. I play most matches on short passing/no counter and there are a number of occasions when an opposition attack has been thwarted and the defender has just hacked it upfield for the forward player to latch onto it and score...
    Main reason i have been using short pass. And I dread counter attacks

Quote Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
    Correct me as I go along, Abhinavsharma but you are saying short passing down a flank doesn't work because players usually run down flanks, right? But you're trying to predict the programming of a Facebook game using your knowledge of the real life game but even then your theory is flawed.

I'll break it down.
    In real life, a manager saying play short passes (to feet) in the middle and long passes (run onto ball) doesn't set the tempo. A real life player wouldn't refuse to play someone in for a one on one because he is not allowed to pass the ball infront of the player.

For example take Manchester United under LVG. He plays possession football but doesn't restrict to short passes. In fact you'll see his players play wide, long passes from side to side to frustrate the opposition and shake teams out of parking a bus. Obviously this doesn't always work because it's BPL. Teams don't care, they'll sit there forever until you try to take them on.

Now if you were to emulate those tactics to this game. Your orders would be between defend, own half and long passing or normal, whole pitch and long passing.

If you wanted to create those passes where players dart onto the ball down the wing to take on their man it would be something like attacking, flanks, short/mixed/long pass + counter attack but remember the focus of passing is to decide how much you want to risk the ball to play more open. To cut time on building up attacks. This is risky, you can spend let's say 7 minutes of match time to build an attack without losing the ball. If you are losing 1-0 and there is only 15 minutes left, you'll most likely get 2 chances. At this point having possession doesn't do you much good if you're losing 1-0 what's another goal? 2-0 so you would change to mixed or long and depending on mentality you would build up attacks either get an opportunity or lose the ball and start over again.
    Share your views.Choose one formation and.... THANKS
    Bannedlike(forced)//for just posting guides and winning 1 league in 21 seasons without knowing reason..

Rookie
    Please participate and share your experience and views.
    Thanks,
    Special thanks-Nik.
    I'd like to deviate and offer my formation that is not on the list - 4-2n-3w-1. I always use attacking mentality, high pressing, no counter, offsides on. I typically attack the flanks with long passing. When I do, I draw back most of my central players to protect against counters and push forward on the wings like this:

Passing with focus.-image1.jpg

If I luck out and an opponent has a glaring weakness (like my last cup match, a one star defender at right back was filling in for his usual starter that was suspended), then I'll attack a particular flank but that is very rare.

When I'm playing wider formations, like a wide diamond or even a 4-4-2, I'll attack the middle with short passes, push my central players forward, hold back a defender, but still push the edges with my attackers like this:

Passing with focus.-image2.jpg

Regardless of how I attack, my run of play goals are evenly distributed across my AM's and my ST scores all of his goals from free kicks or from hammering home a corner. When I attack the flanks, I use long passes and when I attack the middle I use short passes. The only time I'll go mixed and mixed is when I'm trying to feel out my opponent in the first 15 minutes if I'm unsure at the start. After seeing one or two live action sequences, I can pretty quickly tell how my opponent is playing and then I'll shift my formation to attack their weakness.

Hope that helps!
    Abhinavsharma likes this.
    Breached Protocol - look hard enough and you'll find one, somewhere, everywhere
    Season: 17. Level: 16.
    Competitions won: 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16. Runner-up: 4
    Champions League won: 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 13, 14, 16. Third: 15
    Cups won: 2 [Level 3], 4 [L6], 10 [L13], 14 [L17], 16[L19]. Runner-up: 7 [L9], 11 [L14], 15[L18]. Third: 6 [L8].
    TRIPLE CROWNS: 14, 16

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast