Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Training and Counter-Formation Tutorial

sdw
    Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Tactician View Post
    Very good post. Clears out many misconceptions.

I'll diverse my opinion on only 2 things:

1a) DCs: I really like to have good attack on them just for the good passing, I always favor Physical- Defending skills but no more than 2 (I would never let to go to a 4 points difference though). A concept borrowed from Arsenal 2001-2004 where the 4 defenders where not defenders before they play at 1st team. And it proved wise since they're passing was more than superior. I like when teams start passing through the defense and as for now, I can say it works in Top11(+ short passing) since I have too much ball possession, more than 85% of successful passing and sometimes I get goals from my DCs. I'm still very open to criticism for this one though.

1b) DCs: When the opponent plays with 10 and I want to make use of the extra man (or when I need desperately 1 goal) and when I play with 3 at back (or 5) I use red arrow on the central DC. That's a concept I borrowed from real football tactics and I can say it worked 3 out of 4 times in Top11. If it really works and it's not just a coincidence then it will be a very very very strong counter, therefore guys, check it out, try it, it's worth the risk if it really works in general. (It's also strong related with 1a)

2) DML/DMR: Against AMR/AML in some cases I use 2DML/DMR + DMC. Last 2 seasons I play with no fullbacks. When I wanted to defend against AML/AMR I played a 3-6-1. 3DCs+ DML,DMC,DMR+ 3MCs+ 1ST. It worked against much stronger opponent in 4 out of 4 games. If I remember well I had blue arrows on DML/DMR.
    In fact I think that choosing between fullbacks vs DML/DMR when countering AML/AMR is a trade off between ball possession and defending that favors the use of DML/DMR. I'm still open to any criticism for this one as well.
    Maybe it depends from the tactic.If you're trying to put red arrow of some DC,there is an option to score,but there is an option to fail.It depends from the opponent's tactic.If he plays with counter attack,only your DMC will help you in that case.DML/DMR with blue arrow...hm I never tried but I agree it helps against aml/amr.At least there is a logic.This defensive formation 3-6-1 I use very often,but instead one of this MC,I use AMC.Playing defensive with counter attack.If he doesn't have AML/AMR,I play with red arrows on my DML/DMR with mixed passes.If he has AML/AMR,I'll try your way with blue arrow to check is there really effect.Then I'll try counter-attack thru the middle.

A widely used order in real life when a team has an extra man and wants to push more, is to ask a DC to be more aggressive and to be the extra man when attacking/ counterattacking and in attacking pieces, to overload opponent's defense. That was my thought and in Top11 I thought that it can only work with the central DC (in a defense of 5 or 3) since there are no personal orders to be given (in a 4 line defense, putting red on 1 dc would create a wide-->bad defensive line with no extra personal orders). I have used it in only 4 matches since now and it worked, but statistics doesn't work with only 4 repeats. In the next 40 matches that I'll use it I will be more precise. I don't recommend in any case to put red arrows in more DCs though.
    I expect when the opponent has less players and is pushed back, to play with counterattacks therefore I'll take the risk.

An alteration of 3-6-1 I used a few times against wingers and I thought it after my post, is 4-5-1 but again, with a straight line of 3 DCs and the 2 fullbacks (or defensive wingers) as DML/DMR. The rest 5 midfielders could be a straight line of 3 MCs plus 2 AMCs.
    That's a formation that I used rarely (I think only twice in cup) and it was a necessity since I don't pay for tokens, therefore my squad has not the depth I would like to. Surprisingly(?) it worked both times against a 4-1-3AMs wide-2. I think again I used blue arrows on central MC+DML/R
    A football team is like a beautiful woman. When you do not tell her, she forgets she is beautiful

Apprentice
    Thanks

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by sdw View Post
    For first : your tactic is not good.I dont know what you mean with 3 defenders(3 DC's or DL/DC/DR) and I dont know what you mean with 3 midfielders (3 MC's or ML/MC/MR).But my suggest dont use this tactic.I used it once and it was not effective against very weak team.Against 4-1-2-2(2 amc)-1 you must have DMC and dont play with AMC.Soo... there are a lot of options.You can use ML and MR and play from the flanks,but my suggest is 4-5-1 V style formation.
    For second : this guy is playing attack from the left flank.So you must counter it with good DR.With your tactic he was beat you cuz he gained ball possession.Beat him for sure with 4-4-1-1.But put blue arrow of your MR and red arrow on your ML.Attack him from the left flank or mixed passes.It's your choice.
    3-N-1DMC-3-N 2AML/AMR-1ST.

Thanks
    Last edited by Fazil; 05-21-2013 at 03:02 PM.

Thanks sdw, so useful thread
    Can you help me how to counter 3N-1DMC-4-2?
    Thanks in advance
    Manage By Your Own Style

Find my team here >>> Der Panzer

Quote Originally Posted by sdw View Post
    4-3-2-1 is effective according to most of players,but according to me.Yes,4-3-1-2 is effective against 4-4-2 cuz you stop his flang,and you have AMC instead his absense of DMC...But this 4-3-1-2 with ML and MR... I dont have experience with 4-3N-1-2(with three MC's) against 4-4-2,but I think is not so good,cuz he will attack you from the flanks.Conclusion : you dont need DMC,you need to stop his flanks and attack him with AMC with mixed passes.It will be good with attacking thru the middle,but in this game this type attack is not so effective and it's pity.
    So, against the 4-4-2 standard, all in all, what would you advise, a 4-3n-1-2 with everybody playing in their position or a 4-3-2-1 playing with a MC or ST (the one that would be better in this case) as the 2nd AMC -because I only have one-?
    Last edited by Marchelo1988; 05-22-2013 at 12:56 AM.

Great thread, i already changed my formation to 4-5-1 V style

what you think will be V style formation effective against 4-1-1-2(AMC)-2 ?

Best formation against 3W-1-3W-3

Hi!

Which formation and tactics do you recommend against:
    DL-DC-DR
    DMC
    ML-MC-MR
    ST-ST-ST
    ?

Thanks!

Any idea on how to Beat/Counter 4-1-3w-1-1 ...
    I lost out against a Good team using that formation, I tried a 4-5-1 V style and 4-2n-3w-1 and nothing helped...Lost out on away goals rule...

How to beat 3DC-2MC-3(AML,AMC,AMR)-2ST

DC-DC-DC | MC - MC | AML - AMC - AMR | ST- ST

How can I beat opponent, who uses this formation?

If somebody help me, thanks in advance.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast