Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Counter Formations Less Effective Now?

English Forum Moderator Cat Harrison's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joshyt View Post
    Sorry that is not all.

Not only does higher levels have better managers, lower teams are much closer in ability.

For example: 105q team versus 100q will have a tougher time than 25q team versus 20q. In the first scenario the first team is just 5% stronger. In the second scenario it is 25% stronger. this difference gets smaller every season.

This means all of the levers a manager can pull such as Possession/Strategy/win bonus etc etc mean less at higher levels. So these 'harder to beat' teams are actually much closer in natural ability than they used to be. These teams are not a bunch of clowns who will roll over and gladly take a beating.
    He knows all this.

This is not what he was commenting on. I have played soccer, watched countless hours of it, and I have played this game plenty enough to notice when things change, and in regards to the formations he mentioned, there does seem to be different results than expected for me. Maybe you don't have this opinion, that's ok. But that's what this thread is about. Please refrain from insulting other users of this Forum henceforth.
    Expressed above is my own opinion. Your results may vary.
    ▬ ▬ ▬▬ ▬ ▬▬ ▬ >BvB
    < ▬ ▬▬ ▬ ▬▬ ▬ ▬
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Cat Harrison View Post
    He knows all this.

This is not what he was commenting on. I have played soccer, watched countless hours of it, and I have played this game plenty enough to notice when things change, and in regards to the formations he mentioned, there does seem to be different results than expected for me. Maybe you don't have this opinion, that's ok. But that's what this thread is about. Please refrain from insulting other users of this Forum henceforth.
    THIS.

All i wanted was for other people with the same experiences to share them with me here, not for someone to start pointing out things we already know, and to imply the reason for what feels like changes to the game engine, to be down to us being 'inferior' managers and being 'found out'.

Thankyou, now maybe we can get back on topic?

I've got a game coming up against a 4-4-2 tomorrow, joint top of the league with me too, slightly less average quality, I'll let you all know how it goes.
    Liverpool FC - Team Showcase

"You'll Never Walk Alone."

#JFT96

I don't claim to be a Top Eleven expert but, if anyone would like advice, please don't hesitate to contact me through 'private messaging', I try to reply as soon as possible.

Rookie
    I'm level 17.

Happy to share my trophy cabinet - worth mentioning that I joined at the same time as a group of friends.

One is a token buyer who pretty much buys his entire scout list every season and 'power trains' - I have been in his division every season apart from one and always in same champions league. To win leagues I have needed 70+ points every time.

Also back to back cups in the 'new' style cup competitions is a particular highlight!

Infact my only motivation for this game is to try and make his spending a waste of time.
    Counter Formations Less Effective Now?-1.jpg
    Counter Formations Less Effective Now?-2.jpg

Where is he now??? Yesterday it was Yasina, today yoshyt, why Y????

Should Kaka' have been selected for Brazil's WC squad?
    Tell us ur opinion-

http://forum.topeleven.com/football-...-new-post.html

P.S.S The person in my avatar is NOT me! He is the God of Cricket, Sachin Tendulkar.

Quote Originally Posted by joshyt View Post
    I'm level 17.

Happy to share my trophy cabinet - worth mentioning that I joined at the same time as a group of friends.

One is a token buyer who pretty much buys his entire scout list every season and 'power trains' - I have been in his division every season apart from one and always in same champions league. To win leagues I have needed 70+ points every time.

Also back to back cups in the 'new' style cup competitions is a particular highlight!

Infact my only motivation for this game is to try and make his spending a waste of time.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	19679
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	19680
    FYI, The new Cup style is better and easier than the Older one

Should Kaka' have been selected for Brazil's WC squad?
    Tell us ur opinion-

http://forum.topeleven.com/football-...-new-post.html

P.S.S The person in my avatar is NOT me! He is the God of Cricket, Sachin Tendulkar.

A bit off topic but any tips on beating 4-4-2, 7 quality better than me ?

I went up against 442 today in the cup and to be honest did not know what to play, he was a level higher than me but only 1q diff, I have tried all sorts b4, so thought why should I always counter so thought I would see what would happen if I played 442 too and pressure bar was against me, could not get near them, so in 2nd have changed to 3N412 managed to equalize but they scored again straight away so went 3N-2N-3(AML/AMC/AMR)-2 and they added another so I am at a loss, in previous round I tried 4-3N-1-2 and won 1-0 with a pen and in return leg played 3N52 changing to 3N-3N-2W-2 winning 3-2
    F.C. United
    League Won 11
    League Runner up 4
    Cup Won 3
    Cup Finalist 3
    Champions League Won 5
    Champions League Finalist 9

Season 23 Level 23

United Til I Die
    League Won 12
    League Runner Up 4
    Champions League Won 2
    Champions League Finalist 7
    Cups Won 1
    Cup Finalist 2

Season 32 Level 27 (Retired)

I don't believe in "official" counter formations. There are a lot of factors that have an influence in the final result, and formation is only one of them. Quality of the first team is by far the most important one; if quality is similar, scoring or not in really clear chances (as second corners and counterattacks) is the key of the match. And there is an important part of randomness in the number of clear chances you have in a match.

So, my advice is to choose your formation depending on the skills of your players and the quality of your opponent: if his quality is worse, choose an offensive formation, if better, a defensive one, and with similar qualities, neutral formations like 442, or 451 usually work well. And then be lucky!!!

Cholo

Managed to beat the team joint 1st with me today, and the main threat to my title hopes.

He was fielding a, you guessed it, 4-4-2.

Decided to play the usual 4-5-1V against it, focussing passing down the flanks, attacking mentality, pressing the whole pitch.
    I dominated the stats, and I feel I could have easily put 4 past him, but one of his defenders played a blinder.

As you can see, I didn't get away freely, got hit by a 1st minute injury, so I'm glad I had my back up MC available at the rare time he's fit at the same time as my main MC.

His STs did seem to have a bad day, they got through on goal a couple of times before my defence halted them, I've been leaking goals all season so I'm glad they decided to perform properly today.

Quality must have played a BIG part here, although I've usually only just scraped through past teams like this fielding a 4-4-2, or narrow diamond.

Last edited by Sxrenity; 02-17-2014 at 12:16 PM.
    Liverpool FC - Team Showcase

"You'll Never Walk Alone."

#JFT96

I don't claim to be a Top Eleven expert but, if anyone would like advice, please don't hesitate to contact me through 'private messaging', I try to reply as soon as possible.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234