Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: What is your favorite method of countering the classic 4-4-2 w/ short passing?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Lam View Post
    Hi all,

I'm 15 seasons in and like to think that i'm fairly experienced with seeing different formations/tactics and finding a way to deal with them.

However through multiple seasons I've found that I struggle against the classic 4-4-2 formation. Initially i had great success using the Butterfly(3n-2-2-2w-1), only to discover that it SUCKS against 4-4-2 if they use short passes. I've also tried my favored 4-5-1 V formation and also found that defensively it is very poor against 4-4-2. Shifting to a more defensive mentality using these formations makes things even worse.

What do people like to use when up against this? Thanks!
    well this working for me good but you always against 4-4-2 you have to watch the game
    orders normal
    middle
    short
    counter on
    press high
    zone
    offcide off
    What is your favorite method of countering the classic 4-4-2 w/ short passing?-screenshot_137.jpg

Just play your best team. Make changes during the match. It is good to have players with mulltiple positions. This is how I start match:
    What is your favorite method of countering the classic 4-4-2 w/ short passing?-taktika.jpg
    If the opponent is to much stronger then you should play 4-1-4-1 with counter attacks.
    Specs are also important
    What is your favorite method of countering the classic 4-4-2 w/ short passing?-tim.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Lizas View Post
    well this working for me good but you always against 4-4-2 you have to watch the game
    orders normal
    middle
    short
    counter on
    press high
    zone
    offcide off
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_137.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	72797
    This is what I use as well. Only difference is low press. I'll make minor mentality changes as well based on quality of opponent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    Nick Lizas likes this.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Lam View Post
    So that just sounds like 4-5-1 V formation with the DMC more attacking. How does that help me with defending against 4-4-2? I already know from experience that 4-5-1 V doesn't work well against it.

What sort of tactics would you recommend against 4-4-2 if you were running 4-1-4-1? I've had decent success with 4-1-4-1 in general on normal but not when using more defensive mentality.
    That's what I use and it works

Sent from my SM-J110H using Tapatalk

Rookie
    Thanks for the advice guys, the consensus seems to be that unlike a lot of other formations there isn't a hard counter. I'll start experimenting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12