Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: What is your favorite method of countering the classic 4-4-2 w/ short passing?

Rookie

What is your favorite method of countering the classic 4-4-2 w/ short passing?

Hi all,

I'm 15 seasons in and like to think that i'm fairly experienced with seeing different formations/tactics and finding a way to deal with them.

However through multiple seasons I've found that I struggle against the classic 4-4-2 formation. Initially i had great success using the Butterfly(3n-2-2-2w-1), only to discover that it SUCKS against 4-4-2 if they use short passes. I've also tried my favored 4-5-1 V formation and also found that defensively it is very poor against 4-4-2. Shifting to a more defensive mentality using these formations makes things even worse.

What do people like to use when up against this? Thanks!

Apprentice
    Try
    4-1DMC (UP)-2nMC-2wAML/AMR-1

Sent from my SM-J110H using Tapatalk
    nitiznath likes this.

4141 if he is stronger or 442 if he is weaker than you 😉

Sent from my LG-K500n using Tapatalk

A.C. MILAN LEGENDS-Team Showcase
    http://forum.topeleven.com/team-show...n-legends.html
    Season 45,lvl 43(24 trebles)
    GAME OVER

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by REDEEMER130 View Post
    Try
    4-1DMC (UP)-2nMC-2wAML/AMR-1
    So that just sounds like 4-5-1 V formation with the DMC more attacking. How does that help me with defending against 4-4-2? I already know from experience that 4-5-1 V doesn't work well against it.

Quote Originally Posted by madflo19
    4141 if he is stronger or 442 if he is weaker than you
    What sort of tactics would you recommend against 4-4-2 if you were running 4-1-4-1? I've had decent success with 4-1-4-1 in general on normal but not when using more defensive mentality.

Famous
    4-4-2 is the most balanced formation in top eleven. That being the case, there are many different order/arrow combinations that can be used. With that being the case, I recommend looking at your opponent's stats to develop an idea about what his orders and/or arrows are. Sometimes you can get lucky and their will be a tell, telegraphing the oppositions gameplan.

For example, if their ML and MR don't score many goals, but their MC's do score a bunch, your opponent is probably passing through the middle and/or has up arrows on the MC's. If your opponent is focusing on attacking the middle, I'd recommend going with a 4-1-2-1-2 ND, since you'll have more bodies in the central midfield, so your opponent won't be able to attack and defend the central midfield at the same time, so the 4-1-2-1-2 ND should overrun the middle, especially if the MC's in the 4-4-2 are motivated.
    Nick Lizas likes this.
    Level 40 Manager

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by pcmacdaniel View Post
    4-4-2 is the most balanced formation in top eleven. That being the case, there are many different order/arrow combinations that can be used. With that being the case, I recommend looking at your opponent's stats to develop an idea about what his orders and/or arrows are. Sometimes you can get lucky and their will be a tell, telegraphing the oppositions gameplan.

For example, if their ML and MR don't score many goals, but their MC's do score a bunch, your opponent is probably passing through the middle and/or has up arrows on the MC's. If your opponent is focusing on attacking the middle, I'd recommend going with a 4-1-2-1-2 ND, since you'll have more bodies in the central midfield, so your opponent won't be able to attack and defend the central midfield at the same time, so the 4-1-2-1-2 ND should overrun the middle, especially if the MC's in the 4-4-2 are motivated.
    Cool. I don't really have a good AMC right now so the narrow diamond is a bit hard, but I can try something similar for narrow attacks.

What do you recommend if they attack wide?

Injuring the Gk.

Greek Forum Moderator nikolgiorgos's Avatar
    There are maybe 10 formations to play vs 4-4-2 but you can loose with every one of them.
    4-4-2 doesn't have a "real" counter.
    Just needs to watch the game and a good coaching.
    Καλώς ήρθατε στο Ελληνικό φόρουμ
    http://forum.topeleven.com/%CE%93%CE...%B4%CE%B1.html

Famous
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Lam View Post
    Cool. I don't really have a good AMC right now so the narrow diamond is a bit hard, but I can try something similar for narrow attacks.

What do you recommend if they attack wide?
    As Nik mentioned, there are several different options for playing against 4-4-2. It's not a guaranteed win, but you should have a slight advantage.

if you're stronger, mirroring isn't a bad idea as madflo suggested above. Since if your both playing the same tactic, he has no advantage.

Personally, I like the Christmas Tree (4-3w-2n-1) or 4-3w-1-2 when the opponent is passing down the flanks. Since he isn't trying to attack my middle, one MC (down arrow) should work fine. A DMC instead of MC, should do the trick as well.
    Level 40 Manager

Greek Forum Moderator nikolgiorgos's Avatar
    I think it's better for someone to use a formation where his teams performs better (let the players decide - lol), instead of using something that never played before in any game.
    After that, make the right moves during the match
    Καλώς ήρθατε στο Ελληνικό φόρουμ
    http://forum.topeleven.com/%CE%93%CE...%B4%CE%B1.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast