Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Counter Formations Less Effective Now?

Counter Formations Less Effective Now?

Anybody else having this problem?

I can't remember the last time 4-5-1V worked against 4-1-2-1-2 narrow diamond, despite using correct tactics, and even having a better squad.

In addition to this, 4-4-2 is trumping any of the numerous confirmed counter formations out there.

Really struggling here as literally everyone I've played this and last season has used one of either formations, it's getting boring, there's no diversity.

Now I'm not an idiot, I've got 12 league trophies, and numerous cups and CL trophies, and I know how and when to use appropriate tactics, I'm not asking for advice, just other people's experiences. I just can't seem to cut the opposition at the moment when they pull these formations.

Is it just me or have these formations been seriously buffed up over the past couple of seasons?
    Liverpool FC - Team Showcase

"You'll Never Walk Alone."

#JFT96

I don't claim to be a Top Eleven expert but, if anyone would like advice, please don't hesitate to contact me through 'private messaging', I try to reply as soon as possible.

Rookie
    You have been found out. There are better managers around at the higher levels and you are easy pickings for them.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Sxrenity View Post

Is it just me or have these formations been seriously buffed up over the past couple of seasons?
    yes, for sure very recently something changed in the match simulation
    on my side, even if I've a very high ball possession, it is very difficult to score and almost impossible with striker.
    And it is not just for me... in the scorer top ten of my leage, the first 3 places are for midfielders.
    Sxrenity likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by joshyt View Post
    You have been found out. There are better managers around at the higher levels and you are easy pickings for them.
    What, by countering formations?

How is fielding a 4-1-2-1-2 narrow diamond against my 4-5-1V making them better managers?

^ in effect, his AMC is pointless against my DMC, and he's left his flanks exposed by only fielding central players bar his full backs.
    I've effectively countered all of his attacking players, and exploited where is defence is exposed.

&, i don't see fielding a default 4-4-2, with default tactics, and 4* 28+ year old players as necessarily intelligent either, but maybe i am missing something?

It's not so much of a problem in the league, it's occurring in crucial matches in the Cup and CL where i'm literally limping through on away goals, and getting knocked out from some completely silly events, such as my GK getting injured and them putting 2 past me before my sub GK can get on.

It just seems to be harder than it should against these formations that can be, or used to, be simply countered by playing the correct formation and using appropriate orders.

The opposition isn't necessarily getting harder, bar the fact that there are no BOT teams at my level anymore, but my experience over 12 levels, and multiple accounts, is making me feel like the 4-4-2 and narrow diamond have been buffed in an update, or the 4-5-1V has been nerfed.

#JFT96

I don't claim to be a Top Eleven expert but, if anyone would like advice, please don't hesitate to contact me through 'private messaging', I try to reply as soon as possible.

Rookie
    4-1-2-1 with up arrows on the DMC and AMC smashes 4-5-1 no arrows.

This dominates possesion in the midfield and gives the CBs too much to handle. The only job your full backs will have is collecting the ball out of the back of the net.

The managers in the latter stages of CL (who know how to play) are taking advantage of those who get their football strategy from a online forum. I know this because I come up against them all time!

4-1-2-1 with up arrows on the DMC and AMC smashes 4-5-1 no arrows.

This dominates possesion in the midfield and gives the CBs too much to handle. The only job your full backs will have is collecting the ball out of the back of the net.

The managers in the latter stages of CL (who know how to play) are taking advantage of those who get their football strategy from a online forum. I know this because I come up against them all time!
    Which is why, red arrows on AMR/AML, Blue on DMC and occasionally reds on DL/DR wrecks him down the wings considering my formation is set up to counter.

I've beat the formation plenty of times, but it's getting more and more difficult for no reason, seeing as though the methods that used to be successful have been tried and tested plenty of times, by managers who've played the game for 2 years plus.

What i'm getting at is, that the reason the formations are becoming less effective, could be a result of the system tweaking formations.

I've played Sega FM for a good few years now, and played football at School & College level.

Let's be honest, the game is nowhere near as advanced as 'true' football sims, and whilst formations in real football work in those situations, they sure as hell don't here.

And where did i say i was getting all of my knowledge off here? I don't claim to be an expert, more of an armchair manager, but i do watch my football avidly, and i'm not an idiot.

Also, if being a member of the forum automatically makes us all bad managers, why are you here?

This post was made so i could confer with managers facing similar issues, which there are, considering i've seen plenty complaining of how OP the flat 4-4-2 is at the moment, not for people such as you to simply point out that the reason i am not getting the results i want is because i am a 'bad manager'.

Have you lost a game recently and come here to vent and take it out on others? There was no need to just randomly come out with a comment like that, grow up.

**** happens, LFC annihilate Arsenal 5-1, doesn't necessarily make Wenger a bad manager, City smash Chelsea 2-0, doesn't make Mourinho a bad manager.

"The managers in the latter stages of CL (who know how to play) are taking advantage of those who get their football strategy from a online forum. I know this because I come up against them all time!"

I've won the cup, and CL plenty of times by the way.

But i'm sorry, i don't know how to play joshyt, my apologies.

#JFT96

Is this you asking for football strategy from an online forum? I thought you should know how to counter this already, considering you're lecturing me?

http://forum.topeleven.com/formation...tml#post145775

#JFT96

i noticed a change too
    http://forum.topeleven.com/top-eleve...-strategy.html

all honesty, i dont believe in counter formations
    take my posts with a sack of salt
    Click here to buy your sack of salt! Buy one get a ***load!, free! Free shipping and handling on and off planet!

i am the fonz | je suis le fonz | saya adalah sang fonz
    fluent with these languages and can understand 3 more
    Click here to learn a new language, absolutely free!

The inbeatable, indefeated, unvincible duet - Goonskies - Rags to Riches!
    kudos to cat

Quote Originally Posted by littledude072 View Post
    i noticed a change too
    http://forum.topeleven.com/top-eleve...-strategy.html

all honesty, i dont believe in counter formations
    Yeah i'm starting to lean that way too.

I had a mess around the other day and fielded a narrow diamond, and used the 'focus down the flanks' tactic, and banged 4 past a team of similar quality in my CL group, just goes to show how tactics work on this game doesn't it haha!
    littledude072 likes this.

#JFT96

English Forum Moderator Cat Harrison's Avatar
    I've been hating on 4 4 2 for a long time, and recently it seems Narrow Diamond is also harder to beat than before, that is, what I have in the past had fair success with hasn't been working.

But I also wonder if the engine has changed in the way it treats home and away, especially in Cup and CL, I've had some slightly odd results.
    Sxrenity likes this.
    Expressed above is my own opinion. Your results may vary.
    ▬ ▬ ▬▬ ▬ ▬▬ ▬ >BvB
    < ▬ ▬▬ ▬ ▬▬ ▬ ▬
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast