Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: How does captaincy affect your player and team?

Rookie
    In my experience with 5 teams, there is one definite effect of captaincy: if you sell a player on your captain list (even if he is 4th or 5th down the list) your team gets terrible form. And removing him from the list just before selling doesn't help. My hunch is he needs to be off captain list for 1 or 2 competitive games but I don't want to test this too much since it means I sell all my good players and have terrible form...

No I don't have *hard* evidence but it always seemed to happen to my teams over the last 10 seasons.
    Last edited by bridgy; 03-27-2015 at 06:44 AM. Reason: clarify excluding friendlies

Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by nikolgiorgos View Post
    So my friend Amane, I wonder in which way you 're making experiments ?
    Friendly doesn't do it. Friendly is incompetitive, the effect of it is similar to training which means the form will natually improve if you play friendly games. Even a bad form player will get his form fixed in a few games, making the test invalid.

In order to keep a player in low form, he must keep playing as much competitive games as possible so that there is no chance for his motivation to recover.

Another problem of a low form player is that he have negative effect on other player's form even when he is not the captain. But if you name him the captain, the result is so disastrous it is difficult to miss.

I had entire seasons dedicated to experiments as I refused to use a single token for a period of 10 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Amane Ito View Post
    Friendly doesn't do it. Friendly is incompetitive, the effect of it is similar to training which means the form will natually improve if you play friendly games. Even a bad form player will get his form fixed in a few games, making the test invalid.

In order to keep a player in low form, he must keep playing as much competitive games as possible so that there is no chance for his motivation to recover.

Another problem of a low form player is that he have negative effect on other player's form even when he is not the captain. But if you name him the captain, the result is so disastrous it is difficult to miss.

I had entire seasons dedicated to experiments as I refused to use a single token for a period of 10 seasons.
    I would like to know what you base this, in may view invented, premisses and hidden attributes for the game?

In my opinion you are putting personal emotions and real life parameters into a game, that is by fare not that complex
    Sully likes this.

considering quitting, since nothing is improved for veterans ... nothing and pay to win has become to dominante

FireCats is testing level - 36 -

I read Amane's comments on the impacts of captains on team play a few months ago and since then have been paying close to attention to selection and performance of captains. On the basis of my experience. I believe the captain can have a significant impact on overall team performance. Because the influences on team performance are so complex and variable, this is not a testable proposition in the scientific sense. It seems closer to an Economics or Psychology hypothesis.

My reason for believing Amane is on to something are three outlier games. In two cases, my team played sensationally well against high quality opponents matched by an 8 level performance by the team captain. In the third example, I was experiencing unexpected issues beating an inferior team at home until I made a mid-game sub of the captain replacing him with a new captain. The first captain had been performing at a mediocre level (6) and the new one came in and performed very well (an 8). After I had made the substitution, my team cleaned its act up and won the game convincingly.

None of this is definitive, but to me it strongly suggests Amane's is right.

An open question I have is selecting the position of the captain. I have no view on how that relates to ones tactics.

Greek Forum Moderator nikolgiorgos's Avatar
    I read Amane's comments on the impacts of captains on team play a few months ago and since then have been paying close to attention to selection and performance of captains.
    I read that too. I tried in another team I have in lv1 (for friendlies and experiments) which I 'm struggling to keep it in the same lv.
    (did that last season)
    Tanking is harder than you think, specially in first levels playing against newbies. So I thought instead of using illegal formations and players oop (with the danger of cards and injuries) to set my captain the worst player. Didn't help
    Nothing like using as GK someone else oop (but if your oppo does the same, no result).

Amane, if you want, you can try this experiment with a new team.

Some more tips from my experience :
    -There is no (hidden) motivation.
    -Bad form of a player is random and can hit like a disease any player of the team. This has nothing to do with playing many games. If a player is giving many matches then his form going (naturally) as a wave. Some games a 8, some 7, some 6 and so.
    -A rate of 6 isn't so bad for a GK ,DMC or MC but it's really bad for an AM or ST.
    - I had players that played 3 seasons without being in bad form (I mean continually rates of 4 or 5) even if they participate at most of the games. That's why I use only one GK every season. There is no need if he is good player, fast trainer and being in a good team.
    Gert Funck and Sully like this.
    Καλώς ήρθατε στο Ελληνικό φόρουμ
    http://forum.topeleven.com/%CE%93%CE...%B4%CE%B1.html

Dreamer
    The problem don't lies on how many matchs a player played, but the ratio of match vs training. The best form is maintained through a healthy balance between them, in order to keep the motivation value stable.

If you can use the same keeper for two competitive games a day, and his form never dropped below 7, you must have used green packs on him. If you didn't, you will suffer a bad form GK. Same as other positions.

Form 6 MC isn't that bad but they are rubbish compared to form 7 MCs. MC is the most demanding position in the game which make them suffer the most injuries, cards etc.

Unstable form is usually created by sudden form drop from a rare random event. In such case heavy drop in morale can been seen, when this happen and it could be fixed by using morale pack, the form will stay normal as if the unusual form drop never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Amane Ito View Post
    The problem don't lies on how many matchs a player played, but the ratio of match vs training. The best form is maintained through a healthy balance between them, in order to keep the motivation value stable.

If you can use the same keeper for two competitive games a day, and his form never dropped below 7, you must have used green packs on him. If you didn't, you will suffer a bad form GK. Same as other positions.

Form 6 MC isn't that bad but they are rubbish compared to form 7 MCs. MC is the most demanding position in the game which make them suffer the most injuries, cards etc.

Unstable form is usually created by sudden form drop from a rare random event. In such case heavy drop in morale can been seen, when this happen and it could be fixed by using morale pack, the form will stay normal as if the unusual form drop never happened.
    Again there is no motivtion factor.

Where do you get the casualty between rating and injury or rating and cards.

if carded the player is rated lower, not the other way around

I don't belive that rating from previous matches affects injury risk in any way.

What affect ratings however is if the player have had game changing influence, like many saves, assist, goals, card etc. Things in present game, not previous.
    Steppenwolf and nikolgiorgos like this.

considering quitting, since nothing is improved for veterans ... nothing and pay to win has become to dominante

FireCats is testing level - 36 -

Quote Originally Posted by Steppenwolf View Post
    I'm telling ya again, don't bother, being a captain or not does not affect performance of any player in your team... Players going up and down with form is common thing...
    It might be possible that a captain might get a bonus % in possession, skill or morale and since the list has 10 slots, all of them might get a bonus on a decreasing scale from 10 to 1. That seems logical, if anything, or else why not just nominate a captain, one slot?

VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    It might be possible that a captain might get a bonus % in possession, skill or morale and since the list has 10 slots, all of them might get a bonus on a decreasing scale from 10 to 1. That seems logical, if anything, or else why not just nominate a captain, one slot?
    It just cosmetic tho... There was idea in Nordeus to give some usefulness to captains, but there is no progress in that direction yet...

Dreamer
    The captain order was always there and had effect on the game since I played this game 3 years ago.
    For those who have won CL or cup before, I don't believe anyone can fail to notice its significance unless he is a heavy spender with 7~8* team.

Like the free kick and corner orders, if it wasn't programmed it won't have been there.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast